This Is Us Renewed

This Is Us Renewed for Seasons 2 and 3

This is… a significant pickup: NBC has renewed This Is Us for a second and third season, NBC announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. Each season will consist of 18 episodes.

RELATED 2017 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The freshman family drama was an out-of-the-gate smash for the network, commercially and critically. Just days after premiering to 10.1 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating — the fall’s top-rated series launch — This Is Us received a full, 18-episode order for its freshman run. To date, it has averaged 9.6 million weekly viewers and a 2.6 rating, steadily dominating Tuesday nights in both measures. The Dan Fogelman drama also landed on a slew of Top 10 lists (TVLine’s included), and scored three Golden Globe nominations.

This Is Us also stands as TV’s No. 2-rated drama overall, trailing only Fox’s Empire.

“We all got our wish that this is a hit show,” said Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment, in a statement. “This Is Us is as good as anything we’ve ever had, we’re thrilled to renew it for two seasons and there’s no doubt it will have a long life on NBC. On behalf of everyone at NBC, we’re grateful for the artistry of the cast, crew, and producers assembled by our gifted creator, Dan Fogelman. In a world where there are literally hundreds of television dramas, we’re proud to have one of the very best that is also one of the highest-rated.”

1. Shib Neddeff says:

This is Us is not a good show “tried” to watch 3 different times we had to switch were really bored

• Katie says:

I think there are a lot of people who would disagree with you on this… sure, it’s not a show with a lot of “action”, it’s a character-based show and that’s not everyone’s cup of tea. That doesn’t make it a bad show. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it, simple as that.

• Alex Thomas says:

You are one of the only ones who think so…and I did say one of. I know there might be more, but people who enjoy this show outweigh the people who don’t

• Fan says:

Definitely disagree

• mary says:

Ok-not caring for a show is one thing. The show not being good is not based on your opinion. I didn’t like The Sopranos, but I know it was considered a great show.

• Ken says:

I agree. I tried watching and it seems very bland and dull. I couldn’t understand what was so special about it as it was ultimately boring. But to each their own so I’m happy for the fans that they get two more seasons.

• Katrinka says:

You “tried” the show & didn’t enjoy it – that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good show. There are no shows in the history of TV that were thought to be “good” by 100% of the viewers. That’s why there are 8 million channels & various platforms to watch whatever you personally like.

• badgerly says:

This is Us is about real-life stuff that happens to real people. I think it’s great !! People who don’t like it just have short attention-spans.

• Gloria says:

Just because you don’t enjoy it doesn’t mean it’s a bad show. Apparently many, many people disagree with you. Differen’t strokes, as they say. Personally, I am very happy with this character driven drama, with some humor thrown in. Stoked that it’s been renewed for 2 MORE seasons!

• ninergrl6 says:

I quit after four or five episodes. I felt like I was *supposed* to love it but I just didn’t. I guess I just don’t enjoy “real” shows. Give me Timeless or Supernatural any day.

• Carm says:

I love it.

• Supermanuel says:

It IS a good show. You don’t have o like it but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good show.

• Karin L Blow says:

Your crazy! the show is so awesome!

2. flowerduh@gmail.com says:

Like there was any doubt!

• S-E says:

So refreshing to see a show like this more to real life than the many superhero or gory ones they have in abundance now. Also goes for the many many comedy shows

3. Brian says:

This show is really good. Finally gave it a try and loved it.

4. notpercysowner says:

Great news. I hope it can avoid the dreaded sophomore slump and keep the quality up.

5. Kevin says:

This news makes me happy. Two more seasons of This Is Us is really something. Don’t know what NBC is going to do with two of its breakout shows in Timeless and The Good Place.

6. Haz says:

I understand a 2nd season, but shouldn’t they have waited before a third? What if this show goes the route of Unreal? Comedies I can understand getting multiple season pickups but not dramas too much can happen.

• Brian says:

Even if there’s a ridiculous drop in quality it would take a lot for the show to drop in the ratings to the low 1s in the demos a lot of NBC’s other dramas get.

