Black-ish Spinoff

Black-ish Spinoff Eyed at ABC

ABC is looking to expand its black-ish franchise via a spinoff centered on eldest daughter Zoey, played by Yara Shahidi, Deadline reports.

The offshoot, which is being shepherded by black-ish creator Kenya Barris, would follow Zoey as she goes off to college next season. Viewers will likely get a first look at the potential series when it airs as a backdoor pilot episode of black-ish this spring.

ABC is on something of a spinoff kick. The network recently announced plans for a ’90s-set Goldbergs offshoot revolving around high school gym teacher Rick Mellor (played by Bryan Callen).

What do you think? Would you watch a Zoey-fronted sitcom? Do you think they’ll call it college-ish? Or A Different-ish World? Weigh in below!

1. padraicjacob says:

I love Zoey. She’s probably one of my favorite characters on the mothership. If they take her off there will definitely be a hole missing.

That being said, the spinoff could work if they aim to do a different world kind of show.

2. Jared says:

I’m conflicted I would miss Zoey on Blackish, but I’d also love seeing a spinoff about her life in college.

3. Amber says:

Are they about to give us “A Different World 2.0”? That would be awesome.

• Steven says:

I was thinking the same thing! Make Jasmine Guy one of the professors!

• itsactuallycorrine says:

Exactly what I came here to say! We haven’t had a show to fill that void in over 20 years and i trust these writers to give us something pretty close

• Telly says:

So Awesome. There really has been nothing quite like a Different World since it ended years ago. It obviously won’t be a reboot of that show, but a few tip of the hats and nods to it would be cute. That show was so inspiring and showcased a path in life that many don’t get to see. I know the writers of black-ish would be able to handle the task of finding the balance of humor and also social commentary that they strike so perfectly on the mothership. Love this idea!

4. DV says:

Sorry, I’d still rather have a Sue Heck spinoff

5. Jimmy says:

Please call it A Different World!

6. T-Dizzle says:

It may be a year or two too late, but, ABC should’ve done a spinoff with Haley and Andy from Modern Family.

7. Lola says:

I like Zoey but if I’m being honest here, I think she’s the least interesting Johnson kid. I rarely laugh at her but on the other hand I find myself always laughing at Jack, Diane, and Junior.

8. TvLover says:

Zoe?
    What about Sue, Brad and and Lexi from the Middle, that’s pretty much Three’s Company.
    Okay, really just a show with Sue Heck would work.

9. Matthew Lawler says:

Am I the only one that the first and the popular head when I hear this news is a different world which was a spin off the Cosby show that was supposed to follow Denise as she entered college only to have the actress leave the show after the first season

10. William says:

MAKE IT HAPPEN ABC!!!! I’m perfectly here for A Different World 2K17. There are so many relevant issues worth highlighting at the college age among black people. Hopefully it’s set in a HBCU.

11. 90sbaby says:

I would rather see The Middle get a spin-off with the Donahue’s

12. yolanda says:

Personally she doesn’t seem strong or interesting enough to carry her own show.

• april-ann says:

She’s not. That’s why it won’t be a problem when her head gets too big for the show (Denise, anyone?) and she leaves after the first season due to a “breakdown in contract negotiations” and she thinks she wants to be a movie star. She won’t be missed. They will make sure the supporting cast is really not “supporting” and secure the talent necessary to make this a hit. They have another successful show in mind, she’s just the vessel.

• Vincent says:

Afraid I have to agree with you Yolanda. If she does get a spinoff she should have it put in her contract that she can move back home (so to speak).

13. Maria says:

I wonder if they’d get Zendaya on board with this. Her character could be roommates with Zoey.

14. april-ann says:

I’d so much rather watch Sue, Lexie, Brad, Axl, Kenny and Hutch. That being said, how about both? Oh yeah, I forgot. Gotta make more room for the almighty ruler of ABC and her Shonda sh**shows. I think we all knew why Nashville was cancelled even after it snagged Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz. To make more room for the real boss of ABC. Her shows are so silly and stupid and I’m hoping ratings will reflect that soon.

• Vanessa says:

It’s truly bizarre and pathetic how people go on rants about stuff that has nothing to do with the topic of the article. Get a diary or a blog.

• Hannah says:

What on earth are you ranting about? Hahaha some people need a little more therapy and a little less access to the internet.

15. YestoKylie says:

Zoey is my fav of the kids so I love this…

16. johnhelvete says:

Since a few posters on here keep on bringing up The Middle, how about Zoe (Blacklish) and Sue (The Middle) end up at the same college, and the new show would spinoff both The Middle and The Blackish?

