The Good Wife Spinoff

The Good Fight: No Plans For Alicia to Appear in Good Wife Spinoff — Plus: Watch Full-Length, NSFW Trailer Now

Julianna Margulies’ Alicia will remain a presence on The Good Fight, but it’ll be an off screen one.

At the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Monday, series co-creator Robert King said Alicia is “mentioned constantly” in the forthcoming Good Wife spinoff, but there are no plans for her to actually appear in any of Season 1’s 10 episodes. “We talked to Julianna about the show and her relationship with it,” he added. “And Julianna agreed that The Good Wife ended that story.”

Added fellow co-creator Michelle King: “Look at this amazing cast. We have 10 episodes to tell these stories. So that’s where we want to focus.”

Reporters were treated to a first look at the full-length trailer for The Good Fight, and, as we teased last month, it features Christine Baranski’s Diane dropping the F-bomb shortly after learning that her entire life savings has been lost. (WATCH IT BELOW) Acknowledging CBS All Access’ looser restrictions, Michelle King confirmed, “You’re going to hear people talk the way they speak in life.”

Since the premiere episode (and only the premiere episode) will also run simultaneously on CBS network on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 8/7c , Diane’s F-bomb will magically turn into a more broadcast-friendly “son of a bitch,” Baranski revealed.

1. Brian says:

The broadcast version is also going to be 7 minutes shorter.

2. CAN says:

Looks good but I’m not paying to watch it.

3. Deion says:

I’m in. Christine Baranski is the hook, and my crush on Cush Jumbo reels me in.

4. Michael Raymond says:

I am soooo in!!! I cant wait

5. Rafael says:

(the song is so SUITS!…)
    Great to hear Alicia is out: she was a great character but it’s time to hear other stories, the ones TGW left out.

• rowan77 says:

LOL! I had the same exact thoughts about the music. I also have to say that I agree with your thoughts about no Alicia on the show. I don’t hate her or JM at all, but I felt like 7 years of Alicia Florrick was more than enough and that there is so much more Diane and Luca to see. Sad Matt Czuchry isn’t in it. I will my weekly Matt fix.

6. Haz says:

Was Julianna not that well liked? Between the whole thing Kalinda/Archie Panjabi stuff and the Kings all “will she or won’t she appear” finally confirming she won’t it just does not make Julianna come off as that likeable.

• Steven says:

It’s long been rumored that she and Archie didn’t get along. It’s also telling that towards the end of the series she didn’t really share scenes with many of the other cast members, but unless someone wants to write a tell all somewhere down the line we’ll never really know.

7. abz says:

I never expected Alicia to appear, especially in the debut season. There’s too much ground to cover with all of these characters, both old and new. But I do hope if the series is successful that they don’t rule out the possibility of having Alicia/JM guest star at some point and even Kalinda too. I am glad that Alicia will be mentioned though.
    The trailer looks so good. I’m so excited for this show and I hope it does well.

8. MLD says:

Shakespeare could write this with George Clooney and Emma Stone signing on as regulars and I wouldn’t pay for CBS rip-off greedy Access. I’m happy for those who are willing to pay for this service but if all of the networks did this then we’d all be paying for dozens of pay services with only crap for free. What’s next, Madam Secretary, the only current CBS show that I watch, moving over to Access?

9. Zayne says:

Well, crap. I was resolute on not paying CBS money for this because this idea is stupid but if I get to have the more adult version of The Good Wife with my favorite character as the lead now…..fine, take my money CBS. Just get your stupid app on something I can stream easier.

10. andrew hass says:

I think it’s a good thing that Alicia won’t be making an appearance because i think the series needs to have a separate identity from The Good Wife at least at the beginning,.

11. That trailer is really good. It doesn’t just look like a TGW spin-off, but rather like a new show with familiar characters. Repositioning it around Diane’s retirement/loos of money seems like a good hook for the new series. I might pay for one month of CBS’ dumb service and just stream all 10 eps once the season ends.

12. Ben says:

It won’t let me watch :(

13. Sandy S says:

I pay for basic cable service, premium cable service, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu..there is NO way I am paying for another premium TV web access!

14. militantgod says:

What planet are you guys living in who constantly cry about paying for it? There is a little thing called the internet, you’re typing in it right now, that has everything available for free.

15. John036 says:

UGH IT LOOKS SO GOOD WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ON CBS ALL ACCESS

16. Alec says:

The video is not working, probably cause I’m from another country.

17. Diana Coleman says:

Christine Baranski is elegant, beautiful and such a talented actress…. she is the reason I watched The Good Wife. Can hardly wait for the new show to begin, “bad” words and all.

18. Erica says:

I didn’t watch The Good Wife after season 2 but The Good Fight looks good

19. Boredaily247 says:

They can have my money. I’ll just cancel once the show’s over. That way, it doesn’t add up to much.

20. Peggysue says:

I would watch The Good Fight if it was on regular tv. Since it’s not, I guess I’ll have to pas. I really liked The Good Wife and was disappointed when it ended. We’re all ready paying for satellite, that’s enough.