Supergirl Spoilers

Supergirl Director Kevin Smith Previews 'Beautiful' Alex/Maggie Moments, Laments Kara/Mon-El's Doomed Love

“We go to space, we have special effects, she even blows up a ship at one point,” director Kevin Smith tells TVLine of Monday’s Supergirl (The CW, 8/7c). “But my favorite scene we did was just Kara and Mon-El sitting on the couch.”

A self-proclaimed Arrow-verse fanboy, Smith — who has also directed two episodes of The Flash — believes the shows are at their best when the characters lift their masks (where applicable) and relate to each other as people, resulting in “relationship dramas that just happen to have costumes in them.”

“What you’re seeing on Supergirl is this budding relationship between Kara and Mon-El that’s starting to feel [like The Flash‘s Barry and Iris],” Smith explains. “The writers are going to make us fall in love with these guys, and I hope they really nourish that story, because I think they’re wonderful together. There’s something very exciting and star-crossed there. … And the actors! Whenever Melissa [Benoist] and Chris [Wood] film a scene, it’s Charm City.”

But Smith is also aware of the relationship’s built-in tragedies, assuming the writers decide to stick with Kara and Mon-El’s original storyline from the comics.

“Unfortunately, I don’t know if we’ll get them forever, because I know the comic books,” he says. I’m not saying they can’t be together, but… yeah, they can’t be together. But I’m hoping we get the best of both worlds: We’ll watch the dance as we lead them towards a relationship, then deal with them when they can’t be together — if they end up playing things out like they do in the comics. The good news is that they can take liberties on the show. They’re not beholden to particular storylines.”

Of course, Kara wasn’t the only Danvers sister whose love life Smith couldn’t wait to explore. In many ways, he says, “Alex is the heart and soul of this show.”

Another highlight for Smith was getting to film at the DEO with J’onn J’onzz, “one of [his] favorite characters in the DC pantheon,” as the gang discusses how to rescue Supergirl and Mon-El from Roulette’s clutches on Slaver’s Moon.

“Hank turns to Alex, and in that perfect intonation — deep and rolling — he says that Slaver’s Moon has a red sun,” Smith recalls. “Me and Eric [Carrasco], who wrote the episode, our nipples got hard. We lost our fluids.”

At the end of the day, Smith says, “I’m there because I watch the show on a regular basis, so getting to go up there was a privilege. For me, it’s dream-come-true territory. I often describe it as being like Make-A-Wish. It’s ridiculous that they cut you a check for this sort of thing.”

Your hopes for Smith’s directorial debut on Supergirl? The rest of the season in general? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. Lame says:

Mom-El is definitely the new Hook. It’s such a shame.

• Wordsmith says:

Does that make James the new Baelfire?

• Pamela says:

Yeah, James and OUAT Neal both thrown into the trash once a male character more swoon worthy to the shippers comes along. such a shame for the shippers and fans of the characters who were watching from the beginning only to have the rug pulled out from them.

• Harmony Rose says:

I have literally never seen hetero shippers for this show. Last season the big ship was Kara/Cat with some Kara/Lucy thrown in. Like people ship her with men? Why?

• ninergrl6 says:

I love Hook & I love Mon-El, so thanks for that comparison

• Mary says:

He’s not as gross as H00k though.

• Frank says:

No as gross as Hook though, as I say it as a former Hook fan in s2. I just hate how they are dumbing Kara down for this storyline, and how much space they’re giving HIM. While Sanvers is all about Alex’s personal growth, Kara despite being the lead isn’t getting any real spotlight. It’s all about the fratboy’s ass having to mature and understand he’s a hero *rolls eyes forever*

2. Lee says:

I really liked Mon-El in the beginning but once he started to get more focus over Kara, I got annoyed. Kara’s main purpose this season is just to support Mon-El. Kara should be the main focus, yet she doesn’t have a story of her own. I’d be fine with the romance part if it wasn’t Kara’s main story this season.

• Mary says:

I was looking forward to it being less about romance for her this season since they had all of the Winn-Kara-James stuff going on through much of the first season and then Kara-Jame-Lucy. But that’s about all they have for her this season. Where is Kara learning to be a reporter story? It’s barely there.

• Harmony Rose says:

I could tolerate Mon-el, barely, when I thought he was going to be a much younger brother type to her. But as soon as the writers decided to have a romance there, he just completely unnecessary.

3. MG says:

When will they stop pushing Mon-El on us? It’s such a shame, this show used to be all about strong female characters, you know? Not about the strongest female of all not having a real storyline because she needs to babysit a manchild, help him grow and fall in love with him in a very OOC fashion… with everything new thing I watch and read I’m getting more and more turned off the show. Meh I guess it was bound to happen since they moved to the CW. Anyway I hope the writes fix this BS

4. Butch says:

Unless he is referring to Mon-El spending 1000 years in the Phantom Zone due to lead poisoning, what comic book story is he referring to that says Mon-El and Kara can’t be together?

5. Carmen P says:

Happy to read about Alex/Maggie but extremely annoyed to find that they’re still going for Kara/MonEl. It feels so rushed to me

• jj says:

why do Kara & Mon El feel rushed to you but you’re ok with Alex & Maggie? Kara & Mon El and Alex & Maggie have known each other the same amount of time. Alex & Maggie are declaring feelings for one another, Alex came out for her etc. Mon El has started having feelings for Kara and that’s about it. Alex & Maggie are moving at a much faster pace than Kara & Mon El. So not sure why you’re ok with A&M but feel K&ME are rushed?

• Carmen P says:

Because with sanvers there’s been hints they’re going the romantic route since the second episode they met while K/M disliked each other until 3 episodes ago. Also Kara said she was breaking up with James because she wanted to focus on herself and her work so this sudden romance with Mon-El makes no sense.

• jj says:

there is no romantic relationship with Mon-El and Kara yet. Your first sentence doesn’t make sense. They’ve been pushing a romantic relationship between Alex & Maggie from their second episode that they met…so it’s a relationship that has been rushed faster.

6. Sam says:

i didnt mind mon-el when he first arrived and I quite liked him and his fun scenes with winn but since making him suddenly want to mate with kara and forcing this relationship… just makes me want a single kara focusing on the job and looking out for her friends/sister without the 3 or 4 love interests vying for her attention. such a waste of a potentially interesting character (and the amazing chris wood), instead forcing this cringy star-crossed romance.

• Frank says:

I miss the Danvers night moments, S1 was special to me because it focused on the sisters and Alex/J’onn. This season is all about romance, I wonder if its the new network pushing for it. Sanvers works, but MonEl/Kara is so forced and it’s a pity when it happens to such a strong female lead…

7. Isa says:

Mon-El needs to go!

8. Chris says:

Barf. I didn’t sign up for this. I never thought a relationship would ever be enough to make me want to drop a show but I was very very wrong. I guess I’ll have to get my cool fight scenes fix from youtube

9. Marie says:

What’s the deal with monel and Kara? They are nothing like Barry and Iris. The latter feels like a real organic relationship whereas the former feels like the writers didn’t know what to do after Jimmy so they decided to throw the first CW attractive guy at Kara and expect us to drool over them. Stop this madness just let Kara be single jeez

• Georgia Madman says:

Barry and Iris are awful. It brings down the show.

• jj says:

what is organic about Barry & Iris? They are foster siblings who you are told before the show even started (because of comics) and heavily pushed by the writers that they are destined to be together. There’s nothing organic there.

• Emma says:

Barry was 11 when he was fostered by Joe and he already had a crush on Iris before he moved in the West house. Your argument is invalid. And of course they will try to stay ture to the comics, that doesnt mean it cant be organic.

• jj says:

I don’t think you know how to use the word invalid. There is nothing organic about being told this two characters will be together regardless if they have chemistry etc. There is also nothing organic about two people who were raised as siblings getting together.

• Supergirlfan says:

It feels EXACTLY like that

10. Georgia Madman says:

I like Mon-El and Kara and I don’t think they’re spending too much time with the relationship. What would really help is get rid of Winn and bring back Cat.