17. Tom says:

How about they send Diane to boarding school. No spinoff, just send her away. Then do Different-ish World and maybe find a way for Pops to drop in now and again

18. Josh says:

That would be kind of “Different World-y”. I’m excited. I’ll miss Zoey but I’m sure she’ll show up. Honestly, Zoey isn’t the type to stay at home for college.

19. abbidon says:

Yara is GORGEOUS! I think a spinoff is a great idea! ABC could use a show catering to a younger crowd like other stations have going for them.

20. Jake L. says:

The Middle is produced by Warner Bros. Television for ABC, whereas ABC’s vertically integrated studio produces Black-ish. Therefore, a crossover between the two would be both highly unlikely and legally very complex to make work, because the shows are made by different companies even though they air on the same network. Furthermore, The Middle is already doing a better job of integrating college stories for Sue and Axl onto the existing show than any other modern sitcom. They don’t need a spinoff to continue doing that. Taking Zoey out at this juncture seems to make narrative sense, and I’m sure they can still do crossovers, etc. when she comes home for scheduled school breaks, etc., so it’s not like it’s the end of her interacting with the current cast, either.

21. Ram510 says:

I could see a blackish spinoff but I think it should be a spinoff of maybe the workplace whether it’s Dre (most likely) or Bo. A zoey spinoff isn’t bad but I feel she should stay part of the main show sort of like what The Middle did with Axl

22. SO here for this!! I’ll miss her on black-Ish, but she’ll still most likely appear on the show from time to time, and if the spinoff fails for any reason, I’m sure they’ll welcome her back with open arms. But a “A Different World” type show is exactly what the world needs right now. Way to go, Yara!!

23. Adam says:

I’m not a fan of spinoffs built around a character while the original show is still airing. They always end up feeling like the smaller companion show that gets forgotten about, then becomes a mess as they try to either bring the original character back or just flop.

24. May says:

I can see Junior having his own adventure, and I can even see Diane and Jack having a morning show one day but Zoey having her own show is duller than she already is. I usually forget her character.

25. Poppy Bagel says:

Call the show “Zoey 102”

26. Tomm Huntre says:

I’d rather see Axel marry Sue Heck’s ultra rich roommate and spin that couple off to their own show.

I enjoy ‘black-ish’ exactly as it is! Love that show!

27. evababy says:

I think is really a rather good idea. Zoe’s beauty obsessed teenager sometimes gets lost in all the bigger personalities on the show. Junior has the uber geek thing completely locked down. Jack is the clueless little sunflower. Diane is the precocious sociopath. Their personalities get mined for a lot of comedy but there isn’t much you can do with a pretty “it girl” persona.

Putting her in a new environment and giving her a chance to grow and in college no less would offer the blackish writers a whole new environment to play with.

28. readenreply says:

How about a show based on Bo’s kooky brother… who finally gets a job as a professor of poetry or something at a community college? (please no small liberal arts dorm college in the midwest).

29. Ryan says:

the ratings are blackish are mediocre at best, and they want to do a spin off??? lol

30. jshun says:

ABC = “All Black Channel” Count this white boy O-U-T!

31. Jason says:

Definite flashback to “A Different World”. Modern Family and The Middle have managed to keep things more or less the same when kids went off to college. The Middle has even managed to maintain a foot in both worlds. In either case, this conceit depends on the kids going to school nearby. There is plenty to explore in a college environment, but hopefully for Zoey, she lasts longer than Lisa Bonet did on the one season she spent on her own show.

32. Iakovos says:

ADULT-ISH? Concept sounds A DIFFERENT WORLD-ish to me. have no doubt creators have something to say in the project, but is the character of Zoey strong enough to lead an ensemble? I like BLACK-ISH very much and find the ensemble widlly talented. I might miss Zoey’s cal in the family storm if she were gone.

33. liame says:

This would be great! I love Zoey and the actress who plays her is an amazing actress. She’s so beautiful and talented.

34. Vincent says:

Here’s an idea for a spinoff. The character of Charlie (I apologize for not knowing the actor’s name) for some reason ends up moving in with Laurence Fishburne’s character. Both are hilarious. Although Laurence Fishburne’s movie career might not allow for it.

35. Aip Hcabztruw says:

Here’s an idea. Send Zoey (Black-ish) and Molly (Dr. Ken) to the same college. Instead of a remake of A Different World, it could be a multicultural clashing that could be fun.

36. Sounds terrific. I would watch.

37. Zoe’s role as an apathetic, self absorbed teen is probably what stops us from seeing her talent. She is adorable, funny and convincing. I would like to see her in a college setting but she would have to have a strong co-star because she couldn’t change that much from Blackish to her new show and her character isn’t interesting enough to carry a show.

38. ivykilla says:

No i would not i hate zoey she’s the worst character on the show