American Horror Story Season 7 Will Be 'Modern-Day' Tale, Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters Set to Return

American Horror Story will not be going back in time for Season 7.

“It’s a modern-day story,” Ryan Murphy revealed to reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, adding that AHS vets Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters are the first two cast members to officially sign on.

RELATED American Crime Story‘s Katrina-Themed Season 2 Delayed Until 2018

Regarding the level of secrecy the new season will be shrouded in, Murphy — echoing comments he made last fall — said he’s inclined not to do another stealth reveal a Season 6’s Roanoke-themed outing. “I don’t know that we’d do that again,” he said. “I think maybe we would release [some hints] of it earlier. I just started writing it. I haven’t decided how to do it yet.”

Murphy previously said that Season 7 would involve several Freak Show characters.

Earlier at TCA, FX Network CEO John Landgraf said of the new AHS season: “Ryan has another really innovative idea to do something fresh and different. There’s a marketing and promotional hook around that.”

TVLine then asked Landgraf if — having now renewed Horror Story for a total of three additional seasons — he has heard from Murphy ideas for Seasons 8 and 9. Or was the move purely based off good ratings/good will?

“We know explicitly what next season is about; we don’t know what the eighth and ninth season are about. So yes, we’re extending [the renewal] out of trust and good will,” Landgraf said. “I honestly couldn’t tell you what Season 8 or 9 will be, but I can tell you I’m really excited about Season 7. Also, Ryan made a commitment that he would continue to run that show.”

1. Linda says:

I do hope Ryan Murphy will make Season 7 really scary. No more gore only. Not scary!! I find each season’s premiere episode is scary and draws you in and then it slowly becomes just gore. Scare me. The ‘clown’ from Freak Show scared me to death. I was glued to the screen whenever he was featured, especially when it revealed the caged people inside the abandoned trailer in the woods. OMG.. so compelling. Please Ryan? Does he read these comments?

• leahsodyssey says:

I agree, and was so disapointed when Twisty died, because he was so scary and fun to watch because he was scary. I liked Roenoake at first, then it became a big mess.

• Clay Goodson says:

Ya. Unfortunately half the audience wants to be shocked with gore. It’s a cheap tactic. I want real tasteful scares. Not cheap gimmicks.

2. Alec says:

So glad we’ll have AHS for so long.

3. Matt C. says:

Now that Bates Motel is ending, Ryan should get Vera Farmiga to come onboard for season 7…and bring Taissa back as well! I would LOVE to see those two together on this show!

4. readenreply says:

Freak Show was set in the 50’s. Aged characters (but who’d still be alive in 2016)?
    So Modern Day setting = flashbacks to the Freak Show characters?

• Diana Lathim Dorrell says:

AHS is a crossed universe.Pinhead was taken to her sisters in freak show then the baby died…. in season 2 there was pinhead explaining what happened to her at her sisters and why she was there. Multicomplexed which is awesome.

5. Jennifer Cummings says:

I would love to help write this!

6. Diana Barreras says:

More Lady Gaga ! So surprised she is such a great actress!

7. Tabi says:

Please give us more Evan Peters. He is the star of the show to many fans and all his characters are definitely fab favorites of each season. To give us him in only 2episodes last season was completely wrong. I thought I didn’t like asylum but it turns out I love it compared to roanoke.

8. Kay says:

I cant wait!!!

9. popeye013 says:

Roanoke as a story was good, but the bleeping of the f-words killed it for me to the point i stopped watching it!
    Hopefully this is avoided either by not writing them into the show or getting on the fact IT IS 2017, STOP CENSORING TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Smlmre says:

I’m pretty sure they bleeped the f-word because the series was like a show inside a show. They did this for effect, because like most reality tv, they typically bleep out those words.

10. Cas says:

Um how about Emma Roberts too. She was always my favorite to watch in the Witch one (can’t remember the name) and Freak show. I skipped this season because it didn’t look appealing.

11. homepage says:

Internet dating features a massive variety of gay dating personals from
    single gay blokes trying to find dating and love.

Many gay dating connections formed on these types of websites come to be long term committed relationships.
    Prior to that date even so the gay community had no choice but to obtain very
    creative in relation to how and where they met publicly.

12. Diana Lathim Dorrell says:

I am excited for the new seasons! I hope to see even if just in small sections Jessica Lange and Lily Rabe come back. Hopefully Ryan can return it to the shows original orgins like seasons 1 through 3. They were smartly done without insulting our creative imagary.

13. annetta says: