Veronica Mars Revival

Veronica Mars Boss Rob Thomas Shares 'Six-Episode' Revival Update

With the Gilmore Girls revival behind us, it’s time to reopen our investigation into a second Veronica Mars reunion project.

Over the summer, leading lady Kristen Bell confirmed our initial scoop that she and series creator Rob Thomas are eyeing a limited-series format vs. a fan-funded feature film this time around, telling me at Comic-Con, “We are definitely striving to do it again… And this time around we’re not going to ask the audience to pony up for anything.”

At the Television Critics Association winter press tour last week, Thomas — who was promoting iZombie Season 3 — revealed that the potential continuation would consist of a half-dozen hour-long episodes. “Kristen and I both want to figure out some way we could do a six-episode Veronica Mars mystery,” he shared. “If I were a betting man, I bet that it will happen. I just don’t know when it will be.”

Two likely complications/obstacles: Bell’s commitment to NBC’s The Good Place and Thomas’ in-the-works Lost Boys remake for The CW. “We need to find a window where we could both do it,” he explained. “When actors are on network shows, most standard contracts will give them outs for, like, one episode a year of guest-starring. But then there are also sometimes outs if you’re doing something that is non-competitive. Would NBC consider a Veronica Mars thing on, like, Netflix non-competitive? We have not figured that out yet.

“Also, I’m developing Lost Boys,” he adds. “If those things weren’t happening, we might be closer to a Veronica Mars [continuation]. The Good Place, I think, is going to be on NBC for a while. And if Lost Boys goes, finding that window will be tricky. But we both want to do it.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Moshi Moshi says:

yes please!!!! i’ll give them money again if i have to!!!

2. Anne says:

OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG MAKE IT HAPPEN NOWWWWWWWWW

3. Riana says:

If they’re gonna do it, they should really get teddy Dunn back

• hannah says:

Most likely not going to happen. He’s a lawyer now, and I don’t think he has any desire to go back to acting. There was an interview with him that came out around the time of the movie and he said something to that extent.

• lulu says:

Seriously it was one of the most lame, generic character ever on a tv show where almost ALL the characters are awesome, dynamic, complex and interesting..come on..

4. Stacy says:

Ohh my god!!! Squeee!!! Make it happen!

5. Liz says:

Please make it happen Netflix!!

6. Matt C. says:

I would gladly donate money to support another revival, just as I did for the movie! But I understand that both Rob and Kristen are super busy, and I’m happy for them. But if they could just carve out a teeeeeensy bit of time for more VM, I would be even happier!!

7. ToyCannon says:

I guess it is time I stop watching “The Good Place” because a VM revival needs to happen!

8. johnhelvete says:

Comcast/NBC Universal owns 30% of Hulu, that might be the better option since The Good Place is on NBC. A simple solution would be that a Veronica Mars revival is not allowed to premiere during the time period that The Good Place is airing.

9. Fido says:

I’d be all for this, had not the kickstarter movie given Piz the right screw over. He never got justice for the unwarranted beat down Logan exacted on him. The movie had a perfect opportunity to let Piz give him a deserved thwack during the brawl but no. So Veronica + Logan will always feel wrong and icky and methinks this would be a big part of the 6 parter – so no thankyou very much from me.

• Kimberly Naff says:

Nah. Piz was being the “bigger man” or something and Veronica was acknowledging that she was making a lot of bad choices, but they were informed bad choices and gosh if it wasn’t exactly what she wanted. But that’s always been a part of Veronica. She can’t leave well enough alone because she has to know.

• Lulu says:

Well in this case bye felicia. Nobody give a dawn about nerdy piz !! And yeah almost everybody want a vm revival with logan echolls as a major character on it !

10. Dennis says:

I would watch this and donate any money necessary. Love VERONICA MARS!!!!

11. Lisa Levin says:

I wish I prayed cuz I’d pray for this!

12. Jennifer says:

Seconds after the movie ended, I wanted more, and while the books were great, there were only two. In the decade since the series ended, we’ve seen huge changes in the way we watch tv. I know there are new fans out there who’d love her as much as the rest of us.

13. Jesse says:

I wish they’d do at least ten episodes. A six episode limited season, like the X-Files, doesn’t give the season enough room to breathe. Just when you are getting into it, the season is already over. Consider 10-13 as the minimum.

14. Elizabeth says:

Take my money!!!!!!

15. missy says:

I’ve been waiting for an article like this…
    God, I want this SOOO BAD! I need more VM in my life.
    I didn’t mind ponying up either. The movie was awesome and worth it.
    And a 6 episode series mystery would be brilliant :D

16. Paula says:

We all need more LoVe in our lives!

17. Lisa says:

Squee!!! Jason Dohring is a total MUST though! They have to still be together

• Gina says:

Have you read the VM novels by Rob Thomas? They explore Veronica and Logan’s relationship after the movie ends. And they are SO GOOD!

18. chadcronin says:

So was this a ploy to get NBC to allow it? Or just to let us know that they are gonna make us wait til like 2024 and call it a 20 year graduation mystery? lol I hope this does happen because the Movie was nice but not enough

19. Laura McVay says:

Please do a continuation of Veronica Mars.. Thomas & Bell ❤

20. Gerri says:

MINIMAL LOGAN. Even if they are together, leave him on leave so we don’t have to see him. Not on team Logan obviously.

• lulu says:

Go away…Logan Echolls was/is one of the most interesting tv character ever..VM without him would be criminal..so NO not MINIMAL LOGAN…it is ridiculous to even suggest that. ps: by the way once and for all Veronica was/is not better than Logan, they complete and match each others, flawed and dysfunctional and perfectly imperfect together and by themselves. End of story.

21. ekkko says:

OK, like how much time per year can Bell possibly be spending on “The Good Place” (which was forking awesome btw) considering it’s about a dozen 20-min episodes? There must most definitely be a window to fit in a miniseries somewhere in that schedule.

22. lulu says:

Do it do it do it do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE !! I can’t say it enough..this is the tv show i miss the most..come on Netflix but also Rob, Kristen, NBC and CW, make it happen, we need it !

23. pau says:

Make it happen !! Netflix, do you hear/listen to us ??

24. Amanda says:

Please! More Veronica and Logan! More episodes/movies! Just more!!!!!

25. Jem says:

This would be amazing! I hope it happens.
    Also, love how much Rob and Kristen care for this franchise.