No Tomorrow -- "No Soup for You" -- Image NOT110a_0273b.jpg -- Pictured (L-R):  Joshua Sasse as Xavier and Tori Anderson as Evie -- Photo: Bettina Strauss/The CW -- © 2016 The CW Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved

No Tomorrow, Frequency to Deliver Closure on Digital Side If Not Renewed

As two of The CW’s three lowest-rated dramas, and given that neither received a “back 9” order, the future doesn’t look bright for freshmen No Tomorrow and Frequency. And in the event either/both in fact wind up cancelled, there is a plan to deliver closure to fans.

Both shows “are on the verge of wrapping [production], and we have plans in place [to wrap things up] that would be served on the digital side,” CW president Mark Pedowitz shared after his appearance at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Pedowitz made clear, though, that such closure would not come in the form of a full, digital-only episode, but a “tag” that would wrap things up and be posted on The CW’s website.

Any such tag would be touted at close of either series’ 13th episode, if a decision on its fate has been made by then, or later — perhaps not until May or June, after the network reveals its 2017-18 schedule at the mid-May Upfronts, Pedowitz told TVLine.

No Tomorrow and Frequency thus far are both averaging a 0.3 demo rating, while drawing 1 million and 880,000 total viewers, respectively.

1. abz says:

I haven’t watched these shows and I know it’s all about money but I have much more respect for networks like this where they actually try and give closure in some form or another should the shows be cancelled. It’s better than networks like Lifetime for example that just cancel a show like Devious Maids, which ended on a big cliffhanger, without giving the writers advanced notice of the current season being the final season or renewing it for a shortened season to wrap things up (for example, like the way they did with White Collar).

• Patrick says:

I don’t always blame the nets. Sometimes, writers on borderline shows write in cliffhangers to force the hands of their network masters. Writers and showrunners need to do a better job of realizing the reality of their situation be it because of ratings or creative issues or business/financial concerns. A genre show, Stargate SG-1 had a run of 3-5 seasons where they weren’t sure if they would be back. They did a marvelous job of closing off current threads while laying the ground for possible future plot lines. Shows today need to do a better job of this. If you are a modestly rated first year show, don’t do a huge cliffhanger. Close up story main lines, but leave the door open for future moves. Limitless last year did a great job of this. We were left with a happy ending, so to speak, but there were questions and possible threads for the future.

• abz says:

Yeah, I can see your point. It’s a bit of both. But don’t networks have to sign off on all the episodes of the shows before they go to air so wouldn’t they know shows will end on a cliffhanger all the while knowing they intend to cancel it? I just wish networks would give shows the heads up that the current season will be the final season so that the writers can wrap things up. I mean look at the whole Nashville thing. They hire new showrunners, only to then cancel the show and it was left on a cliffhanger. The show lucked out because a different network took over, but there’s an example of cocky, overconfident writers who decide to end a show on a cliffhanger without a guarantee of a renewal, and a network giving a show false hope with new showrunners and no advanced notice of cancellation.
        But your right that some shows need to face their reality or have a plan in motion. I love Bates Motel and am sad its ending, but I like that they had a five year plan and have had time to write a proper ending.

• jbj says:

I think there will always be fans who will never be satisfied, especially when it comes to how shows end. Abz’s complaint about Devious Maids is a good example. The cliffhanger was basically a tag to a fully wrapped-up season meant to set up next season’s mystery (like always). Had the show been canceled before the finale aired, the producers probably could have simply cut the last scene, no big deal. It’s fair to be disappointed about DM’s cancellation, but you make it sound like the writers were trying to screw over their audience just to pressure the network into renewal when they actually managed to give everyone a fairly happy-ending. Try to imagine a finale where Zoila and Genevieve were still estranged!!

• abz says:

I think my complaint is justified. I would have been sad that the show had ended, but at least if they had cut out cliffhanger at the end, no one would have a reason to complain that they didn’t wrap all of the stories.
            They may not have been trying to screw over their audience, but going into the fourth season of the show with the episode order already being cut and the ratings declining, the writers should have already known or at the very least sensed that the show was at risk of cancellation. The cliffhanger would have been fine in earlier seasons, but the show was older and there was no guarantee of renewal, so why make the decision to have a cliffhanger like that. As I had mentioned, I think both the networks and the writers are to blame. The networks for failing to give shows the advanced notice of it being the final season and as @Patrick had mentioned, the writers for failing to look at the reality of the show’s current status and acting accordingly and creating a finale that wraps things up while leaving some questions/possible threads for future seasons if it gets renewed.

• Haz says:

Yeah I was pissed about Maids as well. In both terms of quality and ratings Unreal did far worse. I also believe that unless the behind the scenes drama on Unreal is not solved season 3 might be it’s last. I think Lifetime did Maids dirty and probably could have told the writers to wrap everything up because it might not come back. I will say this past season had way to much Rosie. The accent the Dania Ramirez used pushed my nerves to their limit! If it would have been her natural accent I wouldn’t have minded but I’ve seen other projects of hers which showed it wasn’t.

