Post Mortems
Legends of Tomorrow George Lucas

How Legends Avoided a Star War With George Lucas — Plus, 'Multiple' Rips?!

When the Legends of Tomorrow reunited with Rip Hunter this Tuesday night, the MIA Waverider captain was in the midst of helming a film school project alongside the George Lucas.

When fisticuffs and a futuristic firefight quickly broke out, thanks to Legion of Doom members Damien Darhk and Malcolm Merlyn, George was scared off of filmmaking, meaning no Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark movies would ever come to be. As a result, Ray Palmer and Nate Heywood saw their respective smarts fade away, having never been sparked to study science or archaeology.

The CW series of course has depicted famous faces such as Albert Einstein and Al Capone, but presenting a young version of George Lucas “definitely” demanded extra prudence, says co-showrunner Phil Klemmer.

Spinning a story around a real, living person “is something we have to let our legal department know about well in advance. There are strict parameters, especially when it’s somebody who’s very powerful and very concerned about how they’re portrayed,” Klemmer shares.

“We take a piss on a lot of things on our show. There’s nothing sacred that we can’t make a joke out of,” the EP notes. Working a super-successful filmmaker the likes of Lucas into a storyline, though, offered an opportunity to pay homage, in the form of real stakes for two characters that revere him (if not Howard the Duck).

“The [Star Wars and Raiders] films shaped our own sensibilities and sent all of us writers into careers in Hollywood, so we are not looking to make fun of George Lucas. We are trying to send a love letter to this guy,” Klemmer says. “We saw a way to explore that with Ray and Nate, and how George Lucas’ body of work affected their lives. And I don’t think that’s hyperbole at all, because I fall into that category as well.”

Alas, even after the Legends survived a trash compactor (heh) and convinced George to stay on course as a filmmaker, their crisis was far from over. Rather, their bid to return former team leader Rip Hunter to his daring, dynamic ways fell short, despite film student Phil’s attempt to fake his way through time mastery — before getting abducted by the Legion.

“The crazy thing is there won’t be just one new version of Rip’s character this season. There will be multiple versions, and they’re not all improvements,” Klemmer previews with a laugh. “You will get to see Arthur Darvill do a full-on Jekyll and Hyde transformation — maybe Jekyll-Hyde-Jekyll, or Hyde-Jekyll-Hyde.

“I don’t know how many times we swap him, but he’s playing essentially three characters,” effuses the EP. “Some of them are lovable, some of them are hard to explain!”

Want more scoop on Legends, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Karen MT says:

I want to know which superheroes were on the Hanna Barbera show that had the Legion of Doom. Obviously it’s not the Superfriends we know!

• ninamags says:

It was the Superfriends. It was Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and depending on the year: The Wonder Twins or those two kids that helped out.

I LOVED that show.

• Mark says:

It was mainly the “Challenge of the Superfriends” series, in my mind (and I was watching the original broadcasts on Saturday mornings) the best of the run to that point.

• Karen MT says:

I know who was in OUR version. I meant who was in THEIR version! :-D

2. ninamags says:

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!!!!

OMG! It was amazing. They finally get around to showing time altering in a real, devastating way with serious consequences.

Poor Mick, he’s feeling really lonely.

So glad this show is coming back for another year.

3. Joey Padron says:

The episode was so good, Good mentions and references to George Lucas’s movies. good to see Rip back on the show again and reunite with the team even it was for a bit. Glad Stein could help Mick and be there for him. Happy the show is coming back for another season!

4. Robert says:

In the coming attractions they showed Nate & Vixen in bed together. Is that happening?

5. Mo says:

This ep was a blast even Nate was tolerable. I’m not a Star Wars fan so I don’t get the love for the franchise at all. But the show made all the easter eggs work.

6. Red Snapper says:

I am a major Star Wars and Indiana Jones geek so I loved tonight’s episode. I had a huge grin on my face most of the time especially during the trash compactor scene. I can’t even imagine a world without the films of George Lucas. Raider’s is where I first found my love of history, which I eventually studied, and Star Wars started my love of all things Sci-Fi. I so badly wanted to be Indiana Jones when I grew up or a smuggler in space. I had a bit of a thing of a thing for Harrison Ford, still do actually.

7. Chloe says:

I want Amaya and Mick together, is that weird? It would be a great way to show his other side.

8. Coach potato says:

Great episode but this article doesn’t answer its headline … just how did the producers avoid a star war? Did George Lucas even know this was being done? Does he have to be informed, legally? Personally it has always seemed to me that George is open to parody of himself.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Spinning a story around a real, living person “is something we have to let our legal department know about well in advance”….”

So yes, there was a(n implied) legal process. He did not wish to get into particulars/detail how the sausage gets made.

9. Kobo Mac says:

The only disappointing thing is they did not say “I have a bad feeling about this” when they were in the trash compactor.

• Mr. X says:

I thought Sara’s “Don’t just stand there, try to brace it with something” was just as funny but it sounded like it was added in post.