• Katherine215 says:

I don’t know, didn’t Revolution fall super fast in its second season? I loved that show and I thought it’s ratings fell pretty quickly in the 2nd season with the timeslot move. I didn’t watch it, but Glee is another one that comes to mind.
        I like This Is Us but I never understand networks renewing for 2 seasons. Leave yourself some flexibility, people!

• notpercysowner says:

Revolution fell fast in its second season because it moved away from The Voice. This Is Us is building on the ratings for TV and does great even without TV as a lead in. It’s a real hit as opposed to being propped up by TV.

7. MMD says:

Yes!!! Truly a really good show and deserves this renewal.

8. TV Gord says:

History has shown shows get complacent/lazy when they’re picked up for more than one season at a time. The Big Bang Theory is one of the more recent examples, but it dates back to two of my favorite shows, Roseanne and The Drew Carey Show. Great shows for most of their run, but almost unwatchable after they were renewed for two seasons. I wish the networks would realize this.

9. Pamela says:

I’m glad for them and I do enjoy this show, however I enjoyed parenthood a lot more.

• Cas says:

Really? I like this more. But I just watched Parenthood. So maybe because I had watched this first. Haha. I liked Parenthood and the cast but I Love this cast.

• mary says:

I don’t understand people who compare the two. They both deal with families….that’s it. The style of storytelling is completely different. I loved Parenthood, but I love this too.

• I enjoy This is us and am glad it got renewed. I do wonder how this show will continue to a third season. We shall see.

10. Andrew Hass says:

Well i don’t think was a big surprise.Plus This Is Us been renewed for two more seasons gives the show’s producers time to really dig deep and not worry about cancellation

11. Sherry says:

This is Us getting a Season 2 was a no-brainer. But they might regret that Season 3 renewel. I was a big fan of the show for the first few episodes; but I’m already starting to lose interest. I noticed other people have said they are as well. When the ratings do start to finally drop, I have a feeling they will drop hard in a short amount of time.

12. Dee says:

I’m so thrilled to hear this. And I’m glad they kept them as 18 episodes so each season can just be crafted out

13. herman1959 says:

Great! Hopefully, the 2-season pickup will help them retain the entire casts because the busier actors will work in other roles around this show’s production schedule (similar to Viola Davis in How To Get Away With Murder).

14. YestoKylie says:

Incredible news…I hope the show stays grounded…and doesn’t feel the need to go bigger and bolder in season 2 just to keep the audience. It’s a success because of its’ down to earth nature & how it connects to viewers in a very real way.

15. Lola says:

Nice. But how long will Jack(Milo) be around with his inevitable death? Flashbacks only work for so long with any show. My only gripe with the show thus far is the need to axe Jack in the present. Boo.

• herman1959 says:

There has been no indication of what point (in the timeline) Jack died, so there is no reason that he has to be killed sooner rather later…problem solved.

• Danny says:

We know Jack is alive when the kids were in high school because of the boys’ fight during football game. When Kevin was consoling the widow at the funeral that he and Olivia crashed, there was some mention of the 15-year old boy losing his father. Kevin said he could relate, so I assumed that the kids were in their late teens when Jack died.

• Lola says:

I thought viewers were guessing Jack died when the kids were like 15 or am I imagining this?

• Ian says:

My thought too. The fact we found out Jack is indeed dead in the present was a huge turnoff for me on the entire show, mainly because his and Mandy’s chemistry is so wonderful. And what about her singing? I’d rather they stayed in the past and make it period!
      They’ll have to find ways to keep the show interesting and good without it turning into a soap opera.

• mary says:

Well they just went back to right before the triplets. There’s his whole life before that they can do. Plus about ten years or so in between what we’ve seen & his death.

16. Cas says:

I am just excited Justin Hartley finally is on my TV and in primetime (by finally I asp mean steadily).

17. It’s hard to keep character based shows feeling fresh and so it will be interesting to see the quality and ratings both next season and then by season 3. NBC can technically always backtrack on season 3 if it totally tanked next year (see the many shows that were renewed for another season prior to their premieres and then bombed and weren’t renewed), although they would probably still give a season 3 to try and “fix” it. I like the show and think the time aspect of it gives it a little more story telling opportunities than other “character based” shows, so we’ll see what happens…

18. Sabrina says:

Great news. I hope that the show continues to be well written. I also hope that the storyline for the character of Kevin improves as that is often for me the most boring part of the show.

