Middle Renewed Season 9 ABC

The Middle Renewed for Season 9

Hecks, yeah.

ABC has granted The Middle an early renewal, picking up the stalwart family sitcom for Season 9, it was announced on Wednesday.

In its new Tuesday time slot, The Middle thus far this season is averaging 6.4 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating, down a bit from its previous cycle yet giving ABC its most-watched sitcom in Tuesday’s lead-off spot in five years (since Last Man Standing circa 2011-12). That in turn has helped the Alphabet network launch a new, two-hour comedy block, which is rounded out by newbie American Housewife, Season 3 of Fresh Off the Boat and the sophomore sitcom The Real O’Neals.

Of note, The Middle’s renewal — its earliest pickup since its Season 3 order, which came in early January of 2011 — comes as the clock continues to run out on the Modern Family cast’s current deals, which expire at the close of Season 8.

The Middle has been one of the network’s most consistent performers and helped us to launch a whole new night of comedy when it moved to Tuesdays this season,” ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said in a statement. “The Indiana Hecks have found America’s sweet spot with their authentic, acerbic and always loving take on parenting, work, kids, marriage and life.”

Are you happy to see the Hecks are staying put?

1. Fan says:

Yea! Love me some Hecks. Always fun

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

ABC FORCED TO RENEW THE MIDDLE TO BOLSTER TUESDAY COMEDY BLOCK AND LEAD AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE SINCE MODERN FAMILY CONTRACTS EXPIRE THIS MAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Jason says:

Not a surprise really but good news just the same. I hope the show sticks around until we can see what Sue and Axel are going to do post graduation.

3. joe says:

Heck yeah, so happy

4. Nick Choo says:

Wonderful news!!!! And yeah, I believe Axl graduates in May this year (the season finale?), so we’ll definitely get to see what he gets up to post-graduation!

• J.Norman says:

Even though Axl has been in college for 4 years, I have a lot skepticism about him being a 4 year graduate. Especially when one semester he dropped all but one class

I think a more believable story line would be for Sue (and possibly even Brick) to graduate before Axl.

5. Kaicos says:

The one program that consistently makes me laugh. Glad they have been renewed.

6. Andrew Anderson says:

It exactly a funny sleeper show

7. Steven says:

It’s crazy how this show has managed to run so under the radar for 9 seasons now.

8. Leslie albritton says:

Yes I love in the middle and kinda like it on Tuesdays now😀

9. My favorite television show. Wonderful acting and normal parents and kids who are not always insulting them. Not full of sex and other garbage unlike Modern Family. Cannot remember when I have enjoyed a show this much. So grateful it is being renewed. Unfortunately, the Emmy’s always overlook the awesome acting on this show.

• maregolden says:

“Kids who are not always insulting them”? Have you seen the show? Axl is relentless in his insults to his parents, especially his mom. It’s one of the things that make the show so funny.

10. Michael says:

The writing is still really good and still funny. Glad we get another season

11. Kevin says:

Never really watched The Middle since the beginning. Wonder if the series should end after 10.

• msjaxon says:

It really shouldn’t. There is a lot more material left there. This sleeper show could go the distance if they keep writing this way.

12. Iakovos says:

THE MIDDLE is a genuinely funny sitcom… eight seasons in! Producers/writers smart not to mess much with the premise. The kids remain core and funny. Such humanity and joy. One of the most genuine laffers on the air today!

I pray nightly for the talent and luck of Patricia Heaton. Great actor with comedy and blessed to have had RAYMOND and MIDDLE. She even shined in lesser short-lived sitcoms. I am wondering how her record in primetime stacks up to Lucy’s and others with longevity.

13. Phil says:

Would love to catch up on The Middle, lost track of it right around Season 5 – is the series available to stream anywhere? Same thing with Modern Family and Black-ish – they all have syndication deals, so finding whole past seasons online is difficult.

14. Brigid says:

Good news! I still always enjoy this show. It never fails to make me laugh and feel.

15. Irene Mi says:

Great show, better than most of the others especially modern family. Very underrated but much loved

16. Jerry G says:

Great news! While I love “Modern Family,” it’s beginning to show its age and run out of ideas, “The Middle,” though, still has lots of potential to grow, in my opinion. They’ve gotten much better, more believable mileage out of the college-age years of Axl and Sue than “Modern Family” has with Hailey and Alex, for example. They are all just very real characters that still have a lot of life in them.

17. webly3 says:

Great news! This show hasn’t really lost its quality which is rare and frankly surprising.