• Nat says:

Kara’s arc this season has been all about mentoring and being with Mon-El. She hasn’t had an actual storyline so far so what do you mean they’re not spending too much time with the relationship? All season has been about their relationship!

I don’t particularly like Winn but getting rid of him wouldn’t help (he hasn’t had even half the screentime he had by episode 8 last season). Mon-el however is the 3rd character with most screentime (first being Kara and second being Alex) which makes no sense because he is a new character and hasn’t earned that much focus in the audience’s eyes.

What would help is to cut his screentime and give more back to the other regular cast members. And if they gave Kara a storyline that would be great too

11. Jason says:

I am amazed so many people attached to this show are so oblivious to how fans feel about Kara x mon-el relationship. Lot of people are fine with Chris wood but are very against a forced romance

• emily says:

Lots of people love karamel. Their very popular on YouTube at least.

• Cara says:

Youtube popularity means nothing 😂 both Kara/Cat and Kara/Lena are more popular than Kara/Mon-El on youtube, twitter, tumblr and AO3. So let’s not talk fandom here. Most people dislike the way Kara doesn’t have a storyline this season because of Mon. It’s a fact and it’s kinda funny to see how everyone from the show keeps promoting his character and ignoring the audience

• jj says:

how is it a “forced” relationship? Compared to Alex & Maggie, why is Kara & Mon-El considered forced? It’s the same kind of situation, two people met and started developing feelings.

• M says:

Because it happened in the span of three episodes, Kara had just broken up with James and it’s insanely OOC of Kara to be into a guy who has the opposite morals as her and who saw as a Kal so soon after meeting him.

• Supergirlfan says:

I think they pretend not to see, I dont know how long that will last…

12. Katherine215 says:

I like Kara and Mon-El and am interested in a relationship between them. I would like James to be less-sidelined and for Kara to also have a storyline independent of her love life and her sister’s love life.

• Ana Rita says:

kara isn’t that involved in her sister’s loved life. her parts in it are completely normal, she’s alex’s sister after all and alex of course comes out to her and confides in her, she’s her family

13. JJ says:

I have to agree with the other comments. Kara and Mon-El’s relationship feels rushed and forced, it isn’t fun to watch. Kara’s lack of storyline outside of Mon-El is hurting her character like crazy; she hasn’t overcome any big challenges this season and hasn’t had any emotional moments that would make her grow as a character. I find myself rooting for Alex and J’onn rather than rooting for her which makes me very sad as she was my favorite character in season 1. I hope the writers listen to the fans eventually

• Supergirlfan says:

I miss the emotional moments about Kara so much :///

• LB says:

Not trying to be rude or start drama but their relationship is not rushed because there is none. Mon-El has a crush on her and I’m pretty sure Kara feels the same way but Kara has yet to admit any feelings for Mon-El yet. If anything Alex and Maggie’s relationship is rushed. Both pairs met at about the same time and we are about half way through and Alex and Maggie are already a couple. I do agree that Kara should have a storyline and they should spend a little less time on Kara and Mon-El.

14. LaKeeau says:

No one needs to hear about the loss of anything. Could you be less gross? Kara and Mon-El is terrible!

15. nellie says:

I’m sorry, I like Kevin but he is just dumb if he thinks MonEl and Kara are anything like Barry and Iris. We spent two seasons, building the Westallen relationship and both characters throughout those episodes have grown independent of each other. These 9 episodes have been about Kara baby sitting the playboy from Daxam.

Mon El is not likable to me. He is disrespectful, intrusive and flat out wrong for Kara so I’m quite frankly hoping for this doomed ‘love story’ to end. Why are we liking a guy who continously tries to make Supergirl to be this selserving individual or claims that she already is.

Also, I’m really not liking the fact that these writers continously sideline James in everything. He is apart of the main cast but yet has been given less screentime than Wood who was just brought in. The Guardian arc better be given more screen time because for the writers to push out the black guy in favor for the boring(Mon El is boring to ME) white guy is very problematic.

• Agree with everything you said. Nothing against Chris but Mon-el has had more screen time than James and Maggie put together, and they’re both part of the main cast! I want more James and a lot more Maggie and them both working together as a vigilante/cop duo would be so cool.

