The Vampire Diaries Spoilers

Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder Hints at 'Odd Bedfellows' in Winter Premiere

Friday’s Vampire Diaries (The CW, 8/7c) marks star Ian Somerhalder‘s third — and final — turn as director, and he’s promising plenty of “powerful” performances in his big send-off.

“Our show is kind of famous for jamming a lot of story into one 44-minute episode, so what’s great about this one is that I really got the chance to let a few storylines live and coexist with one another,” Somerhalder tells TVLine. “For me, it’s simply about taking those cameras, putting them in front of those actors and finding moments for the story to breathe. Because I’m an actor — I’m one of them, their peer, their brother — I’d like to think that I get the performances that maybe not everyone would get.”

Read on for a taste of what to expect from director Somerhalder’s final outing:

* In addition to Sybil now teaching at Mystic Falls High School — which, as Somerhalder points out, is “very bad” — the evil siren also “forces our beloved Caroline to look deep inside herself and grapple with some realities she wasn’t prepared to face about Stefan. And she does it in a very seductive and manipulative way.” Somerhalder refers to the actresses as “odd bedfellows, even visually. They’re both stunning individuals, but they look so different, so it’s really cool to have them in the same frame.”

* As for the Salvatore brothers, Somerhalder reveals that “Damon starts to show little glimmers of humanity” this week, causing Stefan to question his brother’s commitment to Cade’s mission. “He also goes a little far in terms of causing his brother physical harm; Damon ends up in a hospital bed.” That said, it’s not all doom and gloom. As always, Somerhalder promises, “There are a couple moments with the brothers that are quite funny.”

* And then there are the Donovan men. “Matt’s such a beloved character, and it’s so interesting to see this boy who’s become a man now grappling with the return of his father,” Somerhalder notes. “He’s still trying to figure out why his father abandoned him, and he really starts to come to terms with that this week.” He adds that Zach Roerig “plays this story so beautifully,” and that some of his favorite moments simply involve “Matt’s mannerisms as he looks at his father and wonders, ‘Am I really like this man?'”

Your hopes for Friday’s episode? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. marydspain says:

Can’t wait for Steroline

2. Linnay says:

Bout time Caroline realized that Stefan isn’t perfect.

3. just finish with this show and bring up our perfect sweet vampire: The Originals as always i want klaroline and plec better not screw up the ending cos this season has been kinda a letdown

• Maria says:

I agree. I feel like they’ve been pandering to fans of only one couple and I’m not a fan of it at all. I think Caroline has been very OOC this season, especially with Tyler’s death. She’s acting like a Stepford wife, and I miss her being a badass vampire. She’s not human, and she hated being a human so I don’t know why she’s acting like one. Let’s hope Julie fixes it and the show ends with a bang and not a cookie cutter whimper.

• Stacey says:

Thank you for writing this! I feel the exact same way! I miss Caroline circa S2 – S5. Maybe Sybil can do some good!

4. Jess says:

I am so ready for Caroline to realize that Stefan is kind of a trash person.

5. maria says:

looking forward to this episode directed by Ian they are always so good.

6. Sharon says:

Can’t wait for Caroline to realize that Stefan is not as perfect and great as she thinks she.

She should not be wasting her life away waiting for him. She should be out seeing the world and enjoying being a vampire.

7. Stacey says:

Sad that there doesn’t seem to be any Bonnie or Enzo in this episode, they’re basically the only reason I still watch. Sybil laying sime truth bombs on Caroline though may entice me enough to tune it. And IS does a solid job directing, if his last 2 bouts are any indication.

8. Helen says:

Boring last season. They might’ve just announced their precious ships’ endgames & be done with this show a couple seasons ago

9. Paige boettcher says:

This is crazy I don’t watch it after Elena left her Damon is why I even watched it I don’t watch it any more they ruined it for me I hope they bring Elena back she ends up with Damon he’s so freaking hot

• maria says:

Still watching it for Damon. Tonights Episde ,directed by Ian, was so awesome. Damon was even hotter then usally which is hard to top ;-)

10. Rebecca Allen says:

Please don’t take Vampire Diaries off it’s such a great movie to watch and we just don’t want to lose it

11. Carmen Ortiz says:

Why can’t we keep the vampire diaries going. We’ve had TV shows/series than went on for a long time. The personalities of each character is great. The relationship between siblings, friendship and love. Keeps us coming back for more.