Miguel Ferrer Dead Dies NCIS Los Angeles

NCIS: LA's Miguel Ferrer Dead at 61

Actor Miguel Ferrer, who had memorable roles on NCIS: Los Angeles and Crossing Jordan, has died at the age of 61.

Ferrer passed away Thursday after a long battle with cancer, our sister site Deadline reportsSince midway through Season 3, Ferrer has played NCIS: Los AngelesAssistant Director Owen Granger, who in the CBS drama’s Jan. 15 episode was caught in the crosshairs of the mole hunt, framed for the assault of a woman he met at a bar. He also played medical examiner Dr. Garret Macy opposite Jill Hennessy on NBC’s 2001-07 crime drama Crossing Jordan.

He was a part of the Twin Peaks universe as well, playing FBI forensics expert Albert Rosenfield on the original ABC series and reprising the role in the 1992 movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Ferrer shot a role in Showtime’s upcoming Twin Peaks revival, once again playing Rosenfield.

“Today, NCIS: Los Angeles lost a beloved family member,” showrunner R. Scott Gemmill said in a statement. “Miguel was a man of tremendous talent who had a powerful dramatic presence on screen, a wicked sense of humor, and a huge heart. Our thoughts go out to his wife Lori, his sons [Lukas and Rafi], and his entire family. He will be greatly missed.”

1. He worked until the very end! RIP!

• Andrew Hass says:

At least he was doing what he loved until the very end and i’m wondering if the show somehow knew the end was near and has been prepared

• Brian says:

He appeared in the episode that aired this past Sunday and his character had been gravely injured in an episode that was “To be continued.”. The next episode airs, I believe, January 29.

• Mary says:

People.com says he was given the option by NCIS:LA to be written out due to his health but he opted to stay on. It also said when his voice was affected by the illness (or treatment, doesn’t say exactly) the show wrote his illness into the storyline. Which is not true, correct? I don’t recall the show saying Grainger was sick but I’ve missed some episodes here and there. RIP, he will be missed by many.

• Lee Ann Sturiano says:

His voice was brought up. Being in Vietnam nam, agent orange

• Cristen says:

They talked about it without really talking about it in a recent episode. I think it was 2 or 3 episodes ago where they showed him having some kind of CT Scan or MRI and then he was sitting with Hetty talking in general terms. The rest of the team had been starting to wonder.

• I think it was more hinted than stated- he was showing talking with hetty, taking a scan and missed work; I remembewr watching this last season and wondering if Ferrer was sick, as he looked much older- and less healthier- than he used to.

• Bark Star says:

Yes, it was brought up on the show but it was a blink-and-you-miss-it, two sentence exchange between Granger and Hetty a few episodes back.

• Barbara says:

I hope they do. He deserves a fond farewell

2. Et al says:

Shocked beyond words.

Rest In Peace.

With he and Catherine Coulson, Twin Peaks will be as sad an occasion as it is joyous.

3. Terri Spoonemore says:

Will be missed. Many prayers for family peace

4. CourtTV says:

That’s sad. Very young. You could tell he’d been sick on the show.

• chrisze says:

I agree. While watching the last epsiode I thought that he looked really bad

• MMD says:

So did I, especially this past episode plus Hetty had made references to his poor health. I loved him on Crossing Jordan. A class act who passed way too young.

Sincerest condolences and strength to his family, NCIS family, friends and many fans.

• grazelled says:

It was shocking to see pictures of him when he first started at NCIS and his most recent ones, how much older and thinner he looked in such a short time. It’s reported he had throat cancer so it makes sense his voice would be different. Love how he transformed Granger into a character you could root for, great actor. Also loved him on Crossing Jordan. He will be missed.

5. Elite752 says:

Wow. RIP Mr. Ferrer I enjoyed your work on NCIS:LA and Iron Man.

6. fiberlicious says:

Didn’t know he was sick. Sad.

7. Andrew Hass says:

My condolences to his family.As for the character of Granger, i’m wondering if the show will ave him die of-screen or maybe Granger reassigned to another post but i’m sure a new character will take his place.

• Margaret Case says:

NO ONE will be able to take his place

• Anthony says:

my hope is that they send him off to Korea w/ his newly found daughter to find her mother together like they discussed on the pier when she told him her real name, Yujin

• Really!? says:

No one needs to replace him, and shouldn’t. As far as the show, there are already too many regular characters in it and they should not add one

8. Steven says:

I was just watching Crossing Jordan. This is awful! RIP!

9. Rachel says:

RIP! :-(

10. chuckiechk says:

shocking, I’m at a lost of words.

11. Steve F. says:

Aw, man… he had a great presence in many of the projects I saw him in. RIP.

12. Brenda says:

I literally gasped when I saw this. Condolences to his family and his tv family. May he rest in peace, forever.

13. Annie says:

I knew him from Crossing Jordan. When I learned he was on NCIS LA, I stared watching the series.

RIP did not know he had been ill.

14. albertj15 says:

He was very good in the parts he played an will be missed. Rest In Peace.

