Scorpion Waige Spoilers

Scorpion's Katharine McPhee Talks Paige's Frustrations, Walter's 'ILY' and 'Sweet Bond' With Grifter Mom

For Scorpion‘s Katharine McPhee, getting Lea Thompson for a TV mom almost seemed to be her density.

Er, destiny.

“I was at a good friend’s wedding where I met Zoey Deutch (Switched at Birth, Ringer), and I knew that Lea was her mom. We kind of hung out, and three months later Lea comes on my show,” McPhee recounts for TVLine. “I was like, ‘I met your daughter before!’ And then I found out Lea lives not too far from me.”

The Back to the Future icon’s November debut as Veronica Dineen — great grifter, mediocre mom — marked the latest wrinkle in what McPhee affectionately calls “Paige’s Whiny Season.” As the actress/singer notes, “Paige has been really frustrated with Walter, she’s really frustrated when her Mom gets in…. ScorpionYou get to really see a more agitated side of her.”

With regards to Veronica — who in tonight’s episode (CBS, 10/9c) uses her particular set of skills to help Team Scorpion with a counterfeit money crisis that could collapse the U.S. economy — McPhee notes, “For Paige’s whole life, her mom has been on the run. All Paige ever wanted was to have a stable mother, and once she comes back, all she ever does is cause problems.”

That said, upcoming events could pave the way for a reconciliation. Of sorts. “Paige goes through a process of really struggling with getting closer to her mother. But by the end [of Thompson’s current run] there’s a really sweet bond that gets created between the two of them, one that sort of mends some of the past.”

Speaking of unresolved matters, we had to relay to McPhee a reader’s question, about whether Walter (played by Elyes Gabel) will remember the “I love you” he let slip with during his “outer space” hallucination. Scorpion“We still have quite a few more episodes to shoot. And thus far, there have been little things he has remembered, but they sort of stopped revisiting that,” she answers. “I know they’ll go back to it, though.”

Walter’s ILY of course came in the midst of the caper drama’s latest romantic triangle, one which McPhee notes was innovatively more about the dynamic between the two fellas, Walter and former Homeland agent Tim Armstrong, than Paige’s relationship with either of them.

“I liked it, because the writers are really clever about bringing in new characters and utilizing them for a specific amount of time and getting what we need out of them. Without feeling too contrived,” she says. “I think Scott [Porter, as Tim] did an amazing job playing the conflict. Because really, there was more conflict between the two of them. Paige was part of the triangle, but it was really more about her frustration with how Walter behaved. She was more of an observer, seeing Walter in a different light — and being disappointed.”

Between matters of a mother and the assorted romantic entanglements, plus the ever-endearing dynamic with son Ralph, McPhee could not be more pleased with Paige’s evolution over two-and-a-half seasons, and counting. In fact, has she ever cued up the series pilot, PILOT Scorpionjust to remember her character’s mild-mannered beginnings?

“It’s funny you ask that, because I’ve been wanting to go back and watch it,” she says. “Elyes and I were talking about it the other day, how it’s really a different show than the pilot was. We’ve still got the great drama, and the action, but the characters have become more comic book-like. Sylvester and Toby and Happy…. this whole different element has happened, and I really like it.”

Paige herself hasn’t gotten “comic book-y,” McPhee observes, but instead has acquired fun new traits of her own. “The pilot was a bit more serious — Paige had less opportunity to have little kooky moments — but she gets to have quirky moments now, which is really nice.”

Want more scoop on Scorpion, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. KLS says:

McPhee was one of the reasons I couldn’t get through the pilot. Hopefully she’s gotten better since then.

• Katherine215 says:

Her character’s purpose on the show is still murky, since Cabe is a perfectly “normal” person who can “translate” the geniuses. Basically, she’s a love interest/plot device for Walter, and he’s still as obnoxious as ever. I pretty much only watch for the supporting characters.

• Rocky* says:

I feel like they’ve tried to make Walter a little less arrogant and like you say, obnoxious, this season (I really didn’t like him s2) but then they went and turned him into someone who was jealous and petty over Tim and that was just as annoying lol! I do think the writers put too much emphasis on Walter’s emotional development and I’m not sure the audience really cares that much anymore. Imthink the show has always worked best when it focuses on the whole ensemble and not just Walter, like the last episode when Cabe got injured.

