Agents of SHIELD Recap

S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Patriot's Game

As part of TVLine’s midseason preview spectacular, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Jason O’Mara said we would be learning about the origin of Director Mace’s powers— to which some said, “Well, duh, he’s an Inhuman.”

Well, guess again.

This Tuesday’s episode of the ABC drama, though, indeed shed light on Jeffrey’s backstory, and exactly how it is (and isn’t) that he “powers” up.

The first big clue comes at a public ceremony where Director Mace is formally welcoming Daisy aka Quake back into S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ranks, and giving her due credit for all those times it was believed she was causing, not resolving, problems. Amid receiving awkard hugs from survivors’ families, Daisy notices in the nick of time a sniper taking aim at the stage. Mace hurls a podium peppered with explosive bullets safely into the sky, before being ushered away by his right hand man Bronson Burrows, who totes around a conspicuous briefcase.

Whisked away to a Quinjet, per emergency protocol, Mace is alarmed when the side of the vessel is blown open mid-flight, and Burrows tumbles out, briefcase in hand. After crash landing with Coulson and Mack, Mace makes clear that Priority 1 is finding Burrows. Soon enough, the gents track down Burrows, just as he is about to be executed by some Hydra castoffs, the hand with which he holds the briefcase lopped off. Coulson and Mack coordinate an assault, assuming that Mace can more than hold his own. The Director, though, makes a mad dash after grabbing the briefcase, only to see its contents shattered by a baddie’s bullets after he unlocks it. Mace also takes a bullet to the bum before Coulson and Mack save the rest of his average bacon, and then discover that he is not Inhuman after all, but gets his powers from a super-serum.

Simultaneous with Coulson and Mack’s discovery, Simmons also gets the 411 on the Director, courtesy of General Talbot, who explains that the Patriot juice was derived from that which gave Daisy’s father his own powers (minus all the “bad” stuff, that is). Talbot says the dictate was to appoint an Inhuman to S.H.I.E.L.D.’s top spot, but when none qualified, they created one of their own.

After he and Mack fend off another wave of goons — with a big assist from Daisy and LMD May — Coulson also learns from Mace the actual nature of his big “hero” moment, how he was actually snapped tripping on top of a woman, not shielding her with his body. Mace is poised to resign as Director, but Coulson counters that S.H.I.E.L.D. needs an “Inhuman” face, to best oppose Senator Nadeer and her Watchdogs. From here on, however, Coulson is calling the shots on all missions.

Elsewhere in the episode:MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

* Radcliffe worried to Aida 2 that, with him banned from the base for now, LMD May could be discovered. And as a matter of fact, coming off the aforementioned rescue mission, LMD May is now hiding a nasty gash on her shoulder blade that reveals her android endoskeleton. The real May, meanwhile, has a violent reaction to the “spa day” existence her mind was tricked into, because, Radcliffe surmises, May thrives more from conflict and adrenaline versus tranquility. (Now you can say, “Well, duh.”)

* Jemma and Fitz debated some more about him keeping the Aida secret — especially when he suggested they could benefit from powering up the android’s severed head and study it. Jemma nixes the notion, but as seen in one of the final moments, Fitz is forging “a-head” in secret, having downloaded Aida’s data banks into his handheld.

What did you think of the episode “The Patriot”?

1. Mary says:

It was a great idea for Simmons to use Aida’s head to unnerve the guy they couldn’t get to answer their questions. They should have thought of that sooner.

2. laurelnev says:

What I love is that May herself knows something is “off,” despite Radcliffe stressing that the diff between Aida and May is that Aida KNOWS she’s a bot–Maybot lacks that awareness, although the aforementioned gash may be changing all of that. ;) And I am SO SURPRISED there were no Cap references with that serum–like “We took Daisy’s dad’s formula and kind of Captain Americaed it, removing the Winter Soldier aspects, of course.” (Especially in light of Coulson’s holographic, Cap like SHIELD, which is way cool.) Mace never felt badass enough to have powers like that anyway, so I’m not all that surprised by the reveal. And itt was a great way to get Coulson back while still maintaining the public facade. This show has really grown into being one of the best around. I do so hope it’s not replaced by something that will do worse and get canceled immediately, like this new Inhumans show they’re proposing. I ilke the Inhumans show we have right now, and especially the non-inhuman characters.

3. Al says:

Pretty sure the il-fated right hand man was named Burows? RIP Agent Burrows, u were entertaining enough as a red shirt

• laurelnev says:

LOL…I knew Matt got the name wrong, but I was too lazy to rewind a half hour to check. ;) And all I could remember is that it was a B name. Bronson is SO MUCH more “Manly” though…maybe it was an intentional slip in homage to the actor. ;)

(In Matt’s defense, I used to recap “The Event.” We’d live chat during the ep, and so I had a newly introduced character in my notes as “Roger Bart,” and referred to him as such in the recap. We all LOLed pretty hard about my using the ACTOR”S name in the recap, rather than the character’s. If I wrote this recap, I’d have just called him “Briefcase Dude. They should have had him in a red shirt.)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oops! Funny thing is I almost double-checked, but the SHIELD screeners are triple-encrypted and take a small eternity to cue up. And I am a lazy boy.

4. laurelnev says:

Came back because I forgot I wanted to mention this in regards to the whole Mace thing:

Has everyone really just forgotten about Fury? How could Coulson EVER knowingly turn the reins over to ANYONE without Fury’s okay? Now we know that May has been keeping tabs on Phil for Fury all along, and we remember the huge crater that put in their friendship, but no one has even whispered his name since the whole Ultron fallout. And I can’t see Fury EVER going along with that stunt casting of the Director. In fact, that is most certainly something that would make him break silence and reach out to someone, most likely May on that secret, encrypted line. And when Aida surfaced? Well, you’d think Fury would at least send a Koenig…

Thoughts? (Anyone…anyone…Bueller?)

• PatriciaLee says:

Well, I just caught the last 15 minutes of the episode, not having seen the series, before. I’m hooked! And I’m going to be watching the series, from now on. Fury seemed like a whatever gets the job done type guy (old comic book and recent movie memories here). Carlson getting to control operations and leave the boring catering to power people to O’Mara’s character seems like a win win. I’ve been a fan of everything O’Mara’s done, so it looks like a very fun combination, here. I hope he stays on the show (and does TV movies of Complications and Vegas).

5. Kim says:

Fantastic episode. Fantastic season. It’s nice to see tvline giving this show some love again. It deserves it.

6. Cynthia says:

Forged a-head…. hahaha! Love it! I have watched and enjoyed AoS since episode 1. Still miss Ward but wow! This season has been really great :0)

• Heather Long says:

I miss Ward and Lincoln. I always hoped they’d find a way to redeem Ward, but alas I think that’s one of the reasons I love SHIELD, they don’t shy away from the hard path.

7. Luis Roman says:

An excellent season so far.