The Originals Season 5 Julie Plec

The Originals Showrunner Exits; TVD's Julie Plec to Take Over If Renewed

The Originals showrunner Michael Narducci is exiting the CW series, as he leaves Warner Bros. Television for a new two-year deal at ABC Studios.

Production on The Originals Season 4 (premiering Friday, March 17) has already wrapped. If the series is renewed for Season 5, Julie Plec will return to seize the reins, since The Vampire Diaries will have ended.

Narducci “got an opportunity he couldn’t pass up,” Plec told THR, which broke the news. “He has been a brilliant partner and friend and I’m going to miss him desperately.”

Narducci has been a part of the Vampire Diaries-verse since late Season 2 of the original series, when he served as executive story editor. He was upped to co-producer for Season 3 and has been a full executive producer at The Originals since Season 2.

1. Tiffany says:

Noooo!!! The Originals is such a better show than TVD. Well I guess that’s over now!

• Danny123 says:

Well I guess I quit after season 4. Julie will bring all her stupid TVD characters like Caroline over to this show. This show was so good too. Well it isn’t gonna be renewed anyway.

• Riana says:

It was until a certain episode of season 3. And we know it was only renewed for syndication.

2. Tina says:

Good riddance!

3. Liz says:

I have to say good riddance. He is the reason the Original family has descend into this darkness. He was all about plot driven episodes and he completely destroyed the characters. Yes it is natural for some characters to develop but to do a 180 development, no. If TO, gets a 5th season, and I do mean if, I hope they revert back to what made audiences love the Originals in the first place.

4. Katie says:

No. No. This isn’t happening! Michael made TO run like clockwork, helped to keep it soo good. Julie would only screw it up. *sniff* Good-bye Mr. Narducci (I for one will miss you) and farewell to the show that we once loved. And I was feeling so good. Damn you full moon Friday the 13th! Ugh!

5. Erick Voshel says:

Find this surprising news. I thought he would stick with it., but I will remain with Originals if it is renewed for a fifth season. I have been a huge fan of the first three seasons. Looking forward to the fourth.

6. Excellent, maybe now the want to be Shakespearean drama will turn back into the guilty pleasure night soap that I wanted and I can start watching again.

7. Hermes says:

Thank God! i’m looking at the rating and i can NOT understand how people think his work is better than Julie. first 3 seasons of TVD were amazing and first 3 seasons of TO was awful. it was a miracle they got season 4. Now i have a reason for watching TO

8. Manuel Green says:

I Just hope Plec doesnt make TO a dead show, if its renewed for a S5

9. Val. says:

So Julie was in charge in S1 when the show had good ratings and Hayley hadn’t a big part of the show and then Narducci took over S2-S3 and everything was about the Baby and Hayley and ships with Klamille Haylijah and the others, and Mikaelsons served as plot decive to support characters instead otherwise? Yep I took Julie over Michael as far as The Originals concerned.

• Stacey says:

Same here! Season 1 was so good, Season 2 was okay, and Season 3 was horrible except for the finale. With some of the dead weight gone, maybe the show can be good again. Glad Bex is back!!

10. Lucy says:

I’m going to give Julie a chance because I remember how good TVD use to be. But what must be considered is that TO is a different show to TVD, where TVD is more teen romance drama, TO is more grown up about family and I’d say into the supernatural lore and politics.

My defence I do stop watching both shows at the same time (TVD mid S6, TO mid S2) they weren’t bad, just got busy.

11. the originals is about family, TVD has had a continual plot line since since 5 due to plec fault, hope she understands that this guys are 1000 years old and there are so many story u can use

12. Dominique says:

oh lord why?
    take one look at the last three seasons, and ESPECIALLY ths season of TVD and it tells you why she should stay far away from the originals. this is horrible.

13. and with that, the show is done. Nice little run though for The originals

14. Jess says:

Good. One of the major, major problems with The Originals is that it took itself to open seriously. Everything wasn’t overwrought and serious to the point of taking the fun out of watching it. I think Julie will bring some of the lightness that a show like this needs for balance.

15. Andrew Hass says:

Michael Naducci probably got a good offer from ABC where maybe he can come up with shows of his own.Plus maybe TVD ending Naducci knew Plec might take more of an interest in The Originals and maybe he didn’t want some kind of power struggle to ensue.

16. liame says:

I guess that’s it for TO.

17. Kim says:

This is disappointing news. Narducci may have made the show a little deeper and he and Plec made a good team. I was disappointed with how plot-driven the show was at times, and by the death of some characters this past season, but the ideas were good, even if the execution was not always. Case in point being the finale last year, which had a great ending. The CW doesn’t seem to be supporting this show much any more, however.

18. Ally Oop says:

Please no. VD was good until Kevin Williamson left and The Originals is such a better show than VD.

19. Sha Pike says:

So exactly when is The Originals going to air for the 2017 season? I miss it & am on pins & needles waiting. Some one please tell me . And I am begging The CW not to cancel my favorite show. …

20. Dreadz says:

Whoever did season 3 should be fired hands down

21. Jane says:

Rats abandon a sinking ship. While on this topic, I expect more ships if S05 happen, JP can’t write without them and Haylijah won’t fill her up for long

22. kanjoh Leonard says:

When will the originals season 5 be release

23. Please make a season 5 of the originals! Please don’t cancel it!! I ❤ the originals so much! It’s so fantastic!!!! I love the mikaelsons, love the story line & all the actors, please don’t cancel it!

24. Alverna says:

Is season 4 the last season of the originals
    gotten so use to the show will be so sad if it had to end now

25. Punkin says:

BOO HISS Boo. it already returned did the season and been taken off forever? Not cool. this is way better than vampire diaries awesome. I am so disappointed. To many times they had to move stations. bad call. so sad