The Good Place

Who Gets Into The Good Place? Was Will & Grace Coda But a Dream? How Did Watson Escape? And More Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Chicago Fire, Lethal Weapon, The Good Place and Mom!Emerald City - Season 1

1 | On Emerald City, who styled Dorothy’s hair as she quickly changed into her tornado-fighting gown? Unseen attendants? And shouldn’t she have changed back into street clothes/practical boots when resuming her arduous trek?

2 | Wouldn’t it be funny if MacGyver, while stranded with Jack in the Kazakhstan forest, revealed that he didn’t know how to start a simple campfire?SNL Donald Trump

3 | SNL viewers, did you notice Alec Baldwin’s Donald Trump was wearing a Russian flag pin during the press conference spoof?

4 | Wasn’t Sherlock‘s John Watson chained to the bottom of that well in the finale? Wouldn’t he need more than just a rope thrown down to him to get out of there?

5 | Timeless fans, you ever notice how Wyatt’s name is always the first one Lucy calls when she’s in trouble?

6 | What meal do you suppose The Bachelor‘s Corinne is referring to when she says “cheese pasta”?tvqs-david-gotham-dark-night

7 | Watching Gotham, did you recognize David Dastmalchian, who played Joker henchman Dwight, from his Dark Knight film role as Joker henchman Thomas? And when did tech whiz Lucius Fox become an M.E.?

8 | Lucifer beds men and women: Did a single person bat an eye at that reveal?

9 | Is it time for NCIS to once and for all turn down the volume on the “Abby’s Edgy, Wacky Lab” soundtrack? (Umpteen seasons in, we “get” it, right, and would rather be able to hear the dialogue?)

10 | Watching Chicago Fire‘s Severide go through with the bone marrow donation without anesthesia (!!!), did you gain a newfound respect for him?

11 | Would This Is Us‘ Rebecca really be able to leave a message on her friend’s answering machine in 1980? Weren’t home answering machines ultra-rare back then? And among the “prequel” episode’s slight continuity hiccups, wouldn’t the mismatched muffin wrapper be the easiest to avoid?

This Is Us

12 | Did we miss NCIS: New Orleans‘ Patton stating outright that his “sweet” racetrack con was lifted straight from The Sting? Or, given that Sebastian was brazenly using Robert Redford’s name (Johnny Hooker) from the iconic film, does The Sting not exist in the NCIS-verse?

13 | Will the Will & Grace revival write off the series-ending flash-forwards as simply a crazy dream a character had?

14 | Could ratings for the People’s Choice Awards have declined over the years to an all-time low because viewers are wise to the fact that it’s maddeningly random which winners get announced and appear on-camera?

15 | Yes, Lethal Weapon plays fast and loose with reality, but shouldn’t Trish have recused herself from a case involving an arrest made by her husband’s partner?

16 | Are we supposed to feel guilty for hoping Salem‘s justifiably villainous Mercy survives next week’s series finale?Chris Pratt Mom

17 | Did Nashville‘s Rayna use up all the lotion in her bottle during that going-to-bed scene?

18 | How big a discussion do we think there was behind-the-scenes of Mom regarding how much of Chris Pratt’s henley should be tucked vs. untucked? Also, did CBS’ promos really need to awkwardly tout Pratt as a “film favorite”?

19 | Good Place spoiler alert! What do you think the real Good Place is like, if there is one? And if the flawed-yet-not-horrible Chidi and Tahani can’t get in there, who can? Saints?

20 | Were the people of Los Angeles as excited about the Rams returning as this week’s Life in Pieces suggested they were?

21 | Now that President Obama is out of office, can Access Hollywood finally retire the old interview with his family that it’s been regurgitating for weeks?

22 | When the commercial for Trulicity comes on, do you for a moment wonder what new ‘ship Arrow has come up with?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Tom says:

~
    Does magic exist in Emerald City? Because if so, that’s my answer.
    ~
    ~
    But would it be PLAUSIBLE?
    ~
    8 | Lucifer beds men and women: Did a single person bat an eye at that reveal?
    ~
    Good question, because would anyone that REALLY cares about such a thing even watch Lucifer?
    ~
    11 | Would This Is Us‘ Rebecca really be able to leave a message on her friend’s answering machine in 1980? Weren’t home answering machines ultra-rare back then? And among the “prequel” episode’s slight continuity hiccups, wouldn’t the mismatched muffin wrapper be the easiest to avoid?
    ~
    Who knows, maybe her friend won one or something, you don’t know.
    ~
    19 | Good Place spoiler alert! What do you think the real Good Place is like, if there is one? And if the flawed-yet-not-horrible Chidi and Tahani can’t get in there, who can? Saints?
    ~
    Well, given that we now have to question everything we know, we don’t know what any of their scores actually are. One thing I feel should have been a clue was why the Chili Peppers hate, out of all bands ever? So…I don’t know. Maybe it’s anyone above 0 actually gets in to The Good Place. Or maybe the medium place is more of a thing than we know. We can’t know till September.
    ~
    ~
    I can’t answer that, but hadn’t the family been established as Rams fans to begin with? I seem to recall that they were.

