Exclusive
game-of-thrones-battle-of-bastards

Game of Thrones: Could Season 8 Consist of More Than 6 Episodes?

HBO has yet to formally renew Game of Thrones for an eighth and final season and now we have some insight into why. The cabler’s programming president Casey Bloys tells TVLine that showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are still deciding how many episodes the farewell season will consist of, which suggests the duo may be rethinking their previously announced six-episode game plan.

“The only thing we’re working out is how many episodes they want to do,” says Bloys. The exec added that he “hopes” Benioff and Weiss will deliver more than six episodes.

“They’re still figuring it out because I think they’re trying to get a shape of the season,” he continues. “They always do what they think [will yield] the best version of the show. It’s all about how many they’re comfortable [with]. But I’ll always take more.”

Bottom line: Once the exact episode count is ironed out, an official Season 8 pickup will follow. In the meantime, Bloys assures us with a laugh, “If you’re afraid we’re not going to do an eighth season, I assure you we’re going to.”

Last April, Benioff and Weiss revealed that the forthcoming seventh season (bowing this summer) would consist of seven episodes and Season 8 would likely feature just six episodes. “I think we’re down to our final 13 episodes,” Benioff said. “We’re heading into the final lap.”

Benioff added at the time that the decision to wind things down is “not just [about] trying not to outstay [our] welcome,” adding, “We’re trying to tell one cohesive story with a beginning, middle and end… We’ve known the end for quite some time and we’re hurtling towards it. Those last images from [the Season 6 finale] showed that. Daenerys is finally coming back to Westeros, Jon Snow is king of the North, and Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne. And we know the Night King is up there, waiting for all of them. The pieces are on the board now… and we are heading toward the endgame.”

What do you think, Thrones fans? Are you hopeful Season 8 will feature more than six episodes? Hit the comments!

1. Dick Whitman says:

I hope they do 8 for my OCD’s sake.

2. 10 episodes would be the BEST. :)))

3. Kate says:

I have always thought that they could technically do eight but the series finale is a two hour movie and like episode two or three is the flashback a lot of fans want to see of basically the Tourney at Harenhall and the events leading up to the rebellion basically to do the Rhaegar and Lyanna story and to answer if Jon is in fact a bastard or not because that is likely when the answer might be relevant. At most they need Bran or Sam as regular cast members but the actor and actress who play young Ned and Lyanna and Howland will be the only familars faces. You would need a whole new cast for young Jamie, Barriston, Benjen, Robert and maybe Tywin though it was kind of the point that he was not there. But maybe just when he was basically fired to play up the whole maybe this was the grand conspiracy to unseat Aerys as the first scene.

• militantgod says:

They probably don’t want to show that because HBO may want to do a one season prequel series on it. They are without a doubt going to do another show that takes place in the Game of Thrones world once it ends. As for Jon being a bastard, they have already basically spelled it out (although I’m sure there is going to a more pronounced reveal later) and HBO actually released a family tree of his lineage.

4. Delfy Hallman says:

Yes please we want more episodes. We are not bored. We want a great ending that only more episodes will help. Good luck and we are waiting.

5. Cindy says:

Absolutely… Just watched this series. In fact binge watched all six seasons in 3 days with my hubby. We couldn’t get enough. Therefore would love as many more episodes as possible. Will be a sad day when it comes to the finale. But until then can’t wait for season 7 to begin.

6. Kevin says:

More than six episodes for the final season should be fine.

7. Brenda Conner says:

Tell the story, it doesn’t matter how many episodes. It shouldn’t be stretched just to say we have ten episodes or leave out stuff just to make it six episodes. Tell a good tight story and we’ll be watching!

8. YestoKylie says:

How about 12!

9. I’m glad HBO have the ‘whatever they are happy with attitude – shows faith in the makers (plus the extra money they make will help lol)

10. Arlene says:

Of course. I just watched the whole thing again, on demand, and it is consistently thrilling, beautifully produced, gorgeous to listen to and watch. I’m still waiting for Martin’s next book, too, wondering how the series may have affected the books.

11. C says:

I hope this isnt an end all for ever..please make 12 eposides and continue to the next season

12. paulahajek says:

Can never get enough of Game of Thrones.Am totally hooked. Having just watched all six seasons am now going to watch them again as well as reading the books
    There can never be enough episodes so bring on season 7 and 8

13. Monica says:

i hope they do 10 episodes it will even it up

14. Diana Coleman says:

Please, more than six episodes in Season 8.