• herman1959 says:

I know, the whole play storyline is boring, but I think it was a way to get all 3 siblings in the same place (NYC area). We’ll see how it goes.

19. Janice Lange says:

I love this show!

20. Lawrence Coen says:

The show is SO artificial, not realistic. It would have been more of a rarity for a couple to have adopted a black kid at that time. Shouldn’t the baby have been turned over to Child Services? It seems as if they practically walked out of the hospital with all three babies. Then, the creators throw in the fat girl with her issues. Let’s get that demographic, too. Let’s cover another base by having the black man’s birth father suddenly show up. Give him cancer because health/insurance issues are big news. Have him be gay, too, but the love of his life should be white. Don’t omit the senior citizens. The doctor has lost his wife and has difficulty moving on. So, they’ve targeted: young marrieds; adoption; inter-racial families; gays; inter-racial love; the sick and dying; seniors; the obese. Surely, if a person tunes in, he will be able to find the group with which he can identify. They’ve thrown in everything but the kitchen sink. What’s next? Transgender? Assisted suicide? Abortion? Bankruptcy? Birth defects? Selling Avon door-to-door?

• Esteban says:

so much unchecked idiocy from this multi=phobic cracker, i don’t know where to start. anyone else want to go first lol

• herman1959 says:

Wow, evidently you have a problem with diversity. Don’t force yourself to watch.

• Jamie says:

Lmao, you’re salty because everyone isn’t straight, white, and biologically related? Grow up hahaha

• Laurie says:

I like the show but am getting more disillusioned for some of the reasons you mentioned. Sick of being lectured about how bad the black guy had it because of prejudice. Also, Sterling Brown plays all his roles the same. Amy Wives which he was in he was the same stare you down person with little expression. Sick of the queer father who naturally has a white partner, oh joy, of course because every other person on tv is homosexual, then the constant obesity story–I like Kate and they need to do more with the character than that. I am waiting for the abortion story and then will tune out. Gosh I love The Middle for its just great acting and stories.

• Carlos says:

You sound like such an enlightened, open minded person…Not!

• Hannah says:

It takes a pretty ignorant person to think that someone simply talking about the crappy things that have happened in their life is somehow lecturing you.
        And I just looked it up – less than 5% of regular characters on TV are LGBTQ. I’m not quite sure how 5% equals “every other person on TV”, but your bigotry is showing.

• dean says:

WILLIAM ISN’T HOMOSEXUAL!

Why are you whining about the show if you haven’t even paid enough attention to understand that?

• Danny says:

The babies were born in 1986. Not exactly the dark ages in terms of bi-racial families and adoptions.

• fiberlicious says:

“It would have been more of a rarity for a couple to have adopted a black kid at that time”

Actually, not so. There was a big drive in the early 60s for white families to adopt black kids. I knew two couples who did. The plan was a dismal failure, BTW – the adopted kids struggled with having a leg in each of two different worlds. It was sad to see such good intentions fail to meet the optimism.

• parstl says:

Even though they have not explored it much I did appreciate the couple of episodes where Mandy Moore’s character realized that her African-American adopted son needed to be around main stream middle and upper middleclass African-Americans to get his sense of identity because he would face a totally different reality as an adult regardless of how educated or successful he is in his career. On a different front, I’m all for LBTG rights and have marched for them as a straight man but I was disappointed that the writers decided to write the black father as bisexual. It was unnecessary and doesn’t contribute to the plot. Supergirl is now doing the same thing with Supergirls sister and it just comes off as contrived. Every show does not need to cover every demographic group (where were the central black characters in Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends etc?).

• dean says:

WILLIAM ISN’T GAY!

21. Douglas from Brazil says:

We need more families driven dramas. Look at ABC with their family driven comedies.

22. Joey Padron says:

So happy about the news! Thank you NBC! Glad they will stay at 18 episodes for both seasons.

23. dan the critic says:

This Is Us is one of the best new shows this year along with Timeless and Emerald City, and they are all on NBC, so I hope the other 2 get renewed too.

