Flash Recap Season 3

The Flash Recap: Barry Goes Back to the Future, Gets Spoiled on 3 Storylines

This week on The CW’s The Flash, Barry looped Iris in on a killer secret, Team Flash expanded and… I think we may have gotten a season finale date to jot down in the ol’ Palm Pilot!

Picking up a month after the Christmastime midseason finale, Barry and Iris have yet to unpack — and that included the emotional baggage the former is lugging around, having laid witness to his lady love’s murder, at Savitar’s hand, four months down the road. Iris  senses something is wrong, given Barry’s recent propensity to scream in his sleep, but he keeps mum. Until, that is, current events seem to point to the grim future he glimpsed being cemented.

For one, Central City is being plundered by… Plunder, the same next-gen thief that per the future newscast Barry catches. As such, Barry hesitates to collar Plunder the next chance he gets, but Kid Flash aka Wally intervenes, irking his mentor.

After the sad, sad soft opening for H.R.’s S.T.A.R. Labs museum, Barry pulls Iris into the time vault to reveal the altered byline on the “Crisis” headline from 2024, and then drive home the point by detailing what he saw upon stumbling into the near future. And the fact that Savitar seemingly has been stowed away inside the Philosopher’s Stone, inside the Speed Force, eases his mind not at all.

Barry then confides in the rest of the team (minus Joe), and after H.R. demonstrates, using dominoes, how the future must be carefully altered, they set out to chronicle whatever they can possibly know about the time leading up to Iris’ death. To that end, Cisco vibes himself and Barry back to that moment — May 23, 2017 (season finale, episode counters out there?) — where they study the news crawl on the bus shelter. The headlines include Music Meister’s “six-figure book deal,” a new gorilla attack and “Killer Frost Still at Large.” (Also, Joe is honored at City Hall, which is nice.)

After the team takes note of all those headlines/spoilers, Barry’s first order is business is to let Wally catch prison escapee Plunder, as a small first step toward altering the future — and Kid Flash indeed is a success.

Elsewhere in the episode:

* Caitlin reached out to Julian about possibly helping her nip her powers in the bud, seeing as her cuffs have piss-poor battery life. Julian at first retorts, “I don’t cure metahumans, I put them in prison,” but later apologizes for being a jerk, revealing the guilt he feels over the CCPD task force deaths at Alchemy’s hand. Caitlin invites him to join Team Flash, a notion which at first blindsides, but ultimately is seconded, by Barry and the others. At Barry and Iris’ loft-warming party, Cisco and Julian gift Caitlin with a “solar charger” pendant to keep her cuffs juiced.

* At episode’s end, we see the metahuman Gypsy arrive from Earth-19, looking to hunt down H.R.

What did you think of The Flash‘s midseason opener?

1. Jeff hunter says:

Loving the Flash episode tonight and Lot great DC night!jeff

2. James R. says:

“I swear on both my parents’ lives…”

Bro your parents are dead.

3. Jim says:

How do you know who came through the portal at the end of the episode? Did I miss something?

4. Lynn says:

Let’s hope HR isn’t who he’s pretending to be and he’s either more like Wells or Wells comes back and this Gypsy is successfull and hunts him down because seriously I can’t stand this guy.

5. Zak says:

I really wonder if “Joe being honored at city hall” is a hint that he dies in the future and he’s being “honored.” Especially since they went out of the way to imply that it was a good thing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yikes. Worst spring EVER for the West family.

• Flick says:

That was my first reaction too!

• Shannon says:

My theory is that Joe is going to be the one that is ultimately killed by Savitar. They are purposefully keeping him out of the loop and they will be so worried about Iris’ safety that they will forget to worry about Joe. Joe’s death will tear Iris and Barry apart because of their mutual guilt over his death. Iris will feel guilty because she was the one who was supposed to die and Barry will have lost his last father figure.

6. JJ says:

Really strong episode and set up for the rest of the season. If Iris doesn’t die, I think another Team Flash member will, my bet is on Joe or Julian! Can’t wait to see the rest of the dominoes fall.

