Donald Trump Son Barron Saturday Night Live Writer Suspended Tweet

SNL Writer Suspended for Controversial Tweet About Donald Trump's Son

Twitter can be hazardous to your career. Just ask Katie Rich.

The Saturday Night Live writer has been suspended indefinitely from the show following a questionable tweet about President Donald Trump’s son Barron, according to our sister site Deadline. NBC and the show have yet to officially comment on the matter, but Deadline notes that Rich’s name did not appear in the credits for this week’s episode.

Rich’s tweet, which she has since deleted, predicted that the ten-year-old boy “will be this country’s first homeschool shooter.” Rich took to Twitter on Monday to apologize for the “inexcusable” joke:

SNL has famously provoked President Trump in recent months with a number of scathing sketches, featuring Alec Baldwin as Trump. Trump has himself attacked the show on Twitter, calling it “unwatchable” and “totally biased.” In related news: Baldwin will host SNL, and surely revive his Trump impression, on Feb. 11.

Is Rich’s apology sufficient? Or should she lose her job at SNL? Give us your take — and keep it civil! — in the comments.

1. Joey says:

Has Barron Trump done anything wrong? Not to my knowledge, he hasn’t, despite the fact that he has an utterly loathsome father. While if it were up to me, I wouldn’t fire Katie Rich from SNL, but I also wouldn’t lose any sleep if she got the axe.

2. JScout says:

He should be suspended. Minor children are OFF LIMITS. No exceptions. Idiots did this kind of thing to Chelsea Clinton, the Bush girls, and the Obama girls. Shame on them. Trump’s adult children give people ample reason to make fun, but minors are off limits for jokes and ridicule.

3. JScout says:

Sorry, meant SHE should be suspended.

• Patrick says:

Absolutely she should be fired. I didn’t vote for the man, but his minor child is off limits. Completely.

• Temperance says:

He was trotted out for political gain, so I’m not sure *completely* is true… perhaps we simply go with avoid outside of emergency.

• Jessie says:

Beg to differ. He’s a 10-year-old boy. He’s not responsible for who his father is and if he was “trotted out for political gain” so has every child who has been in the White House. Hate the father, leave the kid alone. Completely. I’d be screaming for any ADULT, who goes after kids to be fired.

• Andrea says:

Agreed, Jessie. He wasn’t “trotted out for political gain.” His father was being inaugurated. The rest of Barron’s family also attended the event. While the scale and type of event are atypical for a family, most families attend bar mitzvahs, baptisms, family birthday parties, family reunions, or whatever the case may be. Most families have some event that they consider as requiring attendance.

• Nichole says:

From what I’ve heard Barron Trump only appeared three times until last Friday, once at a rally, once at the RNC when Trump received the nomination and once on Election night when Trump gave his victory speech. I would hardly call that being “trotted” out for political gain, if so then the previous three Presidents committed the “trotting” far far more then Trump did.

• I am sure SNL will find a way to keep her on the payroll. That program has really gone downhill from the old days. She is not the only one to write vicious remarks about Barron. One idiot even suggested that Barron have sex with his mother. There MUST be consequences for their behavior!

• Bob Murray says:

Where did you get that someone said he should have sex with his mother? I have googled it and found nothing other than your comment. Are you sure it wasn’t someone commenting on an article such as this? I would think that if it were someone from SNL or any other show it would have made MSM.

4. D'Arcy says:

She should not and will not be fired.

• Andre says:

You must be the owner?

• Katie Stone says:

Really? Because there have been folks fired for comments about Obama’s daughters’ choice of clothing. Oh, wait, sorry that GOP staffer resigned after lots of media coverage and public outcry. There was a host fired recently for comments about Michelle Obama. There have been commentators, hosts and all sorts of folks fired for comments made on air and online. Didn’t Susan Olsen (aka Cindy Brady) recently lose a gig over something she said/tweeted? People do get fired for inappropriate comments. If you disagree with their removal, then at least you’re consistent. . . if you think those were correct, well then….

• Jim says:

I’m sure you wouldn’t mind if strangers bashed, bullied and belittled your children mercilessly? Shame on you!

• Television Scout says:

Thank your Lorne. Keep up the good work. BTW, any word yet from your bosses at NBC-U/Comcast? House cleaning anyone?

• Lucy Sexton says:

So it’s OK to bully your kids? Oh let me guess, you don’t have any!

5. Cheryl says:

I don’t think he’s homeschooled. If he were, that could be done in D.C. as easily as in NYC. I’m an avid anti-Trumpster, but kids should be off-limits. As for firing, I think the writer’s apology is enough. Trump never apologized to all the people he’s hurt.

