Exclusive
Criminal Minds Reid Spoilers

Criminal Minds First Look: Jane Lynch Returns for 'Intense' Reid Storyline

When CBS’ Criminal Minds resumes Season 12 on Wednesday, Feb. 1, a familiar face will at long last resurface — Jane Lynch, playing Spencer Reid’s mother Diana, as seen in this exclusive first photo.

The first of Lynch’s multiple upcoming appearances “kind of resets for us where Reid (Matthew Gray Gubler) is with is with his mom and her struggle,” showrunner Erica Messer tells TVLine. (After being admitted to a groundbreaking Alzheimer’s treatment study, Diana was recently found wandering in a Vegas casino, having been dropped from the program due to budget cuts.)

Before making her second on-camera encore, in Episode 20, Lynch’s Diana will play a role in the Reid-centric Episode 13, which was co-written by Messer and cast member Kirsten Vangsness (who recently told us the hour was a “course changer” for the BAU’s resident genius).

Having previously collaborated on the episodes that killed off former BAU agent Jason Gideon and paved the way for Derek Morgan’s exit, Messer affirms, “It turns out [Kirsten] and I go big. It is absolutely a change of course [for Reid] — a journey, for him and for the team, that I would argue we never even imagined would happen. And yet it happens, and we’re along for this ride. And it’s an intense one.”

Want more scoop on Criminal Minds, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Natalie says:

cryptic, cryptic..hahahah..ugh..Hate it when they tease like this They better NOT get rid of Spencer. But the cast is really HUGE now.

2. Maddy says:

Please don’t kill off Reid’s mom. He’s already lost too many people in is life.

3. Steven says:

I just hope he isn’t leaving. I’m still hoping JJ will get a divorce and her and Reid and finally become a couple. Leave me alone, I hold onto my ships.

4. v says:

they can’t get rid of Spencer. He’s the heart of the show in my eyes. I’m thinking either his mom dies or she asks him to help end her life.

5. Autumn says:

This looks really good. I’m excited to see what they have up their sleeves for Spencer and his Mom.

6. Cam Monge says:

I’m thinking transgender Reid…BAU’s new “baby girl”

7. Linda9218 says:

I’ve always enjoyed the storylines with Reid’s mother. They are always heart wrenching. I also wish they would stop referring to Spencer as ‘kid’ He has celebrated his 30th birthday on the show. Write in another girlfriend as well. Maeve should not be the only love interest for his character.

8. He better not get murdered or leave the series. I didn’t care about Hotch or Morgan leaving, although I wouldn’t mind seeing Morgan from time to time. But I would definitely stop watching if MGG left the series.
    I would love it if: he and Emily got together (my favorite ship) or if Will left JJ (never liked him anyway,) and JJ/Reid become a couple.
    We have scenes from future episodes where Reid is in prison/jail. That means he did something illegal or someone (like Scratch) set him up. The next series of episodes are going to be so good. Can’t wait for more to come

• I haven’t seen those scenes yet. Interesting… but I wouldn’t put it past Scratch to set Reid up for something he wouldn’t even do. Where did you find or see these scenes?

• June Forbes says:

Love Criminal Minds!! I do miss Morgan and I like JJ’s hubby although I haven’t seen him in a while (where is he?). I read somewhere Hotch may return – I hope so and I hope he gets his act together. Looking forward to the new season.

• Angela says:

I’ve seen people share them via Tumblr links, so if you’re on Tumblr you can probably search for them there. Or Google will probably pull them up as well.
        I’m definitely very curious about THAT storyline, too. I’m thinking it’s either a setup by Mr. Scratch or Reid’s gotta do some big undercover thing or something. But knowing now that his mom’s going to be in another episode beyond the one where he’ll be in prison, I wonder if it won’t have some tie-in to that somehow, too.

• MARNIE says:

Yes I could watch without the others. I will not watch if there is no Spencer.

9. Angela says:

Well, if this photo’s anything to go by, it looks like she might have a role in helping Reid with some case in that episode, which I would much prefer to the idea of Diana being sick and dying somehow.
    I’m very interested in this upcoming episode/storyline with Diana, but I’m so nervous, too. I really hope the show lets her make it through this arc all right. Reid’s relationship with his mom is so lovely and touching-it’d be so tough to see him lose her.

10. FWIW, MGG commented on Twitter today talking about how crazy “episodes 13-22” are going to be. 22 is the last episode of the season, and I doubt he’d specifically name all those episodes if he weren’t going to be in them. So I’m reasonably confident he’s not going anywhere.

…But man, I have NO IDEA what any of this means and I’m not quite sure I’m going to survive until two weeks from now, much less through an entire half season of whatever we have coming up.

11. Renee says:

They can’t get rid of Spencer. If they cut him out of the show I know several people, including myself, that wont watch CM anymore. They already took Morgan off which was a crazy move.

12. Sue says:

Spencer is my favorite character, so I’m excited about this possible “course changer” for Reid. I hope it does not turn out to be a disappointment after all of the big build-up. I’ve been waiting for a huge story for Spencer for a long time.

Somebody posted that there are pictures from future episodes showing Reid in prison or jail. Has anybody else seen these? I’d like to look them up but don’t know exactly how to do the search for them. I’d like to know more about the pics if anybody is willing to share!

• Sue says:

I’ve since learned that Spencer will likely end up behind bars in Mexico. I still haven’t seen the pictures others referred to. I’m guessing based on tonight’s episode that Reid tries to obtain medication to help his mother and something goes wrong resulting in his arrest. But I have no actual source that this is going to happen. It’s just speculation on my part.