• jj says:

Complete disagree the boring character is James. Out of all four DC shows on the CW, James is the dullest of all the characters. I don’t know if it’s the writing or the actor, but James is so incredibly dull.

• Asia says:

Yeah, I’ve given up on Supergirl but I completely with you on the subject on Mon-El. I don’t buy that he’s better for Kara than James. He’s a douchey frat boy. I really hate how the writers handled James and Kara. It left such a bad taste in my mouth and it pissed me off so much. And I wasn’t even that invested in them as a couple (I did want to see their relationship play out). James has been sidelined so much it’s ridiculous. One episode he showed up at the last fives minutes and there was one episode he wasn’t even in. I agree it is problematic that he’s been pushed out of the way for Mon-El. Kara and Mon-El are nothing compared to Barry and Iris. It’s like comparing a five-course meal to old, hard, chewed up and stepped on gum.

16. Mandy says:

Look at Westallen’s impact. Stop comparing ugly mon-el /Kara to them tho.

17. Kael says:

please stop pushing Mon-El on us. Just stop. Kara/Supergirl is the lead here, not pasty white alien cliche douche, stop using Kara and Supergirl as a plot device to get his story going. in fact, we don’t even need Mon-El’s story, Winn and James’s stories are much more interesting tbh. why not just bring back what made season one great, strong female characters. like Cat Grant and Lucy Lane, heck bring back M’gann too, her and J’onn’s storylines are very interesting. give Supergirl back her show and let Mon-El disappear into the ends of space

18. Luli says:

Yesss for more Kara and Mon El!!!

19. Yay says:

Here for the beautiful Alex/Maggie moments. Well done leading with that in the title!

• njbron says:

yeah, and then all we got was Kevin drooling over Mon-el and Kara. blah blah blah. then almost at the end, ONE. SINGLE. SENTENCE. about Alex and Maggie: “The Alex and Maggie relationship starts turning into something really beautiful,” he teases. “We got to do a couple of scenes with them, early in the relationship, where they start to figure out who they are as a couple.” ONE. I feel triggered by queer baiting all over again. C’mon SG writers – prove that ain’t so.

• Yay says:

Agreed. But at least the writer of this article knows what the readers want. They can only report what they’re told. Unfortunately now that Kara/mon-el are definitely gonna be romantic for some reason, I fear Sanvers will suffer and be pushed aside for them. We’ll see. Maybe Supergirl will keep surprising us.

20. Jen says:

Welp looks like this girl right here won’t be watching live. I hope they upload sanvers scenes, J’onn, Winn and Kara fight scenes quickly on Youtube! PS writers if you read this please stop forcing monel on us like this. He’s bland and ruining Kara

21. Ugh. More mon-el? Really? I was fine with him at first but this forced romance with him and Kara needs to stop. She’s the lead, give her a storyline of her own. What about that speech she gave at the start of the season about needing to figure out her life as Kara Danvers? We’ve barely seen any of that? What about her starting to take a leadership role this season? Practically none of that, she’s more like an employee of the deo at this point.
    So many interesting new character this season and they focus on the most boring of them all.

• Jen says:

It’s hard to believe how the people that wrote season 1 and this season’s sanvers and J’onn/M’gann are the same people that are slowly ruining their own show by making Kara useless and pushing Mon-el on us

22. Camy says:

Monel this, monel that, monel in the promos, monel in the sneak peeks, monel in the interviews, monel in the stills, monel f***ing everywhere. Stop

• Let’s not forget mon-el in the crossover! Cause who needs Alex?

• Camy says:

Right! It’s not like she’s a skilled soldier or anything. It’s way smarter to take the dumb bland new male character to the crossover because reasons. Who would want the second most important and liked character in the show to be there?

23. Trust me, Kevin, you’re not the only one lamenting Kara and Mon-Els relationship…

24. Red Snapper says:

I don’t get all the Mon-El hate. I like his character and Chris Wood does a great job portraying him. I do not feel like Kara’s story is being sacrificed for Mon-El. They need to grow his character. I think there’s been a pretty good balance of character development and story for most of the characters. The relationship and feelings between Mon-El and Kara have grown naturally. It feels organic and most definitely not forced like the Jimmy/Kara relationship did. They have so much chemistry. I read a lot of DC comics and know a lot about the DC Universe(s) so I have an idea where the story might be going. I do hope they change a few things.