• Joey says:

He isn’t homeschooled. It’s the reason why Melania and Barron aren’t moving into the White House until this summer, so he can finish his current school year at whatever private school he’s at right now.***
      ***This is the reasoning we’ve been given. I mean, if, come June/July, they haven’t moved yet or aren’t even in the process of moving, I’ll be more suspicious then.

• Ange says:

I’m not buying it. There were three presidents before him with young school aged children who were able to transition their children without a problem probably during the Christmas holidays. This just gives Trump a reason to not live at the White House. Tax payers would have been livid if this was ever discussed for any previous president. Understand we the tax payers pay for their security in NY but I guess you have to pay taxes to know that.

• Trying to move all the praying mats does take time from the WH….

• Andre says:

Two wrongs make it right.

• Cheyenne says:

I’ve heard he attends Columbia Grammar School, a private school on the upper West side of Manhattan. It’s a regular private elementary school and contrary to what some people have said, it is not a school for special needs children.

6. Eric says:

No it was not. Children of presidents who are under the age of 18 are off-limits. They didn’t ask to be in that position and in most cases, don’t have the voice to defend themselves from those types of comments, which more often than not, are a form of bullying and shaming that adults should know better not to do.

• Really!? says:

Agreed. Has nothing to do with whether you support the President or not, minor children of Presidents are off-limits!

• Normandy says:

Years ago, Saturday Night Live had a Chelsea Clinton joke in a Wayne’s World skit that was subsequently removed from all reruns after complaints.

7. Andre says:

She should be fired. No need to insult his family. She was insensitive and the joke was not funny.

• mscottveach says:

Well, it WAS funny. But you’re right that it was inappropriate and she should be punished in some way by the show. But just because she was wrong to have done it doesn’t mean we have to start talking crazy and say it wasn’t funny.

• Jessie says:

Guess it depends on your perspective, that is your opinion that the tweet was “funny”. I thought it lacked humor and was disgusting. I have three children, if that was written about any of them, the adult who targeted them would lose their job pronto. It wasn’t funny at all. Wow….

• Eurydice says:

I guess it was a funny way of saying he’s going to kill his parents.

• James says:

Funny? Really? So it is now funny to “hope” that there is another school shooting? I bet you are also anti-2nd Amendment, yet find it “funny” to hope for another gun used in a crime. Must be kin to madonna.

8. Riana says:

Too bad we can’t suspend trump for some of his tweets.

9. Patricia says:

No mr president would not have even apoligized if it was reversed she she was sorry enough said. Turn abouts fair play

• James R. says:

How the f**k is the a turn about? Did the kid say some stupid? No the father did. If a man came up to me and told me I was a worthless piece of garbage, I wouldn’t then turn around and take it out on his children. You may loathe President Trump and that’s fine, but you loathe him, not his underage children.

• James R. says:

Is this*

• Jessie says:

Well said!

• Annie says:

Exactly! I’m not a Trump fan, but his son is off limits. He’s a child!! He doesn’t deserve to be picked on. All other Trumps kids are fair game, but /Barron is off limits.

• Carmen Forrest says:

That is exactly what I have been saying! If you’re upset with the parents – whether they are repulician or democrat, whether you agree or disagree, or they do something really stupid numerous times- it is not the child’s fault so don’t take it ou on them! This isn’t about politics, it’s about the children! I can’t understand why anyone would think this is acceptable but continues to happen, Obama’s daughters, Clinton’s daughter, the Bush girls have all been targets of horrible criticism! BOTTOM LINE- LEAVE THE CHILDREN ALONE! If your disgusted with the parent, direct your comments towards them..

10. Coop says:

She shouldn’t be fired for the tweet. She should be fired for not being funny.

11. Claire. says:

I don’t support Trump, but I’ll never support targeting children, either. She should be fired for saying something so vile about a young child who never asked to be put in this position. Children of presidents should be off limits, period.

12. Doing the same thing Trump is doing, and that is spreading hate and verbally harassing a child, is making us look even worse than him, cause we’re supposed to be better, so yeah, I hate Trump, but I strongly disagree with personal vendetta against his children/wife/etc.

13. Andrew Hass says:

Going after Donald Trump is one thing because he’s a public figure and so he’s fair game.However his son Barron who is a minor is not fair game and it’s not his fault who his father is.As for Rich, since this probably her first screw up like this i’m fine with her just been suspended but if it happens again then she should be fired.

14. Brigid says:

I hate Trump but making fun of his son is just wrong. It’s been wrong since Amy Carter. She’s pathetic and like Trump should stop tweeting stupid stuff. I couldn’t care less if they fire her, maybe it will teach her a lesson. We teach our children to not be bullies only to be bullies as adults. So hypocritical!