15. Mrs Atchsion says:

I want quality over quantity. If stretching the story is going to water down the episodes then I’ll take the 6 but if the story can go add a few more episodes that will keep us jaw-dropped and eyes glued then go for it.

• LoveMyGoT says:

Based on what we’ve seen of the writing/producing/directing of GoT so far, I can’t imagine B&W ever watering down the story. There’s so much more to tell that even 10 episodes would be leaving out a plethora of fascinating, rich tales. I wouldn’t be concerned at all in that area.

16. Angi says:

The day Game of Thrones ends will be a sad day for me. I love the show so much. I am borderline obsessed with it. I know every line of every aired episode. I can recite along with the show with perfect timing and I watch it from season 1 episode 1 all the way to episode 10 of season 6 then start all over again. I watch at least 4 episodes a day. I have been known to go through a season In a day. I Want More Than 13 more. Please, I am addicted to the show.

17. Gloria Wilkins says:

GOT S8, Do hope to see. If episodes are longer, and finish story. Can deal.
    Addicted and starving for more.Let the games begin. Can review past seasons till then.
    Read books for deeper understanding. The last harpy YouTube are great.

18. Laurie Nagle says:

Oh please give the fans as much as possible. Tell Jon Snow he is loved. The rest of the cast I adore! Great job!!!

19. Charlie says:

Ofcause who wouldn’t, especially when 7 wasn’t as good as the rest has been, us viewer deserve a bonus.

20. jean Nabhan leyva says:

I have thoroughly enjoyed every episode!I don’t like Cersi but enjoy her highs n lows. I was hoping that her sons wife would some how save herself from that explosion! I love Dongley (spelling) the small person, and everything he gets into. I love the kaleesi and her children-the dragons. Hope to see more of them. I sure was sorry when her husband, before the dragons, was killed. He was very interesting to look at. Ramsey was evil personified. I also liked the young girl that tried so hard to get home and all she went thru and of course that tall,strong blond woman that wore the coat of honor n was so loyal. Let me not forget to mention that courages Jon Snow and I also liked his jolly n loyal fellow of the night watch#
    Wish these series would go on for years to come! Super program!!!! What minds!!!!

21. Lorraine says:

I would love to see 8 episodes because 6 would definitely not be enough for me !!!!!!

22. Pamela Hampton says:

I would like more than six episodes. I have been following Game Of Thrones from the very beginning. I have read three of the books so far. I am a serious fan of Game of Thrones.

23. Lindy Yost says:

Please consider making GOT a series show on HBO !!!!Sooo many love it!

24. LoveMyGoT says:

I have complete confidence in Benioff/Weiss’ ability to fill 10 episodes with rich characters and mind-blowing storyline. So yes, I WANT 10 EPISODES!!! i wish they’d take advantage of the extra episodes to flesh out the stories of some characters like Lyanna Mormont; Gendry, the Brotherhood of the B’s; to give us not just closure for the main characters but also for some of the minor characters that many of us are curious about/care about. D&B: that’s what happens when you’re great writers, the fans become attached to people other than the main characters. It’s a testimony to your storytelling. We loyal fans deserve a finale season with 10 episodes.
    Ten episodes would be a wonderful gift from you.

25. Aj colombe says:

Yes I would hope so I’ve been waiting so long for the show to start up again that I would be really disappointed if it’s only 6 Episodes.

26. I Terri l Manard says:

He’ll yeah, bring it on! WE don’t want it to leave so we will take as many as we can get!

27. Lynne Baswell says:

I love game of thrones and to tell u the truth I really do not want it to ever end

28. cynthia halford says:

Absolutely need more! I don’t want to see it come to an end period! There are so many stories that are opened up for many seasons still. How can they wrap them all up in one SHORTENED season?!?!?!? Come on

29. jan cameron says:

look forward to 10 episodes in season 8. Please, no short cuts.

30. Ken says:

If HBO pulls another ” DEADWOOD” and cancels the best series to ever hit television on its final season before it’s conclusion…..your executives better run and hide!
    Because no one in the world will let you rest

31. Amber says:

why end it at all?? i could watch everyday as long as they kept the story going and kept it interesting