Star Trek: Discovery Gets Delayed Again by CBS, No Premiere Date Set

Star Trek: Discovery is going to be stuck in the docking bay for a little longer.

The new Trek TV show won’t premiere in May as previously announced, EW.com reports. This is the second time the CBS All Access series has been delayed; it was originally slated to debut in February 2017, then got pushed back to May. Now the show doesn’t have a premiere date at all.

Discovery‘s voyage to TV has been bumpy already: Original showrunner Bryan Fuller stepped down in October, replaced by Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg. Fuller now says he won’t be involved in Discovery at all, beyond writing the pilot. The show has announced some key casting, though, including The Walking Dead‘s Sonequa Martin-Green as the lead character.

CBS won’t confirm that Discovery‘s premiere date has changed, but released a statement:

Production on Star Trek: Discovery begins next week.  We love the cast, the scripts and are excited about the world the producers have created.  This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it’s best for the show.  We’ve said from the beginning it’s more important to do this right than to do it fast.   There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn’t beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows.

Trek fans: Are you starting to get impatient with Discovery‘s delays? Beam down to the comments and share your thoughts.

1. Kyle says:

This is starting to smell of disaster, although to be fair that’s what everyone said with all of the Westworld delays and it turned out wonderfully.

• Haz says:

The difference with Westworld is HBO. CBS All Access hasn’t been proven successful yet while HBO has how many subscribers? That test will come when The Good Fight airs, because haven’t they already aired a BB season on All Access that didn’t get much coverage? I know Discovery has deal in place with Netflix for international viewers but still if All Access is a flop stateside it defeats the whole purpose of the service. I haven’t tried All Access since it went commercial free, however when I used the service last year it was a nightmare. It constantly kept buffering and after commercial breaks it would skip ahead and I would miss parts of the show I was watching. Also in terms of older content there was not much offered, it was all really dedicated to current shows.

• Jj says:

All access was still a nightmare as of a month ago when I canceled. Constant buffering (not an issue with Hulu or Netflix) and a ridiculous number of commercials for a paid service.

• LK says:

I watched the Big Brother season that aired on All Access and enjoyed it… allowed much more access than a normal season.

2. auntiemm says:

Stick a fork in this. I was so excited when it was first announced; but, with all the delays, I no longer care.

3. Eran says:

I am probably grasping at straws here but I would really like to believe this is a delay in order to allow them to get Bryan Fuller back on board once he’s completed his American Gods commitments. But like I said, not holding my breath…

4. ew says:

No worries on the delay as long as the quality is good.

5. Just give up on it already.

6. Serviver says:

If they kill off SMG on The Walking Dead just so she can make this show, and it winds up delayed indefinitely or cancelled outright, I’m going to be livid. She’s one of my favourite characters.

I was really looking forward to Discovery.

7. N says:

A lot of shows go through these kind of delays, and it may end up benefiting the show and this will hopefully turn out to be great. The big problem is that CBS is asking us to pay like 6.99 a month to watch this on CBS All Access. The more problems we perceive the less likely people are to want to pay to see this, and CBS needs this to be an instant hit. If this show doesn’t perform well for All Access it wont be around that long.CBS needs to start creating serious good buzz around this, or not a lot of people will want to be the All Access fee to watch it.

8. Well, I hope they’ve listened to the opinions of people posting to these sites. I for one don’t want to see some millenial sex show/soap opera/gay agenda documentary. I think that what they need is some interaction with REAL TREK fans being involved in making the show and not some snowflake showbiz flash in the pan.

9. Tom says:

Oh for frak’s sake.

While we’re at it, have they redesigned the ship?

• PonderStibbons says:

Yes. The nacelles are in front of the saucer, the bridge is on the bottom, and everyone is going to be walking backwards along the ceiling.

10. Joey says:

When Bryan Fuller was announced as showrunner, I think most of us knew this show would either not happen or be canceled fairly quick after premiering. Being on an expensive, crappy streaming service wouldn’t have helped either. When he left things at least looked up in regard to the shows chances of airing. Now that it’s delayed again, I find it hard to see this happening at all. If the All Access Good Wife spinoff bombs, I wouldn’t be surprised if CBS shuts down production on this if there’s still time. If it’s too late and most of it is filmed I can see them selling it off to another service.

11. George says:

This has dumpster fire written all over it, I’m afraid.

12. John Stith says:

This is maddening. I’ve been watching Star Trek my entirely life (over 40) and this is the longest there’s been no content since the original series ended. These folks at CBS better get their act together.

13. Steven says:

Calling it now, it won’t air.

14. nixfu says:

They probably need to add in more overt homosexuality, and transgender scenes, along with inserting as many left wing anti-trump comments, and anti-gun story lines as they possibly can.

15. ToyCannon says:

Looks like I won’t be signing up for CBS All Access any time soon.

16. W Strong says:

From what I’ve read, production was almost entirely financed by Netflix, which has the international content rights to stream. I would expect this will lead to a quality show, taking it easy to do it right is never a bad thing. There were probably countless time this happened in the past without us knowing. Keep in mind star trek tmp was an amalgamation of what were supposed to be episodes for a second show, and that turned out sooo great (sarcasm). Casting is going really well and I think there is a lot to look forward to, especially if it offends bigots and pushes them out of trek fandom. As far as I am concerned, they should be sold to Mudd and be abandoned on some other random desolate planet, like I’d Mars, without oxygen. There is no space for bigotry in Trek! And if you are offended by that you are a snowflake ;)

17. Tom says:

…and the universe yawned. 😴

18. MLD says:

Grinning with pleasure at anything that makes CBS Access fail so that they put this and The Good Fight on regular CBS for free. Now having only 10 episodes of The Good Fight to entirely support this rip-off channel plus reruns of CBS shows makes $6.99 a month not seem like much of a value.

19. Kevin Bozeman says:

Take your time get it right us trekkies can wait for something good

20. George Sullivan says:

Well, I live in the country and can’t get internet service fast enough to stream without paying out the nose for satellite. This CBS all access is just a slap in the face to those of use who farm and provide the bread and butter on the table of everyone else. I wonder if a class action law suite should be brought against a company that advertises content on broadcast TV, but then only allows those who pay more $$ and have fast internet access to watch the actual programs. This isn’t fair to most of us out here in the country.! CBS you should be ashamed.!!!!!!!

21. Teresa Dent says:

The Star Trek fans have been so loyal. Please don’t let money , ego, and power get in the way of it’s success. The world is a tough place to be. Star Trek takes us to a place if only temporarily to make our lives just a little better. So think of the millions who need that mi it’s escape.

22. Capt. Edward J. Holmes II says:

The hell is going on

23. Stephan says:

Can you should release it to Netflix to show the whole series .