• JJ says:

His character needs to grow, true, but it should’ve been done slowly, letting us get used to him. Shoving this brand new character in our faces and making him have more screentime than most of the main cast was a terrible move. He has sidelined other characters and to be frank, it’s annoying that he’s in every other scene when he showed up merely in the beginning of this season.

Kara’s story HAS been compromised. In season 1 by episode 8 Kara had overcome big challenges (red tornado for example) and had very emotional scenes (hologram mom, Astra, etc) that helped her character grow, scenes that made us root for her. This season she hasn’t had any of that… her most emotional scenes have been with Alex about her coming out so it wasn’t even about Kara herself!

She’s the main character, the show is called SUPERGIRL for god’s sake and Kara hasn’t grown even one bit since the season premiere. The reason she hasn’t had development is because all the time she doesn’t spend kicking alien butt, she spends with Mon-El (who’s kind of replaced Cat). But this time is spent helping HIM grow and unfortunately, unlike s1 with Cat, it’s a very one sided relationship in terms of character growth. With Cat, both of them would grow and develop after every episode (Also, Kara got to talk about her thoughts and feelings with her which helped us the audience get to know her better) but with Mon-El we don’t get to know anything about Kara. It’s all Mon-El, always.

Also Kara/James was developed throughout all season 1. How is that forced?! Their break up did seem forced though just saying. Kara and Mon-El’s feelings were rushed. They disliked each other in one episode, then the next episode Mon-El, out of the blue, asks if Kara’s single and the next episode they’re kissing?? Explain to me how THAT isn’t forced.

But anyway it’s a fact that Kara doesn’t have her own storyline this season and that’s on Mon-El and the writer’s trying to push him on us

• jj says:

You might not like Mon-El, but it’s quite delusional to claim Kara and Mon-El is being forced and yet claim that Kara & James were forced. The pilot episode had Kara crushing on James right away. James was included as a character simply to be the love interest. And the whole first season was focused on forcing that relationship forward. Until the writers over the break realized they actually don’t have any chemistry together. Kara & James are the perfect example of a forced couple and how it failed.

Your depiction that Mon-El is in every other scene is also quite off. I agree that Kara’s work life exploring being a journalist hasn’t been shown enough (although there has been some of it) but there’s been so much more going on this season that just Mon-El. In addition to Kara as a journalist, there’s been the development of Kara & Lena’s friendships, there’s been a huge amount of time dedicated to Alex & Maggie (whose relationship is developing at a much faster rate than the budding potential Mon-El & Kara relationship, there’s been J’onn and M’gann storyline, there’s the Kara & Clark storyline, Kara exploring what it means to be a Kryptonian, there’s the guardian storyline etc. Mon-El has been a small part of the season.

Should Kara have more storylines, sure, but at least Mon-El’s storyline is her storyline too. Alex & Maggie, J’onn & M’gann, the Guardian storylines aren’t about her at all.

• tvloverSA says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. …it makes sense why kara will appriciate time with someone who is frankly weird from humans like her…
          Monal brings the light loughther that I felt was lacking when this s2 started. ..which is so so good…

25. Joey Padron says:

Good interview with Kevin about new episode. Can’t wait to watch it! He did a great job directing episodes of The Flash.

26. Anushka says:

I’m happy to hear that Alex and Maggie’s relationship will get some great development!
    But ugh, I’m honestly so over Mon-El, and comparing Kara/Mon-El with beautiful and iconic Westallen is ridiculous, especially because objectively those two relationships have absolutely nothing in common. The stories are nothing alike… at all.

27. Cyn Calderon says:

Ugh. No to Mon-El and Kara. Its definitely forced. There isnt any real chemistry. Let Kara be alone. Let her stand on her alone. Shes a strong woman, let her be that! Also, are we going to just ignore te real chemistry between Lena Luthor and Kara/Supergirl? Seriously?!?!