15. Diane says:

She’s only sorry because she was caught and people were offended if people were not so outraged by this (and it was pro an anti-Trump people offended) she would not have apologized I can guarantee you that.

• Mary says:

Maybe, that could also be said about the half ass deflecting apology Trump made about grabbing by the p…y. I can guarantee you that.

• James says:

So everything you did two decades ago should still be held against you? Thank God you are not in charge of our country. At least we have a statute of limitations for those who commit burglary, bank robbery, etc., but in your mind an older person who was with another male, barely 20 year old, and was talking BS trying to seem like he is still cool, should be condemned forever. Now that is pathetic.

16. Aeol says:

She’s a disgrace, and doesn’t represent the majority of decent human beings on either side of the aisle. Not everything’s funny, not everything is joke fodder. Bye, Katie.

17. Jo says:

She should be fired from the show. This was an inexcusable, cruel comment aimed at a child. It should not be tolerated under any circumstance; regardless of her “apology”. Not enough. Children, especially those in the public eye should be guarded and protected by us all. What she tweeted was horrible; NBC should be ashamed that she is a representative of them.

• Katrina says:

Agreed. If Barron Trump was over 18, this would be different. He didn’t ask for any of this, and that tweet wasn’t just making fun of him. It suggested that he was a terrible person.

Hopefully he isn’t too scarred by this. :(

18. Richard says:

She should be suspended for telling a joke about the presidents son. She should be fired because it was a bad joke. Seriously, SNL sucks.

19. DL says:

It was inappropriate, and a lousy joke, but she’s apologized, so that’s the end of it, in my opinion. A few weeks’ suspension to let things settle seems appropriate to me. I suppose we’ll have to see what “indefinite” actually means.

20. Katie Stone says:

For starters, children of any public figure are off limits. Or rather they should be anyway. Her comments were nothing short of bullying a 10 year old child because she didn’t like his dad. People have been fired for tantrums and bullish behavior online and in front of the camera before, if she is she won’t be the first. I’m sorry, but how is there still an adult in 2017 that doesn’t understand being a jerk on Twitter won’t stir up ire and potential trouble… Seriously? My 12 year old knows if she’s a bully online she risks suspension at school, and further consequences at home.

• Katie Stone - typo prone. ;) says:

Wish we had an edit button. ;) I mean to say “I’m sorry, but how is there still an adult in 2017 that doesn’t understand being a jerk on Twitter WILL stir up ire and potential trouble…”

• canadian ninja says:

Didn’t you yanks just elect a guy who is constantly a jerk on twitter? Maybe this SNL writer is just starting her bid for the presidency in 2020.

• Mary says:

Don’t put us all in the same category but yes a minority did vote for the “adult” who is a jerk on twitter and did incite hatred. I don’t minor children should be in the crossfire of their Parents ignorance.

• Lucy Sexton says:

As bad as Trump has tweeted, and with all the criticism, he’s never bullied a child that is trying to fit in! She’s a disgrace to NBC. Hope they realize that!

21. Glenn Huschke says:

She should absolutely lose her job. Elizabeth Lauten lost her job for something she said about Obama’s girls that was WAY less offensive.

22. Steve says:

One of the dangerous traps of social media is that we often feel like we are just sharing thoughts with (like-minded) friends — people who know and understand us well, and get that we aren’t a bad person because we occasionally have less than broadly socially acceptable thoughts and ideas that strike us as humorous. The immediacy of social media “short circuits” our social filters and we post things that we might only say in a private conversation. Ms. Rich is a comedy writer, and no doubt has a quick wit. Quick wit also knows few filters. She’s not the first to fall victim to these traps. I believe we should all be a little more forgiving about tweets – particularly when the offending party acknowledges and repents their faux pas. Of course, I realize that it doesn’t really matter what I think. The executives at SNL and/or NBC will make the decision. I wish her luck, though.

• Glenn says:

I would agree with wanting to be a little more forgiving, if that applied to both political parties, but we all know that it doesn’t. In this day and political age, it’s ok to totally trash Republicans, but Heaven forbid we say anything about Democrats.

• c-mo says:

The problem with your logic is that there MUST be consequences for your actions and a slap on the wrist of being suspended is not severe enough to stop this from happening again! A consequence is intended to deter future misbehavior and I don’t believe a mea culpa, mea culpa I said deterring any future misbehavior! We see it time and time again, someone tweets something nasty, there’s a huge blowback and then the predictable “I’m sorry you are too overly sensitive and took my tweet wrong, please forgive me!” But the next time this happens the author of the offensive tweet piles on the new person and calls for their head. Maybe people should turn their filters back on. Sheesh, I feel like I’m reprimanding my 90-year old mother who has no clue what she’s saying! Think before you speak!!!!

