Ray Donovan Ian McShane Season 3

Deadwood Revival: HBO's Top Exec Offers Update on Reunion Movie

HBO’s Deadwood revival remains in development — that’s the good news. The less good news is that the project has not progressed beyond the script stage — mostly because, well, there is no script.

“I haven’t read [series creator David Milch]’s script yet,” HBO’s top programming exec Casey Bloys told TVLine Saturday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. “I know he’s working on it. But I have not seen anything yet.”

Asked to put odds on whether the long-gestating project will ever become a reality, Bloys replied, “I couldn’t even put odds on it,” before adding, “I don’t want to get your hopes up or disappoint you in any way, so I’ll just say I don’t have any news. Which I truly don’t.”

Last January, Bloys’ predecessor Michael Lombardo first confirmed to TVLine that Milch was given the green light to resurrect the acclaimed yet painfully short-lived Western via a standalone movie. “David has our commitment that we are going to do it,” he said at the time. “He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be — and knowing David, that could change. But it’s going to happen.”

Lombardo went on to say that the project was born out of a “palpable” sense he had that Milch “has something left unsaid” with regard to Deadwood, adding “I’ve known him for a while and it feels like it’s something he’s not done talking about.”

1. Douglas from Brazil says:

I’m tired of hearing of reboots and revivals. Are the writers could not think of an original story and make into a series? Or is it just laziness?

• militantgod says:

Milch has made many shows before and after Deadwood so putting him into some kind of lazy writers category is completely wrong. If he wants to give Deadwood a real conclusion we should all be very happy for him to do it.

• Walkie says:

Milch has had 10 years to come up with a script. He still doesn’t have one. It’s ridiculous.

• militantgod says:

The ridiculous thing is you think he’s been writing a script for a show that got canceled for 10 years. What do you think about Lynch and Frost? That it took them 25 years to write the Twin peaks revival?

• MMD says:

If you have not watched this series, then you missed out on a terrific show packed full of great character actors. David Milch is a genius and all the actors that were involved, Milch as well as the fans is a conclusion because HBO cancelled Deadwood without notice because of another period piece, Rome, which did not last long.

No one could ever call David Milch lazy as he probably rewrote every single line of Deadwood 100 times.

• TrickyGreyArea says:

This project has been in discussions for practically a decade – long before the recent explosion in reunions and reboots – because the show ended before the story was done and (IMO) everyone involved realizes it will probably be the best thing they ever work on. I understand growing tired of the current trend, but I don’t think this is an attempt to cash in on that.

2. Kate says:

I sure hope we can get a movie with the original cast to end the series….to end so abruptly as Deadwood did was cruel….

3. MMD says:

Just get the actors all lined up anyway because they all want to do the movie plus they ALL know that there is no need of a script because Milch always changes everything the day of shooting. As long as the actors have an outline as to what is going to happen I’m sure that will be enough. After all it was that way of working with the genius Milch that made Deadwood the great series that it is. It just needs a proper ending.

4. Ian McShane is going to be 75 years old this year. He isn’t going to be around forever. Let’s get this movie done before we lose the most important person in it!!!