• Katherine215 says:

I don’t know, I still found him pretty annoying this year. I just don’t feel like he’s really had any growth or character development. He has feelings for Paige, but he’s still just as incapable of dealing with them as he was in the pilot. I thought we were seeing a little progress by S2’s end, but they undid all that when he pushed her toward Tim.

• Rocky* says:

Oh agree, he’s still annoying this season too, it’s getting old. Paige nailed it last ep when she said its 1 step forwards and a hundred back. I mean in the s2 finale Paige was practically all “give me a reason why I shouldn’t stay here with you” to Walter and he still told her to go. It wasn’t that he didn’t understand what she was saying. In my mind he can’t have it both ways. He can’t push Paige towards Tim and then be an idiot about it when, shock horror, they actually get together. And it’s not fair on Paige either to wait around maybe interminably for Walter to come to terms with his feelings and do something about them.

• Rocky* says:

Walter kind of got a little less obnoxious and arrogant this season (didn’t like him s2) but then the writers went and turned him into someone who was petty and jealous around Tim which wasn’t particularly fun to watch either lol! I think the show has always worked best when it’s focused on the team/ensemble as a whole (because I think it’s a great cast and group of characters) rather than just Walter, and I don’t think people are as invested in Walter’s emotional journey and development as the showpeeps think we are. Or maybe some people are, but I’m tired of it.

2. Rocky* says:

I like Lea as Paige’s mom, she’s really well cast and she brings a good element of fun to the show, so looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes she’s in. That said, I’d hate if Veronica was actually my mom, she’s the worst! Regarding the love triangle, I quite liked Tim, knowing that Waige is obviously still going to be endgame. I get that writers do these things to delay the inevitable so am willing to just ride with it lol. However, I didn’t like that it turned Walter into an immature child in dealing with him. Hopefully he’ll improve now Tim’s gone. Also looking forward to when Walter finally remembers the space hallucination. I hope the writers don’t just ignore that ever happened, like they did with a lot of the Waige moments last season. Also interesting what Kat McPhee was saying about the pilot being a lot different from how the show is now. I’ll definitely have to rewards some time. The plots haven’t got any less ridiculous lol!

3. Rocky* says:

Walter kind of got a little less obnoxious and arrogant this season (

4. JC says:

Kat McPhee needs to just sing in another episode episode already, I don’t care how gimmicky, haha!

5. Anna says:

Everybody is getting tired of Walter and Paige never being able to work things out and be together, just get them together finally!!! It has been so long it’s getting on everobody nervus.
    And then when they’re together the writers finally have more time to focus on the family dynamic of the group instead of Tim and the conflict

• Anna says:

And the most important: nobody likes Walter when he behaves like a jealous brat like with Tim, so even if they can’t be together just yet then stop making him behave like that.

6. Dennis says:

American idol!!!

7. PatriciaLee says:

The husband asked, “I don’t like that Tim character. Do you? I don’t like him being around Paige. Page and Walter, I don’t know why it hasn’t happened, yet.” which got me to thinking I like the actor, but they have to write someone else for him. Page and Walter for funny personal stuff with Gage and Walter for funny work stuff, that’s what we are waiting for.

8. Jim A. says:

To me, “Scorpion” is more of a campy type show than a drama. Some of the acting is horrendous and as others have pointed out, there is really no purpose for Katharine McPhee’s character at all, but for some reason the show works and the most important thing to me is that it’s a show I can watch with my teenage son. Believe it or not there are not too many shows like that these days.
    “Paige” can be a little annoying and half the time I want to hear “Walter” tell her to go back to waitressing, but you have to check reality at the door when watching the show because there is no way Paige would be going on half the adventures the team does.
    Anyway, the show is just harmless campy fun.

• KCC says:

I see this show as a campy fantasy show as well. None of the characters would be in the field doing the work they’re doing. None appear to do, or seem interested in doing any physical training. How Walter does the physical things he does is beyond belief. His upper body strength must be off the charts. It’s one thing knowing when and where to jump to land on a moving train and quite another thing to be physically able to do it. That takes muscle memory built from years of physical training and knowing what your body can and cannot do. I know how to throw a football and how to gauge where the receiver will be at a given point in time, but I’ll never be Aaron Rogers or even the quarterback of my local high school team. To me Paige is basically there so she can ask the team what they’re doing so we, the audience, get to hear about the science behind what’s happening.