23. SoMuchHope says:

Yeah, that was in poor taste. Leave the kid alone, he’s off limits.

24. Roxie says:

A Trump administration supporter, I am not, but the kids are off limits. Period.

Ms. Rich needs to resign.

25. Dennis says:

I’m a liberal democrat who voted for Clinton but I agree she should be fired… it’s such poor taste and just wrong to wish such a thing on a child, and the child of a President at that! (Come on, how dumb do you have to be?!)

I don’t support Trump but PUBLICALLY humiliating his young son in a tweet is stupid. She should be fired, it’s just not okay.

26. Iris says:

Shame, shame, shame. You don’t go after a kid.

27. Mo says:

The Saturday in 2 Weeks is Feb 4th and Kristin Stewart is hosting. Baldwin is hosting Feb 11th

28. Gern Blanston says:

I’m confused. I thought that when Trump won it meant the end of political correctness and that everybody could say whatever the hell they wanted to about anybody and that nobody should ever be offended about anything.

• ninamags says:

Right? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Jessie says:

Oh, so it’s “good” for an adult to go after an innocent 10-year-old boy, who hasn’t done anything wrong. Your logic is horrific.

• Gern Blanston says:

Complaining that everybody was too sensitive about everything and that everything is too politically correct is one of the main points that Trump and his supporters championed. So for the record, although I agree that a child should be off limits when discussing politics Trump and anybody that voted for him don’t really have a leg to stand on when complaining about this particular issue.

• Jessie says:

Well, here’s a crack in your logic. I’m complaining about this big time, and I didn’t vote for him. It’s about human decency and being adult enough to recognize that a 10 year old boy is off limits. It has NOTHING to do with being or not being “politically correct”. She is an ADULT, with supposedly mature enough reason to leave the child alone. In no universe is this acceptable behavior. If you think it is because of who his father is, well, that says plenty as well.

• Gern Blanston says:

At no time did i say that this is acceptable. If you read what I wrote you’d see that I think that the writer is in the wrong. That being said, all of the outrage that i see about this is coming from Trump supporters. You claim that you are the exception to this so, I’ll have to take you at your word. But, coming from those supporters the outrage is entirely hypocritical since they defended Trump when he mocked a disabled reporter, referred to non- whites in all kinds of vile terms, as well as numerous other offenses all under the defense that people are just too sensitive. Them being outraged now, although in the right, is disgusting.

• Andrea says:

The difference is she was an adult going after a child. That’s the point. If Donald Trump and Alec Baldwin want to go at it for four years straight on Twitter be my guest. Both of them are adults. Barron is not an adult.

• Gern Blanston says:

No, the difference is that they seem to think that it’s not being too PC when it comes to mocking Obama’s kids or Clinton’s kids. It’s only going too far when it’s Trump’s kid. Again, I don’t think that what she did was in any way, shape, or form acceptable. But, the outrage coming from a group of people that insult anybody they want and then reply with “It’s just a joke. Don’t take it so seriously.” is absolutely disgusting.

• Morisot says:

Gern – maybe try reading all the posts here! Many are by people who stated that they do NOT like Donald Trump — but think that what this SNL writer posted was disgusting and vile. (So, was what you posted above just an error…or was it a lie?!)

29. Kendra says:

No, her apology is not acceptable, she only did it to save her job, I do not find it sincere at all, I am not a fan of Trump but a 10 yr old is off limits, for a grown woman to bully a child is inexcusable and NBC is being hypocritical by not firing her and releasing a statement.

30. Kevin M says:

Kids get kicked out of schools for bullying.. However, this adult only gets a slap with a suspension.. Fire the %$#@!

• Mary says:

Really what schools are you referring to. Many suspend the individual but never I have heard of them being kicked out for good. Exaggerate much.

31. SJ says:

She should absolutely be fired. As should the Comedy Central writer who tweeted something far worse about Barron (not feeling comfortable typing it here because it could get caught in the spam filter).

32. Scott says:

She’s not sorry she’s a liberal piece of trash not only does she need to be fired but she needs a foot in her liberal stupid butt

33. Timothy J. Baxter says:

I don’t see any rel harm done. Katie Rich did apologize, for what she wrote on twitter!

• c-mo says:

Do you really believe everything that comes out of a writer’s mouth…or from their keyboard? If it had been a conservative writer would you have believed their apology?