24. KLS says:

I wonder if this was a play to lockdown Dan Fogelman? What does this mean for Pitch?

25. Jj says:

Damn! Guess Justin Harley is never coming back to Y&R……..
    Oh well, good for them!!!

26. chadcronin says:

This show works because there isn’t enough regular family shows that are focused on our everyday lives and what we go through. I hope more like this follow.

27. fiberlicious says:

The only thing I don’t like about the show is that Jack is TOO good. No parent/spouse says exactly the right thing every time he opens his mouth! That said, this show is one of my faves and I’m glad to see this.

28. Teresa says:

This is Us is the only show I watch live, the rest I watch from DVR. Just love the emotional roller coaster I get watching this show. ❤❤❤❤❤

29. kiks says:

Wonderful news! The show fills the void of shows such as Parenthood, Brothers & Sisters and Friday Night Lights were the concepts of good values and family are put to the highest regard. We need more television like this in the mainstream (even if ratings are hard to come by). It is such a relief that This is Us is getting great ratings for it to stick around for a while…

30. Z says:

The Drama series of the year! An unique and character driven series!

31. queensgirl says:

This is (fabulo)Us.

32. Dannie C says:

Congratulations This Is Us Cast & Crew Super excited to see more of the Pearson in the Present,Future & Past

33. Marianne Burrows says:

I absolutely love this show. Great writing, acting, & presentation. Finally, an intelligent show that’s succeeding.

34. parstl says:

I think it’s an excellent character driven drama which is good for tv overall…Id take it over another reality show. I also like the superhero and action shows which also provide variety for whatever suits you on a particular day. I can see where many into the tweet/immediate stimulation culture wouldn’t be satisfied, but that’s ok.

35. Pat says:

I hope “This Is Us” is going to be an anthology-type of series, with a completely new cast & characters next season. That would work for me. Already, I’m yawning here!

36. Susie Smith says:

This is Us is the best TV show I have seen ever! It is so realistic and touching. I am on the edge of my seat weekly and cannot wait for the next episode. I love how it is now expanding to other characters; brilliant!

37. Linda Maurer says:

I’ve liked the show from the beginning.
    You had to pay attention,to make sure you know what’s going on.
    I’m thrilled that it’s coming back!
    Great actors,and actresses.😄

38. queenbrat says:

I am so happy I love this show. It hinges on being engrossed in the characters and it delivers. The acting is great. It is really a standout show imo.

39. It’s an amazing show. One of the best show in years!

40. Leanne says:

great show. Deals with real issues some families deal with daily. Never miss it. Glad its on for 2 more seasons. Great cast, especially the brothers/sisters

41. Supermanuel says:

Brilliant show. We’ve really got into it. Very clever character development and mature storytelling.

42. Taylor Berry says:

This Is Us is a great show because it’s really good people to see and it’s very loving and beautiful for all the people to watch and see and it has a good cast like Mandy Moore, Milo Ventigmilia, Justin Hartley, Christy Metz, and that’s all i’m gotta say about it.

43. Dina says:

I absolutely love this show!!!

• Leanne says:

great news.. Something besides hospital/cop shows even tho I love those shows. I just like variety and this is a great show

44. Tina Grant says:

Best show ever!

45. newsdee says:

This is one of the BEST shows ever! I have been emailing and calling friends to tell them to watch this show. It’s intelligent TV!

46. Charmaine Johnson says:

I have come to hate television, but I’ve actually fell in love with this show. The story line is just great. Can’t wait for season 2

47. french sassy says:

Love this is us , it’s the more realistic show out there is, just love it ❤

48. SUSAN CONNOLLY says:

This is the best show I have seen in a long time. I hope it lasts for many years

49. Sandy Hughes says:

Love, love, love this emotional family , it has a way of convincing us to Love the characters. Thank you for continuing this great show

50. Yeah, you’re in the minority in that opinion. But, of course, we’re all allowed to have our own opinions. I personally, LOVE This is Us. It’s well acted and not over the top dramatic as I had been expecting. And being that I’m an adopted Asian in a white family, it really speaks to me on so many levels.