Riverdale Preview

Riverdale Stars on Iconic Love Triangle: We're Not Pitting Betty vs. Veronica

Riverdale — The CW’s dark, sexy Archie adaptation — is leaving the fierce female rivalry between Betty and Veronica on the comic-book page.

“We don’t want to pit these women against each other,” Lili Reinhart, who plays Betty, said during TVLine’s visit to the show’s Vancouver set last November. “That was important to us. We didn’t want to make it seem like these women had nothing better to do than fight over a man — especially one who, in the comics, picks one [girl] one day and the other the next. We’re definitely not falling into that.”

As a result, Betty and Veronica are “a lot closer” in the CW series – debuting Thursday, Jan. 26 at 9/8c – than in the source material, Camila Mendes (Veronica) says. In fact, you might even call them – gasp! – pals. “Whatever rivalry happens, it’s going to happen because of Archie, but it’s never really going to get in the way of the essence of their friendship.”

Riverdale Season 1 PhotosAs much as Veronica is intrigued by Archie, she is also drawn to the sweet, stifled girl next door. “I think [Veronica] sees all this potential in [Betty] that is being pushed down because of her mother,” Mendes shares. “Her mother really has a negative effect on her life. Veronica recognizes that and is trying to bring all… the strength in Betty out so that the world can see it.”

But the infamous love triangle isn’t gone; it’s just morphing into another shape altogether. When Riverdale opens, Archie is hooking up with his music teacher Miss Grundy – and she won’t be the only female to catch the ginger guy’s eye.

“Archie ends up having a girlfriend who is not Betty or Veronica, which also causes some conflict” between the trio, leading man K.J. Apa (Archie) previews.

Adds Mendes: “That’s part of what makes Archie Archie is that he wants everyone. It’s not even just Betty and Veronica. He wants Cheryl [Blossom], he wants whatever. Any girl that comes his way that gives him any slight bit of attention, he’s going to want to receive it.”

1. Ian says:

Sounds so intriguing!11!1!!!! Bottle redhead teenage boy with more abs than sense screws every female in town, but awww sisterhood yaaayyyyy!!1!!!!!
    *rolls eyes* It’s actually nauseating.
    Give the CW a pat on the back, everyone!

2. sunshine says:

It’s criminal to use the name of an iconic entity and then garbage it up without reference to the original story. All the Sherlock stuff does the same. Just because they can grab a title that ran out of copyright protection doesn’t mean they should. Criminal and shameful writing, anyone conected should be embarrassed.

3. Sarah says:

This sounds completely unappealing. I don’t want to see a male character that looks at women as sparkly toys and wants every one he sees. I will definitely pass on this one. I would wonder why any show runner or writer would think the CW audience would want to see that type of thing play out on screen. Hard pass from me.

4. Luis Roman says:

Maybe I’m looking at too much subtext, but you’re making it sound like Betty and Veronica become a lot more than “pals,” which would be an entirely different direction from the comics.

5. myrcellasear says:

I will never understand why any girl would want Archie, who is like a sweet puppy dog whose loyalty has been completely obliterated. But it’s cool that the women will be friends, which they technically were in the source material anyway. Hopefully they’re REAL friends, and not like Blair/Serena any time they both wanted the same (unworthy) dude.

6. Jessi says:

Disclaimer: I have been a fan of the comics for 25 years (and if anyone hasn’t read them in the last decade–DO IT. The revamp had me worried, but it turned out to be everything I always wanted Archie comics to be).

I am excited for the series. I love Archie, I love Twin Peaks, I love it when series adjust to be relevant.

That said, Betty and Veronica were always pals in the comics. Frenemies, sure, but it’s been stated approximately a billion times that they are best friends. The Betty & Veronica comics were about their BFF adventures together more often than they were about the pair fighting over Archie.

Also, I don’t need wholesome bubblegum Archie of yesteryear, but I do wish they weren’t jumping right into having Archie sleeping with a teacher. I am still excited and will definitely tune in, but that feels like something that should have been built up to, not shown in the first ep. Immediately, it makes me feel Archie is skeezy.

Also, Miss Grundy…..

7. TV Gord says:

I interviewed an exec at Archie Comics many years ago, and he said Archie Comics sell better in Canada (per capita) than they do in the U.S., so it’s surprising to me that a Canadian network hasn’t picked this up. Sure, we get The CW, but it’s a premium channel that costs about the same as an HBO subscription. Personally, it’ll be more economical for me to wait for the DVDs (if they’re still doing those).

• thetvwife says:

I believe it’ll be available on Netflix Canada on a weekly basis like the rest of the new CW (Frequency and No Tomorrow) shows have been.