• JC says:

i honestly don’t understand why they cast Katie McGrath if they didn’t plan on developing her relationship with Kara. That woman has crazy chemistry with everyone. And she only has scenes with Kara/Supergirl so…. what was the idea?!

28. susan says:

Supergirl is supposed to be about the strongest woman on the planet. There are very few shows that don’t have a strong male lead. Supergirl was one of the few. With Mon-El and Guardian, the writers have pushed Supergirl back in to an equal at best, a side kick at other times. She should be the main character.

The best moments are her interactions with Alex and the great Calista Flockhart.
    Stop ramming more male characters into this show and making Kara a 3rd wheel.

29. JC says:

I’m already sick of Kara and Mon-El. I wanted a show about Supergirl, season 1 was good because it was a story about this girl learning to be a hero. now it’s just turning into forced romance with playboy who conveniently felt from the sky. even with James, Kara and Lucy in s1 Kara’s growth was still the main focus. Mon-El was fun in the beginning when he was messing around with Winn not when he’s dragging Kara’s story line down. The show didn’t need this, Supergirl can be a perfect lead without all the constant love interests.
    Alex and Maggie are great. Gives us more Lena, J’onn and M’gann, those are all more interesting character. and let Supegirl focus on herself, like she wanted in the beginning of the season

30. Supergirl fan ❤ says:

As a Kara fan, it’s painful for me to watch what they’re doing to her… in season 1 she felt like such a well rounded character and had so many things going for her and things to overcome. She came out as Supergirl and had to figure out whom Supergirl is, become a hero in her own right, had family issues, anger issues (also had to deal with her dark, repressed thoughts coming out), work issues, love…and so many relationships.. she was a sister, a daughter, (a cousin), a niece, best friend, an employee (protégé really), a love interest and a symbol/hero and a DEO agent.
    In season 2 Clark said that being Kara is just as important as being Supergirl and the talk with Cat on the journey that she’s about to take, she has to take to evolve… I was so looking forward to that and it’s been thrown away for this romance (after weirdly ending the previous one…to explore Kara..which never happened) and Kara’s character is neglected and is supporting Mon-El rather than being that lead and the focus.
    I’m also a Danvers sisters fan and though the show was titled Supergirl, it also felt very much like a story about Kara & Alex’s sisterhood. They were the heart and soul and the most important relationship of the show… I miss that. When the world was ending they were at the heart of it, also happened with the Black Mercy, the Red K., they’ve always been at the heart of the drama and even villains realized the importance of their relationship and tried using that. The actresses have such amazing chemistry and the sisterhood is so beautifully complex (with issues but loving each other no matter what) and so rare on TV and in superhero shows in particular.
    It’s hard to say goodbye… I was happy and supportive of Alex’s journey (and I like Sanvers a lot), but I realize now that Kara will keep getting that treatment and that the sisterhood is no longer the center/priority or will get back to being one…it’s pretty much about the ships now. Gonna miss this wonderful cast, but this is where I part ways.

31. sunnymoon says:

I’m glad they are developing Kara/Mon-El soon and fast so they can get rid off it as soon as it arrived because every tv relationship that happens way too soon is never a good sign that it will stay for long nor will be endgame, especially if one of the charaters involved in the pairing is the main one. So, don’t worry because they will probably kiss and have some “happy” times for a while and then he will be gone. You don’t have to be an expert on tv to know this always happens. JUST GIVE MOST FOCUS ON THE LADIES, PLEASE!

32. Alex says:

I’m sorry, is this Supergirl or the Mon-El show? It would be great if the writers would stop shoving Mon-El and this romance constantly and let Kara have her own storyline and be a strong independent woman. Wasn’t that supposed to be her arc this season? Instead we have her babysitting an immature frat boy instead, and having her whole storyline revolve around making him a better man, until she inevitably falls in love with him because he’s a “changed man.” How groundbreaking, we’ve only seen that play out hundreds of times before. Let her be on her own, face her own challenges, women can actually be friends with men ya know. I loved season one so much, it’s amazing how different this season feels. I’m missing my Danvers sisters moments, I want more background on Maggie, Lena, J’onn, M’gann, I want to see more of Winn and James…

Mon-El is taking up so much screentime from other characters that while I didn’t mind the character at first, I really dislike the way they keep shoehorning him into everything now and I really hope the writers scale back on his character soon and stop trying to pair Kara up with every guy that glances in her direction.