15. Kim Barron says:

I liked how they gradually got Granger to be liked and part of the team. They knew he was very ill when they wrote in the conversation with Hetty about him being very sick earlier this year. I hope they give him a fitting farewell on the show.

16. Brigid says:

So sad. He was one of my mother’s favorites. An amazing character actor who will be sorely missed.

17. Sue Herrin says:

He was a great actor, and will be missed. He looked so much like his father who I was also watched during his entire career. My thoughts to the family!

• msm19 says:

I was just going to post about his resemblance to his father. I remembering watching Jose Ferrer in the Caine Mutiny and being amazed at how much they looked alike. Uncanny. It seems he inherited not only his father’s looks but his talent as well. I think the best word I can use to describe his acting career is memorable. No matter what the project was, he always stood out. Reading all the twitter tributes to him, he stands out even more for his kindness and humor. All thoughts to his family, especially his wife and sons.

18. hank ronson says:

he was also great in Robocop as bob Morton rip Miguel you will be missed

19. Wendy says:

I remember him as a bad guy boxing coach on Law & Order: Criminal Intent and in the ER pilot when, ironically, Dr. Susan Lewis diagnosed his character with cancer. :-( If I recall, he is George Clooney’s cousin. The man was a great actor. May he RIP.

20. Jessica says:

Thats too sad another death he will be missed greatly he wasnt sounded too good the past couple of months when he was on ncis la im sure he will be killed off. My heart goes out to his family in this time of need

21. DavidJ says:

Sad to hear this. I always remember him most as the weaselly OCP guy in Robocop.

22. annieo53 says:

RIP and condolences to the family. I enjoyed watching his character on #NCIS:LA and have been concerned about the actor’s health.

23. Ro says:

Shocked…

24. Leanna says:

I had been wondering if he was sick. His speech seemed affected, like he had a stroke or something. So sad :(

25. Oh, this hurts! He will be missed, and I hope he knows how much he meant to so many fans of his shows! R.I.P., Mr. Ferrer. There will only ever be one of you, with shoes that cannot be filled. R. I. P.

26. Joey Padron says:

Sad to hear of his passing. He was such a good actor, he’ll be missed. RIP.

27. Very sad. I had a feeling he was pretty sick because of how he looked on screen for the last few months but it’s still sad to finally get confirmation of what people had suspected. Thoughts and prayers for his family, loved ones and colleagues.

28. Sherrie Roe says:

HE was a tremendous actor. It is sad to lose such great talent.

29. Mike says:

I literally just started watching Twin Peaks for the first time last weekend. He was pretty great in it.

30. Sherrie Roe says:

HE was a fantastic actor. It is very sad to lose such great talent. My heartfelt sympathies to his family.

31. Polly says:

so sad.
    i was a huge fan since Traffic.

32. Glen says:

RIP, sad to hear this

33. Mia says:

Sad news. RIP

34. dragons3 says:

Just shocked. I have always been a fan of his, especially in Crossing Jordan and NCIS: LA. He was very good in “The Stand”, too — scary. RIP, Mr. Ferrer. Condolences to his family and friends.

35. Quinn says:

RIP, Miguel. A solid and talented actor, especially on Crossing Jordan. You’ll be missed.

36. Jacque Q says:

I’m very sorry to hear this. He had not been looking well for quite some time and I was hoping my suspicions were off. He was a very talented man with a huge presence. He’ll be missed.

37. I loved this guy. He was one of my favorites. I remember him from way back to Broken Badges. He will be greatly missed.

38. Kevin says:

He was great in TV and in movies like RoboCop and Crossing Jordan among others. Sad about his passing. RIP Miguel Ferrer :-(

39. Mary Kelly says:

I knew something was wrong since I had noticed he had trouble talking and looked very thin. So young, this is sad. Loved the interacttion with Director. Hetty..RIP Miguel Ferrer, God Bless you and may God watch over your family. You will be missed..

40. Larc says:

Very sad. RIP, Miguel Ferrer (and Owen Granger).

41. john l says:

He hasn’t looked very well for quite awhile.

42. I noticed that the other day he was not looking well and I wondered if he was actually sick. I will miss him. I always liked him in any show that he played on.

43. I assume that Miguel Ferrer is the frrst celebrity death of 2017.

44. Edna says:

Two Episodes before, he was so pale, that I told my husband ‘ He is Sick and it could be cancer” I’m a cancer survivor and worked for over 15 years with cancer patient. When my doctor told me I had cancer I told him “I knew it”

45. Pat says:

I had noticed in some of the episodes, that his speech had a little slur in it and he also was not speaking a lot in these episodes. He also was losing weight and he did not look good. God Bless him, for wanting to stay on as long as he did. Acting, truly must have been one of his greatest passions. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and for Miguel, “May You Rest In Peace”. He will be missed, by this fan of NCIS LA.

46. Michelle Fishback says:

Peace to his family and friends both on and off the screen.

47. Nimo Jin says:

So sorry…I didn’t know he was sick. The last scene he was in a hospital bed after being shot and then to be continued…Prayers for his family. He will be missed

48. Lori says: