Will & Grace Reunion

Will & Grace Returns: NBC Officially Orders 10-Episode Revival

Somewhere Leslie Jordan is doing the “Told Ya So” dance.

After months of reports, rumors and innuendo, NBC is making it official: The network has ordered a 10-episode Will & Grace revival to air during the 2017-18 TV season. All four of the series’ Emmy-winning stars — Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally — will reprise their signature roles as Will, Grace, Jack and Karen, with series creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan on board as showrunners and exec producers. Additionally, TV legend James Burrows, who directed every episode of the sitcom during its initial eight-year run, will helm all 10 episodes.

“Dave and I are absolutely thrilled about the opportunity to write what Will, Grace, Jack and Karen are thinking about in 2017,” said Mutchnick in a statement.

Back in October, TVLine reported that NBC was in preliminary talks about doing a limited-run of original episodes. Buzz about a potential revival came in response to the release of a 10-minute, present-day, election-themed video which found the Emmy-winning quartet reprising their roles in support of Hillary Clinton. Two months later, Jordan — who won an Emmy for his role as Beverly Leslie — let it slip that NBC had already given the project a formal green light.

NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke confirms that it was that “secret reunion show” that got the ball rolling. “The fact that all four of the original stars were excited about getting back into production is a testament to the joyful experience they had doing nearly 200 episodes for eight seasons,” she adds. “Few things cut through the clutter these days, especially in comedy, and Will & Grace is one of the best.”

Adds NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt: “This groundbreaking series for everything from gay rights to social and political commentary — all disguised as a high-speed train of witty pop culture — is coming back where it belongs.”

Watch the first promo below:

1. Jennifer says:

SQUEE!!!!! Finally. Some good news!!!

2. Annie says:

As overplayed as the reunion trope may be I am ridiculously excited for this one.

3. JC says:

The final season was AWFUL, so no thank you

• Eran says:

Let’s call a spade a spade, the last three seasons were pretty much a train wreck. However, a hell of a lot of time has since passed, the TV landscape has changed a great deal and I for one, am willing to give them the credit to have learnt from past mistakes, enough to know what to focus on this time around so that we not have a reboot of The Special Guest Star of the Week Show with guest appearances by Will and Grace.

• Gern Blanston says:

I can’t even watch the early seasons anymore. I turned an episode on recently that I remembered loving when it first aired and had to turn it off when the first commercial break hit. The characters are just so unlikable. They are selfish, loud, and grating. I don’t see how they could write the characters that would appeal to me without changing the entire dynamic of the show.

• Natalie says:

It’s funny you would say that..as the show went on I realized I couldn’t stand Grace. And by the time the show ended it was time for it to end. I’m not sure how I feel about this revival.

4. Allison A Barbieri says:

I’m super excited, but I do wonder how they will use the series ending and Will & Grace’s long time estrangement as part of this reboot…

• MiaB says:

I wondered this also. Hopefully they’ll pretend like it didn’t happen.

• Julia says:

Super excited as well, and was thinking the same thing. They pretty much wrapped up the show in the series finale.

• Adam says:

Given the finale, I’m confused on this as well. I would laugh it takes place during their estrangement with the title “Will & (Separately) Grace.”

I would imagine they’d just rewrite that it never happened though.

• Kathy says:

I already posted separate but just saw this. I am thinking maybe after they met up again when their kids went to college and maybe their kids will be getting married to each other! That’s the only way it would really work since they made it known that they did not speak for 18 years

5. Lola says:

Give me Jack and Karen or give me death. Yes. While I liked Will and Grace, Jack and Karen gave me life and personally were the characters I watched for.

• Yes, I would definitely watch a series with “just Jack”, Karen, Rosario and Beverley. Those characters were the true source of humor in this wonderful series.

Also, why hasn’t James Burrows been given a Kennedy Center Award yet. Many of the shows this man has directed has become a classic, including Taxi, Cheers and several in the MTM canon.

• JenJ says:

Actually, Jack and Karen were the main reasons I stuck with the show! They were always so great, and it was those two who I have missed all of these years.

6. Kathy says:

I am thinking that maybe they will start off when they started talking again when their kids are in college, maybe they will be getting married!!!

7. Ann says:

While I’m exciting to see it come back. What are they going to do? They pretty much did a good job wrapping the series in the final episode. What are they going to do now? Show their kids falling in love? I’d rather much just have a spin-off with their kids all grown up and Will and Grace as minor characters.

8. Yeah!!! Hope rosario is back too!!!

9. Raul J says:

The problem I have with this revival is that it totally contradicts the time jump finale. This is the period thatvWillmand Grace are estranged from each other and won’t see each other again until their kids meet in college. Also, Jack is now wealthy, having inherited a fortune from Beverly Leslie and is basically supporting Karen and Rosario.

10. Eric7740 says:

YES!!!!! Thank you to everyone involved!!! Can’t wait for new Will & Grace!!!

11. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy about this.Plus NBC may want to see how these 10 episodes do before they commit to anymore.As for how Will and Grace ended, my guess is they won’t ignore it but maybe they’ll make it seem like it was a dream by one of the characters.

12. MMD says:

So thrilled. It still airs in reruns on Sat mornings for 3 hours and occasionally Sundays on W Network. I can’t even count how many times I have watched each episode and I still laugh.

13. Yolanda says:

Jesus people have you ever heard of Absolutely Fabulous? That show had like bazillion series finale and always came back after coupe years and pretended nothing happened. It’s sitcom for pete’s sake. Who cares about continuity on sitcom? And finale sucked balls so great now we can erase it from our memory.

14. Butch says:

As long as they can maintain the quality of the recent reunion, this should be great.

15. DJ PlaZma says:

yes, Yes, YES, YESSS!!!!!

16. Eva says:

Sooo, do we just all agree to pretend that finale was just a bad dream? I don’t mind.

17. J.B. says:

Please, please, PLEASE let this mean that they will somehow retcon the show’s gods awful series finale. One of the worst ones I’ve ever seen. However, I hope that they can get Bobby Cannavale to come back and play Vince and Harry Connick Jr. to play Leo. Plus some sort of tribute to Debbie Reynolds would make this so, so extra worthwhile.

18. J.B. says:

19. Jake says:

Make America Bueno Again! Can’t wait.

20. Carlos says:

I guess I’m one of the few who liked the original ending. I could see how Will & Grace would stop talking for years after being so dependent on each other. Been there, done that. ;-)

• LADY_in_MD says:

I can see how Will & Grace even though they were the best of friends moved on from each other but eventually found each other again. Happened to me and by best friend didn’t speak for 5 years and now we are back to being friends as if no time has passed.

21. DJ PlaZma says:

At least it’s the original cast and not some poorly-conceived reboot or update with added cast members or replacement actors.

22. After seeing their latest comments about Trump, I say “No thank you.” But I’m sure there will be enough snowflakes or those who just can’t suck it up buttercups. So tired of Hollywood thinking. Their job is to pretend, not to think.

• JC says:

I thought pretending was Mango Mussolini’s job.

• Nick says:

Right on! I mean who wants to watch something that someone took the time to think out…that’s the pits…writing, directing, acting, etc. don’t take no thinking…i’m sick of watching anything that Hollywood took the time to think about boo

23. Eran says:

You sort of can’t help but wonder whether the first episode will be around a farewell to Bobbi Adler…

24. Cas says:

I’ll watch. I think it is normal for friends to move on so I didn’t really think the finale was that bad. But I so like that Grace and Leo ended up together so I hope he is back too.

25. tony says:

Debra Nessing spewed so much hatred during the election. I won’t watch it just because if her mouth. Actors should do what they do and stay out of politics. She should be replaced.

26. LAwoman says:

I’m so happy about this I won’t even care if they address the finale or pretend it never happened. I just want to see them all again.

27. Cj Keller says:

Just like Fuller House, Girl Meets World, and Gilmour Girls, the question needs to be asked: Why? I get shows like The X-Files and Twin Peaks, and to a certain degree 24 and Heroes (though a reboot of Heroes turned out to make that franchise worse than before) would need reboots, but why in god’s name does a show like “Will and Grace” needs to be brought back? Was Night Court actors not available? Was the “Friends” Cast too expensive? Did the cast of “Frazier” laugh at the thought of a reunion?

• Reboot this says:

So pretty much what your saying is shows you like you understand reboots but why do they bring back shows you don’t like?

• sarah t says:

I think there’s somewhat of a difference between a reboot (with a mainly new cast of characters to focus on) and a continuation. Some of the above shows worked because it added to the story (in some way or another). Fuller House shows the girls grown up (but with a bit of the same premise). Also, I think it works because 90’s nostalgia is big right now and the writers still kept somewhat of the same tone to the show. X-Files worked because it was the same characters too, adding to the story. Same with GG. Girl Meets World kind of straddles the middle and I think that’s where it might have lost some. If they would have angled it more in the direction of Fuller House (focusing more on Corey and Topanga and then on the kids, it might have worked better that way (just a guess, I know there are a lot of GMW fans that loved it the way it was but I wasn’t ever big on it). Heroes didn’t work because it was completely new set of characters (for the most part) and the story telling was horrible on top of that.
      I’m not really crazy about Will & Grace just because I don’t think it’s held up as well as it’s Thursday block partner Friends. The writing was a little too set up and the characters were a little too trite (for me). Plus, the last few seasons were heavy on the guest stars and light on just about everything else. My guess is NBC knows that a Friends reunion is highly unlikely. This show was well liked at the time and will get them some much needed viewers for their comedy line up. If this does well, maybe Frazier will be next. Or even Cheers.

28. liame says:

It hasn’t even started yet and I want more than 10 episodes. Dang I love this show.

29. ejdax37 says:

On the one hand this is exciting I loved Will & Grace and more Karen and Jack is always awesome! On the other hand I liked that it had an ending, so many shows especially sitcoms don’t really get an end of any kind they just end. The ending splitting then up is what had to happened with Will and Grace. They may not have been in a sexual relationship but they were in a relationship a very co-dependent one which was a source of a lot of the comedy on the show. For them to move on with other people they had to let each other go. I have a feeling that they are just going to ignore the last season or so and pretend nothing has changed for them but I might be wrong. I am way over thinking this show but that isn’t unusually for me so oh well. WOOHOO more Jack!

30. chadcronin says:

I’m watching this. I say bring back more comedies that worked when they were on.

31. Serviver says:

I started growing tired of the original series near the end of its run, but I’d definitely be in for a revival. I always wished the show focused on Jack & Karen – I found them endlessly more entertaining.

32. MyExBFF says:

Now pleeeease release the series on iTunes!! I’m begging you…take my money.

33. Boiler says:

I and NBC should feel that even with this short stint they need to figure out a way to get Mysteries of Laura back as it performs better than some of their crap

34. Annette says:

Hey finally getting back to great comedy with 4 amazing artists can’t wait!

35. Debbie says:

Here’s an idea for them, have the final episode turn out to be a dream with Will waking up in bed screaming, then as a wink to the original, have Patrick Duffy come out of the bathroom to find out what the problem is, only to then have Grace coming in to wake up Will because she just got a call telling her that her mother has passed away. The entire episode would then deal with Bobbi Adler’s funeral.

36. LoveThisShow says:

i can’t wait to see this show again. What great news! Thank you so much NBC :-)

37. Ella says:

Amazing! Will Bobby Cannavale and Harry Connick Jr be back too?

38. GG says:

Can’t wait for the political jokes. It will be awesome!!

39. KP MOM says:

I loved this show and I’m excited for it to come back. The question “What are these characters thinking in 2017?” makes me worry though. This better not be 10 episodes of Trump jokes.

40. Rhonda says:

This show was hysterical i can not wait for it to air! There was never an episode that wasnt hilarious so boo to the haters im excited!

41. Residential says:

Please don’t, all these re-treads are pathetic!

42. Yeats says:

Maybe the success of this revival will finally convince people that a you cannot beat a good multicamera sitcom.

43. Judith Harris says:

Great news to hear that Will and Grace are returning. The cast were such good actors. Pity that Debbie Renolds has died as she played Grace’s mother so well. But I have no doubt with the same writers and actors it will be excellent.