Exclusive
Lucifer Season 2 Spoilers

Lucifer First Look: Tim DeKay Does 'Terrible Things' in Upcoming Arc

Tim DeKay will have good intentions yet do very, very bad things when he arrives on Fox’s Lucifer.

Seen in the exclusive photo above, the White Collar vet will play Dr. Jacob Carlisle, a brilliant neuroscience professor whose encounter with Lucifer will have deadly ramifications for someone the Devil cares about.

“We’re doing something we haven’t done before, which is we’re having a three-episode procedural arc [launching Jan. 16],” co-showrunner Ildy Modrovich tells TVLine. “So, [in addition to] the mythology and really digging into Lucifer, Chloe and ‘Will They/Won’t They,’ we have one Big Bad guy.”

Not that DeKay’s not-so-good doctor is purely evil.

“We always try to explore duality and the gray area — you don’t have just ‘bad guys’ and ‘good guys.’ And that’s kind of him, basically,” says Modrovich. “He starts doing terrible things, but his intentions aren’t bad. He was faced with making a horrible moral call, in the middle of distress, and now he’s kind of backpedaling from that. But in doing that, he does bad things.”

Lucifer returns from its holiday break on Monday, Jan. 16, though for just three episodes (and then resuming its season on May 1). DeKay first airs Jan. 23.

Want more scoop on Lucifer, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Bob says:

WTF May first that’s an insane long hiatus after only 3 new episodes

• Rylie says:

Just about to comment that! What the crap! I blame myself i just marathoned season 1 up to now and am jonesing for new eps so of course this would happen…

• rowenamck says:

Seriously! Why do networks think this is a good idea?? I’d much rather have the entire season run week to week than have all these breaks. I mean, come on. Are they trying to kill shows by getting people disinterested because of the wait?

• Queen of the Run-on Sentence says:

Amen to that! FOX really doesn’t know how to schedule it’s shows. Lucifer needs to be on a Network that loves it better.

• Temperance says:

And as one of my favorite shows, it’s annoying that other (significantly lesser) shows are getting in the way…

• James D says:

My thoughts exactly. I honestly don’t understand the thought process behind this it makes no logical sense why have three episodes and a three month break. Arg! I’ve been really loving this season too. Stupid TV Execs.

2. Iris says:

I don’t know what worries me most. “May 1st” or “will they won’t they”. Et tu, Lucifer?

• Bark Star says:

Definitely the latter. “Will they/wont they” is for the dumb masses and it will ruin any show if used for too long or too extensively. Its just an annoying old trope that is only there to make sad and lonely people cling to a fake emotional attachment.

3. Joey Padron says:

Good first look photo of Tim’s character on the show. Excited to see him on Lucifer!

4. Jeff says:

While I can certainly understand a struggling networks desire to maximize viewership of one of their shows with a dedicated fan base by shifting it’s viewer to late in the season where there is less competition. Sadly though, you end up just pissing off the fan base, airing 2/3 of the ‘3 episode arc’ and then tossing the show for 4 months ? meh…

5. Darsan54 says:

ONLY three episodes?!?! Bastids.

6. Pasc says:

Do we know the why of such an extended hiatus in between?
    I will admit to loosing patience with network tv now and all of the absurd wait in between new episodes. I would prefer to see shorter seasons, with good scripts, good characters but shown week to week without any breaks then these ridiculous stop and go. Lucifer is one of my guilty pleasures but with this news, I will wait for the 2nd half of the season to be done before I invest time in watching it. Dissapointing