2. Rachel says:

8- I thought lucifer has referred to being with men before or at least being attracted to them. Maybe in season 1? I didn’t know this was a “reveal.”

19 – I always wondered how tahani made it to the good place. That shoulda been my first clue. What a great finale!

• rob horine says:

Because the “good place” is actually hell. Imagine, you are in a place where you are told going in that everybody has lived a perfectly ‘godly’ life. Things that seem too good for anyone to accomplish. You are there with the most insufferable people you can imagine being stuck with forever. And always worrying that you could be taken down to the “bad place” if you don’t live up to these ‘standards’. Sounds like Hell to me.

And to get in to the Real Heaven is simple. Give all your burdens to Jesus.

• Temperance says:

Certainly a large percentage of christians are bigoted, insufferable, cruel (but fake nice and self-righteous) bullies, so where ever they’re going would certainly be hell as far as I’m concerned.

3. Hannah says:

10. I always had a thing for savior Severide (you know jumping out of windows to rescue babies and stuff), but that was a whole new level of bamf. RESPECT.

11. I’m always surprised at the prevalence of continuity screw-ups these days. I know mistakes will happen, but in the current world where gifs and side-by-side comparisons are everywhere (especially on social media), I’m confused as to why shows don’t make more of an effort with these things.

4. Haz says:

I thought there was a scene in the first season of Lucifer where he was in bed with a man and woman? I think during the first five episodes. Either way it’s not shocking Lucifer comes off as a very sexual being, doesn’t matter if it’s man or woman.

5. Eva says:

#13 – should be easy, most fans treat is this way already ;)

6. #6. Is it Mac and Cheese? Or just any kind of pasta with any kind of cheese? Why is it that I need an answer to this question?!

7. ScottJ says:

4 – Sherlock. Dropping the rope into the well was part of a closing montage to make it clear that Watson was found and rescued. We didn’t see all of the rescue.

• herman1959 says:

I’ll accept that answer.

• Sandra Williams says:

I agree – he grabbed the rope but made it look like he was just using it to pull himself as far out of the water as he could until help (Sherlock with the key) came down. I can’t figure why others aren’t filling in the blanks on that scene.

8. KLS says:

#11. Check out the opening theme for The Rockford Files (1974-1980). There is an answering machine in his office and it didn’t seem like a rare thing.

9. Margie says:

Answering machines did not become more affordable until 1984. Before that they were quite expensive. I don’t believe I had one back then.

• Lauren says:

Funny I was just Googling that, couldn’t remember having one at home in 1980. “The “takeoff” period for answering machines occurred after 1984, when AT&T split up and customers finally had complete freedom to buy their own telephone equipment.” Person below must be confused -_-

• Annie Sisk says:

They were invented in ’49, commercially available in ’60. They became *cheaper* and thus more prevalent in the mid1908s. I graduated high school ’84. I knew about them then and none of my acquaintances or family members were super-wealthy.

10. fiberlicious says:

11: Sorry, young’un, most of us had answering machines in 1980.

11. Daisy says:

12. Whether or not The Sting exists in NCIS:NOLA world, the entire episode was ruined for me because I kept waiting for someone to bring it up. They were all acting like this was some innovative plan.

12. Sabrina says:

it seems like Michael in the Good Place accidentally created Purgatory. Also, what if there is no “good place”. What if that’s just part of the bad place’s ruse?

13. ToyCannon says:

13) “Will & Grace” should just ignore the events of the finale just like they ignored that Stan “died” atop Lorraine Finster when they retconned his story and brought him back from the dead.

• Temperance says:

I think if the just skipped ahead in time, they could use or ignore pretty much anything they like and no one would really notice or care.

14. BM says:

10. – I didn’t really need to see so much of that. I think they made it very clear that it would heard, so I thought it was unnecessary to show all of that.

15. Kay says:

I think the Good Place is actually a lot like the way Michael set up the Bad Place. He seemed to take all his direction from there- and that would make it easier for the “actors” in the town, who may already know what the Good Place looks like and could pretend. Plus Michael said he borrowed a Good Place Janet, which tells me his goal was to copy it as much as possible while still making it awful.

16. chiguy79 says:

5. I’ve been expecting the Lucy/Wyatt pairing pretty much since the second episode, but in the show’s defense, Wyatt is the security guard of the group. I’m sure if Lucy was having some technical difficulties she’d be calling for Rufus first.

7a. THANK YOU!!!!! I get they want to include him more in the show but when you establish someone as a tech genius, it doesn’t mean they’re an everything expert, especially a medical expert. So frustrating.

17. Annie Sisk says:

Sure. They were invented in 1949 and commercially available in the US beginning in the 60’s. True, they became super popular in the mid-80s (about the time I graduated from high school), but they were around.

18. Catt says:

11) Hmm … I was too focused on the unwrapped buns in the scene to notice the mismatched muffin wrapper. Or the muffin.

19. Mark says:

I thought the exact same thing about the answering machine on This is Us.

20. Temperance says:

1) Who ares? it’s surreal fun. 8) It was no surprise to viewers because it was revealed earlier and talked about once or twice already on the show. Either in the pilot or the second episode, Lucifer got out of bed, leaving a naked man and woman behind. One of the episode was even called the Devil’s triangle.

21. lrdslvrhnd says:

8) Pretty sure in the pilot (and definitely in one of the first few eps) he refers to having an “appropriately-named devil’s threesome”. So no, no surprise whatsoever.
    19) Boring as all get-out, most likely. I always did wonder how the name-dropping self-bragging Tahani got in the Good Place, and now I know.
    MY question about the Good Place is… Eleanor Shellstrop is Case #0000003 (give or take a few zeros); Mindi St. Clair would obviously be #000001 or #000002… which leads me to wonder who, exactly, the *other* one is, and will that be revealed in a potential S2? …Or did the judge just make up the case number entirely?

22. pAloma says:

#8 was a reveal. We already knew that Lucifer has sex with men and women, it’s come up in previous episodes.

23. neaorlean says:

9 | It’s time for NCIS to once and for all turn down the volume on Abby. (Umpteen seasons in, I find it hard to believe that a woman in her very late 40s will act as a teenage girl and not change anything about herself, not even her hairstyle in 15 years, or the way she talks and her quirks that we’ve seen so many times now, it’s just extremely annoying that the character, although likeable, has shown absolutely no personal growth whatsoever, and we’re just getting served the same old same old every episode. In two years she will be 50, I get that she doesn’t look it, but I find the character more and more unrelatable and… Well, annoying.)

24. Arlene says:

10. Why didn’t the doctors suggest general anesthesia?

25. Alichat says:

14) It’s that and the fact that only the winners are invited to show up. So if your favorite actress announces on Twitter that she won’t be at the PCAs, then you know she either didn’t win or did win but you’ll hear about it after the show in the lame press release. They seriously need to revamp how they do that show…..from the voting to the presentations.

26. PSL says:

#11 – The answering machine in 1980 was not totally implausible, just highly unlikely unless Rebecca’s friend was either rich or running a business that required one. It was considered a luxury item and didn’t really catch on until prices fell later in the 1980s.

27. dean says:

I like the ship name. It’s a good excuse to get Trubel on Arrow once Grimm is finished.

28. David Graf says:

19 – We still do not know if there is a good place.

29. thomaskdean says:

7–Lucius Fox joined the GCPD in the first episode of the current season, as a “science expert,” though, not ME. Since Leslie Thompkins is off the GCPD now, I guess Fox has stepped in, though I’m not sure if that was ever specifically announced.

30. “Sherlock”.
    Sorry to report that I loathed the “season/series” finale. And yes, I too noticed that a rope would have done now good since he was chained to the bottom of the well.
    Most of the episode made no sense and was so Un-Sherlock” that going forward I’m going to pretend it doesn’t exist.

31. #9. Not just the music. Time for an update to Abby’s look, including her dyed black hair & the pony tails. It can still be edgy but perhaps it’s time for the former hosts of “Extreme Makeover” (not the “Home Edition”) to pay her a visit. Or have Bishop & Quinn to help her out.

#12. I didn’t hear any reference to “The Sting” either and I caught every last reference. Only thing missing was Dana Elcar showing up and shooting “Gondorff” after he shot “Hooker”.

• Marc says:

9- I think she needs Stacy London and Clinton Kelly. And, thank you TVLine. After, what, 14 years, the music had faded into the background for me unitl now. Now, it’s all I hear in her scenes. It’s like Colbert’s right ear. I can’t unread it.

32. Virgil says:

#19. I think you missed when this was addressed. Chidhi was so indecisive he ruined every relationship he had, which also took a toll on the lives of the people who liked him. Tahani was completely selfish and everything she did was to try to get out of her sisters shadow. So Chidhi just didn’t do enough actual good things to balance out his extreme negative character trait, while Tahani just did everything to make herself look good.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, we saw and acknowledged that above. The question is: Just how perfectly moral do you have to be to get into the actual Good Place?

33. kath says:

9) I wondered why they didn’t do the bone marrow grab under hypnosis or acupuncture or another non-anesthetic method. I lost respect for the writing.

22) Trulicity? Felicity and Justin Trudeau of course.