7. Jason says:

I can’t really accept the inevitability of Killer Frost. They tease it so much that I feel it may be a red herring of sorts. Not that she couldn’t lose control now and again, but I feel they would never leave her like that. Nobody wants to lose Caitlin. Not the characters on the show, not the writers and certainly not the audience.

• AnnieM says:

Exactly. Also, can anyone explain to me why it was taken for granted from day one that Caitlin’s powers would suddenly make her evil? Her own husband is a perfect example – his Earth 2 doppleganger was evil, but the Ronnie of ‘our’ Earth had the same powers, and *wasn’t* evil. I find it hard to believe that not one of the characters would have pointed this out by now, or did i miss something?

8. Red Snapper says:

There was lots I liked about this episode and one thing in particular that bothered me. I’m glad Barry told the team about Savitar killing Iris already instead of carrying the secret around and trying to fix it himself for a few more episodes. I also liked that Julian is going to join the team, he’ll be a great addition. It looks like we’ll be seeing Grodd again soon and possibly Gorilla City which would be cool. I am worried about the mention of Joe being honored and hope it doesn’t mean he died. What bothered me is Barry wondering if the future could be changed. I thought it had been established that it could, and please correct me if I’m wrong, with Flashpoint and Eddie’s death? Jay Garrick even told Barry that it was only one possible future. It seemed like a pointless subplot to give Barry some angst. I get that he wanted to make sure that Iris dying could be prevented but to me it seemed a bit forced. It brought me out of the episode while I wondered aloud about all the ways he already knew that the future could be changed. I don’t know, maybe I was overthinking it.

• KCC says:

Or, if time cannot be changed, Flashpoint was destined to happen and didn’t change anything, it’s just the way things are supposed to be. HR said something like: by trying to change destiny you’re really only chasing it. To me that means Barry isn’t really changing anything he’s only doing what he is destined to do, there are no “wrong” choices or for that matter any choices at all. That’s the frustrating thing about time travel story lines. Is there one true timeline? Can anything change that one true timeline? If so, doesn’t that mean there isn’t one timeline but an infinite number with none of them being an original timeline? That’s what I got out of all the discussions in this episode about time travel…and now my head hurts.

9. James D says:

I loved tonight’s episode. Why didn’t HR shoot Savitar when they were in the future? did I miss something? he was aiming at him but just let Iris get shanked. interesting plot development and why is Gypsy after HR? I hope they don’t pull another Wells is secretly a bad guy again I doubt they will; but I think there is more to HR than we’ve seen. Great episode all around.

10. M says:

When is Barry gonna learn not to mess with the future/past?

11. Nathan Everett says:

Maybe Joe goes honored cause he died??

12. Glenda Bacon says:

So…great episode…………….And Iris looked GREAT!!!!!

13. Ansing says:

I think Julian in some way is going to be the key to defeating Savitar (resulting in his own death of course). I can’t see that they are going to make him a permanent member of Team Flash. I can’t wait to see how they resolve this one, and then no more speedster villains for a while please

• Calista Flockhart says:

You said it. And I think the time travel element is overused too. It’s beome the norm rather than the exception.

14. HopeGirl08 says:

Music Meister is mention in the episode, so when they change something mayor they accidently turn music meister instó a villian and they The Flash and Supergirl fight against he.

15. Calista Flockhart says:

So…the opening scene was Barry and Iris in bed. The fastest man alive; wonder how fast it was over : )

16. gmathg says:

Did you notice that there was another Barry/Flash in the background when Iris is about to get killed? He is at the trees and can be seen when Barry and Sisco stop reading the headlines and turn to look at the death scene. He will travel again at that scene in an upcoming episode – maybe multiple Flash(es) is the solution to stop Savitar???

• Geaneciue says:

The Barry/Flash by the trees is the one who travelled to the future while throwing the philosophers stone into the speed force. And the one who is begging Savitar to not kill Iris is the future flash. They used multiple flash(es) in season 2 (well,they used 2 of them if not more) but still that will end up being the same thing if they bring multiple flash (es).

17. Gift says:

Not bad at all. Love this episode.