33. Supergirlfan says:

Why so much Mon-el? This show is about female empowerment, not this bland ass newbie who wants to share the role of main character with Kara. I truly hope he wont stay much longer. Even Melissa said before the season started she wanted to see Kara be independent. That doesn’t mean she needs to be alone but how this is being done and how Mon-el basically is. It doesnt make sense tbh. He is everywhere, in every place on the show. The comparisons with Hook are sadly true (tho I like Hook much better, the show is not named The Savior so it feels different, less bad).

34. Jared Munson says:

You’re forgetting a ” after, he says in the ‘unfortunately’ paragraph to lead back into Kevin Smiths quote.

35. Chris says:

Sigh…and this is what happens when a show goes over to the CW. All of a sudden a well written female empowerment show that sends positive messages about diversity and acceptance becomes about romance and they sideline their female lead so that more males can be the heroes and she instead becomes a plot device for a white guy’s redemption on his way to becoming a hero.

Disappointing that we are stuck with Mon-El it seems, especially given the way they treated the character of James and the message that sends. Was hoping to see Kara actually have her own storyline this season and that we would be seeing less of Mon-El as the season went on, but guess it is the opposite unfortunately

36. dan-K says:

Mon-El and Kara was so predictable…bring back Kara and James!!! :-D

37. Harmony Rose says:

Why don’t the writers, and directors, understand that everybody hates Mon-el. He’s so boring and unnecessary. And it’s frankly insulting to see the writers foist him on Kara.

38. Harmony Rose says:

Nobody wants Kara to be in a relationship with Mon-el. Nobody. Why can’t the writers make Kara/Lena cannon? Katie and Melissa have so much more chemistry together. It’s palpable.

39. Emma says:

Bland-El sucks! If they don’t want to pair Kara with Jimmy (which I agree because I didn’t think the actors have romantic chemistry), they should have given Winn a chance to be with Kara. They’re cute together.

I don’t like the direction this show has taken this season and I’m already a few episodes behind with little to no interest in catching up. It’s a shame because I loved season 1 but now it feels like the show became CW shipper fodder.

40. Emma says:

I also moss Lucy and Maxwell. Alex had great chemistry with Maxwell.

• Harmony Rose says:

I miss Lucy too. Wasn’t she supposed to be co-running the DEO? Where have they been hiding her?
      Maxwell Lord, on the other hand, was so gross. I’m glad the writers ditched him.

• Frank says:

Alex (well Chyler) has chemistry with everyone, but she was never interested in that gross evil man, and she’s gay so either way if they bring him back it should be just as an enemy.

41. Anonymouse says:

I hope Mon-el gets lead poisoning and is expelled to the phantom zone by the end of season 2.

42. I was really bummed when it came back so changed. I LOVED Cat Grant that new little wormy misogynist can’t lick her shoes. I really liked Lucy Lane & thought she was an awesome add to the DEO. Most of all I loved Maxwell Lord and was really getting into his budding relationship w/Alex. I was SO looking forward to see where they’d go. I still watch it but it’s not nearly as good or as much fun even with that uber purty Mon-El to look at.

43. LB says:

It’s honestly really sad hat all these people are hating on Mon-El like this. All these people saying that Mon-El has to go and how Kara and Mon-El’s relationship is forced need to accept that Mon-El is a part of the show now and they can’t really do anything about it. I actually like Mon-El and I think he is a valid part if the show and I don’t get how Kara and Mon-El’s “relationship” is forced when Alex and Maggie met pretty much the same time as Kara and Mon-El and are already in a relationship but that’s not forced. Plus, Kara and Mon-El have a lot more chemistry than Kara and James. But I definitely think that Kara needs more attention considering the fact that the show is called Supergirl. Also, if they do end up making Kara and Mon-El a couple, that should be it because Kara has been in so many different relationships Joni getting really annoying now.