Exclusive
Once Upon a Time Musical Episode

Once Upon a Time Eyes Musical Episode for Spring — Who Will Sing?

Will Grumpy and the rest of Once Upon a Time‘s dwarfs finally sing about whistling while they work? Will erstwhile cricket Dr. Archie Hopper let loose with a tune about wishing upon a star?

“Be prepared” (as Scar might croon), because such melodic mysteries might be addressed during Season 6. TVLine has learned that the fantastical, fairy tale-themed ABC series is currently planning a musical episode, to air sometime this spring. And to that end, some cast members are actively brushing up on their vocal skills.

Following TVLine’s report, Once creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis confirmed the musical during a Feb. 2 appearance at the Atlanta aTVFest.

Having weaved in characters from Frozen, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and other musical Disney features over the years, talk of Once cuing up a musical episode has always brewed, with series cocreator Eddy Kitsis saying as recently as the 2015 Comic-Con, “It would be great to do a musical episode, [but] I don’t know even know where to begin.”

Well, it would seem that the show bosses figured that one out.

As for who all would step up to the proverbial mic, “We all sing,” Once lead Jennifer Morrison told E! Online back in 2011 when asked about the possibility of a musical outing. “Josh Dallas, Ginny Goodwin, me…. I don’t know if Robert Carlyle sings; he probably does. I feel like we have a lot of musically inclined people in the cast. We’ll see!” Indeed.

Once, of course, won’t be the only musical lark in town this spring: The CW’s Supergirl/The Flash crossover will find the superfriends battling the Music Meister while breaking out in song, in a two-parter airing March 20-21.

Once Upon a Time resumes Season 6 on Sunday, March 5.

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Tina Cameron says:

Love this show. It’s about time it came back on.missed Once Upon a Time

2. Sophie says:

I just need Lana Parrilla to sing. Anyone else is of course, very welcome, but I bet Colin will have his song for sure!

Pity Sean Maguire won’t be in that episode. He is quite a good singer.

3. Raven says:

Oh God I hope not. That’s a horrible idea.

• thisismenow says:

Agreed. The musical episode thing of most shows are typically horrific. That is with a few exceptions like Buffy’s Once More With Feeling.

• Adam says:

As well as Scrubs musical episode.

• Jon says:

Amen to that, Adam.

• catlover04 says:

That Scrubs musical episode was one of the funniest episodes of the series. Stupid, but very funny. That show was designed to be stupid though. OUAT is not. However, as a “musical” lover, I’m not afraid of this idea especially since Disney has created musicals for ALL of the characters you find on OUAT so it does seem logical that they would go here at least once. I just hope they do it well and not cheesy.

• Temperance says:

Most of the musical episodes I’ve seen have been pretty great. Buffy and Grey’s Anatomy were standouts.

4. ninergrl6 says:

Plot-wise I don’t know how they’ll make it work, but then again OUAT doesn’t always make sense. FWIW Colin O’Donoghue sings too.

• Wordsmith says:

Any show where magic is a thing can get away with pretty much whatever they want when it comes to strange concepts.

5. Bryan87 says:

Sounds more and more like they’re expecting this to be their last (full) season. All those guest stars from earlier seasons coming back, now a gimmick episode like that. Suppose there could be worse shows for that, considering Disney movies tend to have a bunch of musical numbers in them too and they have magic to explain why everyone would suddenly start singing. I knew of Robert Carlyle and Sean Maguire as cast who play the guitar and sing, if they have more it may work.

6. LisaB says:

a musical episoe is probably an horrible idea but I hope emma and regina will sing

7. Renato says:

This makes me very excited, but also, what is it based on? There’s legit no source. Please don’t get my hopes up for nothing, that’s what the show itself always does.

8. Dominique says:

oh lord please don’t. just because they THINK it’s a good idea,d oesn’t mean it actually IS.
    This is one hype the writers should not follow.

9. Nicky Aiuto says:

Interesting.

10. Val says:

Not keen on musical episodes.
    But I do believe some cast members can sing.
    Would love to see a Emma and Hook duet.

11. God, please let this not be true………….

12. Irene Fox says:

Coliin singing to Jennifer! I mean Hook to Emma is my dream come true! #CaptainSwan

13. ELi says:

I know for a fact Jessy Schram (Cinderella) sings. Bring her back for it.

14. clintbrew says:

they need august booth to sing i got no strings to hold me down or dr hopper singing when you wish opun a star

15. Lame says:

I’d bet money they’re only doing this because they heard Supergirl is doing this. SMH this show is a big enough mess as it is.

16. Jaissa says:

I say why not do a musical episode. Lots of fans have been asking for one for years and cuz all anyone can do anymore is complain what will a musical episode hurt. Abc ia probably gonna cancel it anyways (though I think ouat is still better the a lot of crap on tv and if it was on the cw it would be a for sure renewal, abc thinks if the show isn’t getting over 10 million viewers it should be canceled. so try something new and different. I would love to hear all the characters singing. I think it would be cool to what Regina would sing about.

17. abz says:

Please let this just be Disney song covers. I’m not as interested in seeing them do original songs. There are so many covers to choose from.
    Can any of the main cast members sing though? I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of them sing.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Colin( hook) is in a band irl and Karen (Jasmine) is in a band and sang on Galavant and has songs in iTunes and is recording more songs in the studio

• Val says:

Jen, Josh and Ginny can sing, as Jen said in one of her interview few years back.
        Colin can sing who is fantastic, was in a band with his friends back in Ireland.

• Missy says:

Lana has a great voice. She sang on the show defenders

• Val says:

never seen her, but apparently she said at one convention, she isnt a singer,so i assumed she cant sing that well lol

• Jaissa says:

Just cuz lana said she isn’t a singer that doesn’t she she can’t sing well. There are a lot of people that are singer and think they are good but in my opinion don’t sing very good. I saw lana singing on that show and she wasn’t to bad. She was a lot better then me. And lana also has said she is up for doing a musical episode, so made lana was just being modest.

18. Jimmy says:

YES. Honestly I’ve always wished this show was a musical.

19. iHeart says:

if it’s going to be original songs who should be brought in? Menken? R and K.A. Lopez? or maybe even LMM? nah they’ll probably just bring in Menken, but please tell me Rumple will finally get a villain song.

20. kirads09 says:

My initial kneejerk thought is – GOD NO! I would hate to use the phrase but would likely be a definite “jump the shark” moment for the show. Not keen on musical or gimmicky episodes. THAT BEING SAID though – it would depend so much on how it was done. Disney has a great song and musical repertoire to borrow off of and they possibly carefully could make it wonderful. Does Robert Carlyle sing? I would watch that!!!

21. massi says:

I really hope for a cs duet ! wonderfull and Jen and Colin both sing. its the first time I am exciting for 6b but will love a little tiny cs spoiler. Matt?

22. Laura Foster says:

Robert Carlyle sang in an episode of Hamish Macbeth and he’s freaking fantastic.

23. Billy meacham says:

First the flash now once upon a time??!! What’s next a arrow, legends of tomorrow musical??

24. webly3 says:

This is long overdue. I stopped watching the show right before last season’s finale. There were always some rumors that eventually they’d do a musical episode. I think it would have been smarter to experiment with this earlier in its run. Because if it is a success, then it will probably lead to more musical episodes.

25. Ben says:

Colin is a great singer

26. Rebecca Reiswig says:

Sorry but like…. I don’t see ANYTHING in this article to prove that this could actually be happening. Nothing from the producers/writers. Just a 5 year old quote from Jennifer? I’ll believe this when I see something NEW from someone who has actual pull re. the creative direction of the show. (i.e. the producers or an ABC exec)

27. BM says:

I have one question – why?
    It’s not a musical, there has never been a musical aspect, so what exactly is the point of doing it and in S6 no less? Have they run out of plot or is it a cheap way to produce an episode because there will be little plot and sets involved?

28. Dina Kritz says:

I have been waiting for a musical episode for years!!!! I’m so excited!!!!!!!!

29. Crysania says:

This is a TERRIBLE idea…I hope this is just a stupid rumor. That being said, Josh Dallas has an AMAZING voice.

30. Natalie R Mitchell says:

This is great, something I have been hoping they would do for a long time!! Jennifer Morrison has an absolutely beautiful voice. I could see her doing duets with Colin and Lana! I loved the musical episode on Grey’s Anatomy and If they could make it work and tie it in to the story, Once can totally pull it off!!

31. missy says:

They definitely NEED to do a Musical Episode before the Series ends :D
    Most of the Disney movies they’ve been able to riff on, have musical moments.
    I look forward to it

32. What the heck is with the terrible trend? Look I love OUAT, but no, just no.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

So a show about doctors in a hospital can organically do a musical episode, but a show about characters from Disney animated musicals can’t…? It’s jumping on a “trend” even though fans have been asking about a musical episode since the first Comic-Con?

33. Rinnie says:

I’m not a fan of musical episodes but come on, if there is ONE show that could pull this off, it IS, Once Upon A Time! I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner!

34. Naoyusimi says:

I think it will be a colossal flop, no matter the talent of the stars. And of course Robert Carlyle sings, Jennifer! Sheesh. Bobby played an ex-rockstar in “California Solo,” so he sang and played guitar in that (at least I’m pretty sure that was him playing). Adam and Eddy are really reaching. Desperate for ratings, are we? The idea is laughable. Let’s hope the result isn’t cringeworthy.

I feel bad for a couple of the actors, already. Lana and Bobby are a calibre of actor this show doesn’t deserve, pumping all their talent into this dreck for a paycheck. They deserve all the awards and kudos just for that, but, no—now the showrunners want to torture them some more? They’re seeing how far they can push them before they crack and leave, perhaps?

35. d282 says:

I am looking forward to when Once Upon A Time returns in March. Of course I am also looking forward to their musical episode as well. I am sure it will be very entertaining.