• abz says:

Agreed. I see no reason why with this show, Lifetime couldn’t have warned them of the cancellation in advance. They already reduced the episode order to ten from the typical 13 episodes per season. Why couldn’t they have promoted it as the final season from the start or at least announced it half way through the season? They would have been able to end the show the way they did without the Marisol is missing mystery. But I guess though that blame could also be put on the writers too, as they would have been fools if they didn’t realize the show was on the bubble. They shouldn’t have made the decision to go through with the cliffhanger, without a guarantee of renewal.
        Rosie has always been my least favourite of the maids for precisely the reason you mentioned. I CAN’T STAND HER VOICE most of the time!!! Damn it got on my nerves, but I still enjoyed the show overall. I think I’ll miss Evelyn and Genevieve the most </3

• Tbh, I was very pleased with how Maids ended. Almost everybody got a happy ending and then they had this awesome cliffhanger. “Where is Marisol?” Even unresolved, this was a great way to end it all because it was like an affectionate homage to the show itself. The show started with a mystery and ended with one. We don’t need to know where Marisol is, all we need to know is that drama and entrigue will always be a part of these characters lives. It’s so much more exciting when a series has an open-ended finale because it lets us know that the characters are still living exciting and dramatic lives even after cancellation. I thought it was perfect. It wasn’t the type of cliffhanger that makes the wait between seasons painful anyway. It just gave them options storytellingwise for if they did get a season 5. No big deal.

2. What the hell is a “tag”? Like, a hashtag? The closure for No Tomorrow will be #TheWorldDidntEnd ?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Really…? OK, a “tag” is a short piece of video.

• Hey man,
      I just wanted to say you shouldn’t feel bad for Matt’s rude/sarcastic comment. It’s totally understandable that you didn’t know what they meant by tag. I didn’t and none of my colleagues did either. Online bullying is a major problem right now and I was disappointed to see an example of this by a contributer to one of my favourite websites.

• trista says:

well said! Matt’s comment is rude. I would think he’d try to be nicer given all the people that read his website.

• Brigid says:

I don’t think his comment was rude in any way. He seemed to be surprised that the person didn’t know what it meant. There was no bullying because quite honestly that word is thrown around by sensitive people who have no understanding what that word actually means. How is saying the word, Really, bullying you into doing anything?

verb
        gerund or present participle: bullying
        use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

• Key word being “intimidate”. Displays of superiority are bullying. The word, “really” in this context implies that the commentr is in someway “less than” or unusual because they hadn’t heard the word before. It may be common in some circles, but it is not surprising that many people hadn’t heard the term “tag” before.

• I think a “tag” is like those mini-episodes on the LOST season 6 DVDs that wrapped up a few of the hanging plot threads that the finale didn’t address.

3. DougMac says:

No Tomorrow is great fun and I would like to see it continue. I like Frequency a lot too though Frequency should be able to tell their whole story in one season anyway due to the actual story. It should be a good showcase for several of the actors getting new jobs next season somewhere else

4. Suso says:

The “No Tomorrow” tag: Dude says, well this is it. Today is the day the world ends and I just wanted to say I lov– then the world ends.

5. Anne says:

Frequency is FANTASTIC. it’s a shame more people aren’t watching it.

6. PatriciaLee says:

Finally, there is a network head who cares about the fans and closure. I hope other networks follow Mr. Pedowitz’s example. Providing series closures could only cultivate faith in following a network’s shows.

7. Jared says:

This is why I will continue to watch or atleast try shows on The CW. They always seem to do right by the fans and viewers of their network, even when the shows are lower rated.

8. Brigid says:

What a shame, I really enjoy both shows. How can someone not watch No Tomorrow? It’s one of the most feel good shows out there. I will be happy to at least get some closure if it does happen.

9. Phil says:

Just call them “cancelled” and have the asteroid wipe out the “No Tomorrow” gang. Seriously – if the last episode isn’t “the asteroid is coming sooner than I thought” then what’s the point?
    I stopped watching it a few episodes ago because I realized I could wait eight days after its finale to watch it commercial free on Netflix, but this show is a perfect example of a way to just end it properly – kill them all.
    Mean? Maybe. Done? Yes, recently. But come on. Is there a show better prepped to work an abrupt cancellation into its narrative?

10. Carlynn says:

So i guess only Americans will get closure then? Not fair if this happens!

11. Iakovos says:

Why does every show need a cliffhanger at the end of a season or story arc? If I was a first-season show, I would not do one, or offer the slightest hint of the future. Shame NO TOMORROW did not catch on. I liked it. Hope to find a DVD set soon.