34. dan says:

I’m not a fan of bullying even less of adults bullying kids. She should be fired and it’s a bright shining beacon of the hypocrisy of the entertainment industry that she hasn’t been. If similar comments had been made of the minor child of a Democratic President they’d be making commercials directed by Joss Whedon starring the cast of the Avengers, Colbert would be utterly apoplectic, Seth Myers would be howling, the cast and crew of Grey’s Anatomy would do an episode about it, teary eyed of course. Madonna would be calling for their house to be blown up. There would be hats worn and slogans and everything. Nothing seems to matter to the media except whether you have a D or an R behind your name.

35. badgerly says:

Minor children are off limits. I’m sure Barron knows that a huge number of people think his father is a vile excuse for a human being, and is possibly being bullied about it, already. He doesn’t deserve any more abuse.

• dan says:

He’s a kid, he doesn’t deserve any abuse. His dad might be a vulgar sob but it aint the kid’s fault. The sins of the father are not the sins of the son even if that is the message NBC and SNL want to send by not firing this writer. That and that it’s OK for adults to publicly bully kids.

• Cheyenne says:

You’re right about that. New York City in general, and the Upper West Side where his school is located in particular, hate Trump like he is the reincarnation of the Antichrist. He’s probably heard more than he needs to hear already.

36. Shane says:

Everybody should know that children are off limits, and that you don’t pull the trigger of a loaded gun (Trump) giving him real reason to attack the show

37. George says:

Leave the president’s… or, really, any public official’s… children alone. It’s tough enough being a kid without having to deal with the fact that there are people who dislike you because they dislike your parent(s).

38. shanc1973 says:

You do not pull the trigger (Trump) giving him something that he can use to legitimately attack the show. Kids are off limits. She should be fired because her first post wasn’t even funny.

39. PatriciaLee says:

Disgusting, just like when Gingrich and Limbaugh bad mouthed Chelsea when she was a kid in the White House. It was disgusting then, and it is disgusting, now. The husband was floored when he read this over my shoulder, “That’s not right. That’s mean and vicious.” Her use of the word insensitive is hysterically mild. Oh, our writers sure think a lot of themselves. She needs to come up with a more appropriate apology, if she wants to keep her job. Maybe attending counseling, with feedback how one can develop skills to think things through before shooting off the mouth. There sure are many who could learn from that, with today’s social media land mines. As far as the husband goes, he doesn’t think she should lose her job because she won’t do that again. (not that he cares about SNL, considering it boring, especially the BaldwinTrump).

40. lrdslvrhnd says:

Good. No matter how you may feel about Trump, the kids should be off-limit (and I’m including the adult kids, EXCEPT when it pertains to something they themselves do/say). Barron didn’t sign up for any of this.

41. rowan77 says:

They are will within their rights to suspend and even fire her. It’s completely up to them. What she did was incredibly stupid and wrong. He is a child. Children are not fair game. Blast his father. Blast his mother for being married to such a scumbag, but he’s a minor child who has no say in his parents’ words or behaviors. Her apology not mentioning WHY she was wrong tells me she may not get it.

42. Vi says:

She needs to be fired. No child should be bullied by anyone, especially an adult. I also don’t think she sounded sincere in her apology and I don’t believe it’s enough for the comment she made. It was disgusting. We have too much violence in schools now, and this she thinks is funny?

43. Jennifer says:

She needs to be fired. Her tweet wasn’t a joke. It was being a bully. There are no excuses for attacking a child no matter who their parents are.

44. She should definitely lose her job we have freedom of speech and in the political arena we have opportunities to take pot shots at the candidates but the children especially a 10-year-old should be off-limits to everyone not only other political candidates but the human race entirely to do something against the 10-year-old child shows that she is unworthy of being anywhere’s near any publication or any news show or any show whatsoever including Saturday night

45. Balkey says:

She should LOSE her job! I am a school teacher and in no way is this right to attach a young boy. I would have immediately been fired for such a comment

46. liame says:

Work from home girl.

47. Jessie says:

I sincerely hope she’s fired for this. Her lame apology is just that, lame. She’s only “sorry” because no one thought it was funny at all. A 10 year old isn’t a target for an adult writer, she should have thought of that before going after the kid.

48. Cathy says:

She needs to lose her job. If this was an Obama child she spoke so bitter of…she would have been fired. Presidents children and ALL children should be HANDS OFF!!! If you have to start picking on children..how far would you go! FIRE HER

49. Dina Kritz says:

Fire her. Her tweet was disgusting.

50. Howard. Bookman says:

If this was said about Obama’s kids the writer would be fire immediately. Of cours e SNL would never say this about a left wingers kid