18. Ben says:

Absolutely love this show! Family favourite.

19. CJKatl says:

Good news. This show is still excellent, unlike Modern Family which is running on fumes and should be put out of its misery. Now if only someone would give Eden Sher an Emmy nomination already.

20. kmw says:

Great news. It is doing so well for ABC

21. Carlos says:

The Middle is for me one of those rare cases where a show has improved thru the years. It still makes me laugh and even get teary eyed here and there. Excellent core cast and supporting characters. I don’t even watch modern Family anymore. Go Hecks!!

22. Bella says:

Yay! Great news! So happy. I love this show. Too bad more people aren’t watching it, but it’s in a bad time period.

23. Best comedy on TV right now. So consistent and just so funny! Love it!!

24. YTKylie says:

I love me some Axl and Brick….this is incredible news.

25. sludgehound says:

Love the show too. Heck I’d stick with the concept through the kids having families of their own (after 10 years of finding themselves). Solid writing and lot of heart.

26. Eric says:

I love this show. “Modern Family” fizzled for me a few seasons ago, but “The Middle” constantly entertains me.

27. ALM says:

Fantastic! A true situation COMEDY as it makes me laugh every episode, unlike most of what are called comedies and are critical darlings but low rated. I started to say this show deserves awards attention, but I changed my mind. That would probably ruin what is a true gem, a show about an average middle class American family trying to make it through life. Learn from this other networks who want awards buzz-worthy shows and create true comedies that people want to watch.

28. J.Norman says:

I doubt there was ever much of a question . . . after we held our breath to see how it would do in the very tough 8:00 Tuesday spot.
    TM has done a lot of the heavy lifting for ABC in the lead off position on (now) 2 nights.
    It’s natural spot would have been to follow Modern Family.

29. Lisa Echerd says:

Yeah! I just love this show. And I like it on Tuesday. I hope it gets a different show following it for next year. American Housewife is a one-note comedy.

30. Television says:

This is fantastic news! I will watch this show for as long as it is on the air. Every single episode is funny with at least one cast member. Brick has been great this year, lots of background comedy. Seriously though, the Christmas card where they put their dogs face on the girls head, I could not stop laughing at that card. I don’t ever see them running out of comedy in this show because all of the cast brings something to the table. I look forward to this every week.

31. Linda says:

Yes! I love them! Their battle with the neighbor from hell played by Brooke Shields. Great story!

32. Kailani says:

Great news for the most under-rated comedy in all of television. :)

33. Marci says:

Thank you, ABC. Love this show.

34. YESSS. I just love this show.

35. Walker says:

Heck yes!. Clean fun comedy. Unfortunately, it’s rare on TV.

36. Marla says:

Hells yes

37. Nana Hayes says:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

38. Michele Stiemke says:

I’m thrilled! ! I don’t watch much t.v. but I watch The Middle each week. Everyone knows theres no talking to me for that half hour Lol. I can so relate to them, along with the perfect match of people to the characters.

39. tazzy says:

I LOVE this show — glad to see ABC showing it some love, too! My pick for ABC comedies!

40. Debbie Mann says:

Very happy the show was renewed.I look forward to Tuesday evening because I get to see how the Heck’s are doing.

41. Paula says:

Currently doing a happy dance! At last some great news to celebrate. I have absolutely loved every moment of every season of The Middle and the Hecks are my all time favorite TV family! Now please expand Brad’s involvement (he could live with Sue and Lexie) and bring back Darrin and (no longer so weird) Ashley.

42. John says:

I love this series. It’s so funny.

43. I am thrilled to hear that The Middle has been renewed for Season 9! It is my family’s favorite network show.

44. Pennfield says:

LOVE this well written, well acted series–the best sitcom on TV (2 Broke Girls is second best)
    These are the only two sitcoms we watch! Congratulations THE MIDDLE; time for the cast and series to get well deserved Emmys!

45. Aliece says:

Love the Heck! My Dvr is full of all the episodes, I watch them constantly. I want the series to stick around long enough to see Heck grandbabies!

46. Hc says:

Yay! Thank goodness. Love this show! Always funny and relatable. More people should watch it.

47. Donna says:

Love the Hecks !!! My fave show. I have watched since the beginning. I got my sis watching and she loves it too. Good clean show the whole family can watch.

48. Crystal says:

Love this show! Happy it’s coming back for season 9

49. Kathleen M Romanyshyn says:

Love The Middle I feel like they are my family. I tape them every day and have seen every episode many times and will watch them again and again ,💗