Fox Bosses Talk Future of The X-Files, Pitch and Scream Queens

An X-Files renewal could be imminent, and it’s far from game over for Pitch.

At Fox’s portion of the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Wednesday, Chairman and CEO Gary Newman and entertainment president David Madden weighed in on both series’ fates.

Regarding an 11th season of The X-Files, Madden said, “A lot of conversations are going on. As you can imagine, these conversations are complex. We hope to be able to announce something shortly.” (The exec later confirmed that the goal is to order more than Season 10’s six episodes but less than 22).

Pitch, meanwhile, remains very much in contention for Season 2, despite those disappointing ratings. “We were very proud of Pitch,” said Newman. “We would’ve loved to have seen a bigger audience. [It] had a loyal core. I don’t think the performance level enabled us to make an early decision about it, but as we get to May, we’re certainly going to consider it.”

Newman also isn’t ruling out a third season of Scream Queens, which ended Season 2 as the lowest-rated drama on the Big 4. “Obviously, we would have loved to have seen bigger numbers,” he conceded, before noting that “delayed viewing was there” and “it reaches a hard-to-reach younger audience, which we liked.”

Lastly, Madden said he was not surprised that Sleepy Hollow returned to series lows last Friday. “Bringing a show out on Friday night is tough,” he acknowledged. “We lost one of the core characters [Nicole Beharie’s Abbie], which required a real reset, and it isn’t unexpected that some of the audience would have peeled off. But our hope is that the really compelling storyline will bring people back to it.”

1. GuessWhat says:

“PITCH” sounds like a great Disney movie idea. But a sustainable TV series? Um, no. That’s why ratings were sucky.

• Daisy says:

Did you watch it? It was really good and the storyline was more than sustainable. It was intriguing and entertaining for those that did watch.

• ninergrl6 says:

I loved it too, and I don’t like baseball AT. ALL. Not even sure I have Pitch a try, but it grabbed me instantly and was one of my favorite new shows this season.

• Katherine215 says:

You clearly did not watch it. It’s more than sustainable and it’s incredibly well-written. I have no idea why people didn’t watch it just like you don’t, but it’s a really great show.

• Doug Henning says:

It was a go-to show for me when it was on.. Now as a baseball fan, I could see through the holes like having Dick Enberg doing FS1 broadcasts but so what… I hope they are realistic and not use Dick next season if it is renewed since he retired but maybe they will since it is fiction.. The funny thing is that it was obviously all written before the World Series but you wonder if they added the Cubs stuff

• Katherine215 says:

I read they did add the line about the Cubs likely not winning anyway after the WS, as a little joke to the audience.

2. Erica says:

The fact that he kept referring to Pitch in the past tense is also certainly telling…..

3. Bobbi says:

I really hope Pitch returns! We enjoyed it so much.

4. ellajasper says:

We loved Pitch. I think part of the problem is it’s location on the schedule. Give it a great time slot without heavy competition. But please bring it back!

5. Joey Padron says:

Really hope Pitch will get renewed for season 2!

6. lastfrontier84 says:

What about The Exorcist?

7. Luli says:

Is he being real about scream queens?? I enjoy all the actors in the cast, but wow is the show awful…

8. Ken says:

Love Scream Queens and hope it gets another season, but not holding my breath on that one. What about the Exorcist. Did Fox not talk about that show or its chances for another season?

9. wrstlgirl says:

If they renew Scream Queen and not Pitch it will be such a shame. SQ was terrible in s1 and I had to quit watching s2 because it was worse. Pitch is a great show.

• Jbj says:

Why would you suffer through S2, if you already disliked S1? Are you a masochist? I actually liked S1, but S2 was still torture.

I was hoping working with Ryan Murphy would help revamp Taylor Lautner’s career after his great comedic work in Cuckoo. But his character and performance fell so flat here.

I really think they should pull the plug because RM has so many shows in the pipeline that any unnecessary one will just dilute the quality further. I’d rather Feud be brilliant than another season of Scream Queens.

• wrstlgirl says:

Well, like I said I QUIT watching s2 because it was worse than s1. I wanted to give it a try because I really like John Stamos but I just couldn’t hang. If that makes me a masochist then so be it.

10. JScout says:

Please renew Pitch. I really enjoyed it.

11. ScottJ says:

Much as I like Scream Queens it should be done. The last episode wrapped all the characters up nicely, and short of undoing that there’s nowhere left for the show to go.

As for Sleepy Hollow – how do people who aren’t watching the show know that there’s a “really compelling storyline” to come back to if they aren’t watching it in the first place? That’s a general thing with ratings that always puzzles me though. How do you know something is any good if you aren’t watching it?

12. lastfrontier84 says:

Scream Queens should have been an anthology series. There’s really nothing that can save it at this point.

13. Nicole Walker says:

If they can think about bringing back Scream Queens, Pitch and The Exorcist should be shoo ins for renewal.

14. Merla Punk says:

1) As long as the loooooooooooooong wait for the X-Files allows them to renew it for a bigger episode order, that better serves the show’s structure, I’m happy to wait.

2) Scream Queens is dead. Last year it had better ratings, good reviews, and a passionate (if small) following. No one gives a crap about it after the second season. Neither reviewers nor season 1 fans (let’s not talk about advertisers).

3) How can they be so blind as to be surprised by Sleepy Hollow ratings? It shouldn’t even haven been renewed, much less without it’s core cast and premise. Of course no one came back.

15. kmw says:

Wow so the The X-Files part of this story is fine and so is Pitch to an extent. But how on gods green earth can the justify a renewal for Scream Queens? Unbelievable that this network would even consider this( their old 12 YEAR OLD show is pulling better demo numbers on Tuesday) Ryan Murphy sure has a pull on them and Sleepy Hollow? They renew that and they are even dumber than I think they are

16. I feel like Scream Queens if anything could go the way of Hulu or Netflix. Its online presence is more or less its strong point, so if for whatever reason they chose to bring it back that would probably be the best bet. It worked fairly well for The Mindy Project.

As far as Pitch goes, I didn’t catch it, but Fox is the one network where one could probably perform poorly and still get renewed. The lack of viewership and not getting a full season don’t help it though.

17. Bill says:

I whatever their smoking at FOX, pass some this way

18. GraceM says:

Sleepy Hollow is dead in the water. Abbie or no Abbie.

19. leash10 says:

I loved it and my husband watched and enjoyed right along with me. MPG is a delight and I need more of him in this role. I’ve been impressed with the editing of shots between the actors and the real baseball. I truly hope it gets another season.

20. Unless they’re going to stop making up stuff about the mythology of The X Files, to try and make it make sense, I would rather them not bring it back again! I was a big fan and watcher of the show back in the 90s and 00s, to the end, but their mythology never made sense! And it still doesn’t! Because they kept changing things before, and now they are changing it again, to try and get new viewers and old fans to watch it, despite how wonky the mythology is! I know a lot people compared Fringe to The X Files, when it first came out, but it was a heck of alot better to me, then The X Files! Fringe to me, was what The X Files tried to be, and failed Fringe mixed their mythology perfectly with their mystery of the week episodes, so in the end, it made sense! The X Files, would in one episode say that for instance, zombies don’t exist, right after they had the episode with the four horsemen, who were men who came back from the dead, as basically zombies! They were always contradicting themselves all the time, and now with the new season, last year, they did it with everything in the mythology of the series before! Altering what we who watched the series originally, never happened or we knew couldn’t have happened! I mean it was obvious during the series original seasons, that the people making it, didn’t know what they were trying to say back then, and now they are doing the same thing, again! Chris Carter isn’t master show creator that everyone makes him out to be! Sometimes I think the main reason the show did well, was more to do with the two actors playing the main characters, then anything to do with what the show was about! But the fact was, the most popular episodes, were the none mythology ones, I don’t think anyone really liked the mythology episodes! I know I never did, even when the show was one of my favorites! When I’ve watched reruns of the series, I’ve actually skipped some of the mythology ones, because they annoy me too much! Because one will say one thing, and the next one that is supposed to be part of it, says something completely different, which then changes the whole thing! And they are still doing that now, the only good episodes last season, was the ones that had nothing to do with the so-called mythology!

• brut85 says:

No kidding….CC has ret-conned the Mythology so badly that it’s WORTHLESS to watch the previous 9 seasons….where are the supersoldiers? Black oil? And I’m tired of Mulder being portrayed as worthless and a bum while Scully is a master of every surgery imaginable….and finally CC? You have one of the greatest relationships and couples chemistry in the history of TV….yet M/S were on screen in your potential idiotic final episode for ONE MINUTE!!!!! Get a clue.