Grimm Cancelled Ratings

Ratings: Grimm Steady With Its Final Premiere, Sleepy Hollow Hits Lows

NBC’s Grimm opened its final season on Friday night with 4.5 million total viewers — its largest audience since May 15, 2015 — and a 0.9 demo rating, which was off from its previous premiere (4 mil/1.1, airing in the fall) but on par with both its Season 5 average (4 mil/0.9) and finale (3.9 mil/0.9).

TVLine readers gave Grimm‘s return an average grade of  “A-.”

Leading out of that, Emerald City‘s two-hour premiere (4.5 mil/1.0) built in the demo; TVLine readers gave the Oz riff an average grade of “B-.”

Over on Fox, Sleepy Hollow‘s “reboot” started with series lows of 2.2 mil and 0.6 (and a “C+” grade), down from its previous premiere (3.5 mil/1.0), finale (3 mil/0.7) and season average (3.1 mil/0.8). Opening Fox’s night, Rosewood (3.1 mil/0.6) dipped a tenth in its Friday debut.

ABC’s lineup hit season highs across the board. Last Man Standing (7.7 mil/1.5) led Friday in the demo, surging 25 percent from its last fresh episode to mark a two-year high. Dr. Ken (5.5 mil/1.1) in turn was up 22 percent, while Shark Tank (5.9 mil/1.4) grew 40 percent.

CBS’ MacGyver (8.5 mil/1.2) rose two tenths, while Hawaii Five-0 (10 mil/1.2) and Blue Bloods (10.7 mil/1.3) each ticked up one tenth. Five-0 delivered a best-since-premiere audience, while Blue Bloods hit and tied season highs.

The CW’s double pump of Crazy Ex did 700K/0.2 and then 550K/0.2.

1. Sleepy Hollow was horrible last night, and not just because Abby was gone. Seems like the writers are just phoning it in at this point.

• Michelle says:

Totally disagree. It was much better than I was expecting and the writing was far superior to most of what they put out last season.

• Cali says:

I agree as well Michelle. I thought it was a good start and am willing to continue with it to see where it goes.

• John Jacob says:

a lot of people just aren’t going to give it a chance now that Abby is gone. They won’t say that’s why, but I’m confident they will automatically dislike it. The show last night was better than anything written in 2016 for Sleepy Hollow. Can we forget that those episodes Abby was in the cave even exist?? That would be more of the writers phoning it in.

• drhenning says:

I fully agree that SH was pretty good last night.. Too bad it’s on opposite of H50 which I really enjoy but I watched SH on DVR last night.. Of course it will be lower on Friday nights compared to where it was on Mondays… Loved the reset and the new characters… All they need now is Fox Mulder to show up!!

• reddkl says:

I agree completely. The new characters have great promise IMO.

• foxy says:

I’m confused and it seems so boring this season

2. A says:

Are those ratings good for Emerald City? I really liked both the episodes. And I hope Hulu or Netflix picks up Crazy Ex-Girlfriend for season 3.

• Brian says:

Retaining Grimm’s audience/increasing in the demo is a really good sign for Emerald City. They are likely happy with a 1.0 demo on a Friday considering that’s what The Blacklist got on Thursday.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Not so sure how happy NBC is getting a 1.0 for a show that seems to cost a lot of money to make.

• P Diddily says:

I agree. How is a new show that has not had a chance to shed the inevitable chunk of viewers that only tune in for the premiere getting the same ratings as one getting cancelled after this season due to low ratings(I would assume) a really good sign?

3. Byron says:

Gotta say, I thought Sleepy Hollow was very good – had a definite reboot feel, and gave a sense of X Files meets Scooby Doo, but still, I am looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

BTW, question: Are ratings affected by blackout areas? In my area, we have been w/out NBC since the beginning of the year (due to some battle between them and DTV, apparently) so no Good Place, no Blacklist, no Emerald City (which I had very much been looking forward to seeing so I can decide for myself whether TVLine’s general skewering is merited… ;-) and worst of all – unless something changes soon, no This Is Us!

So, the question again: Is there any effect due to this?

• Cali says:

When they went into “The Vault” it had almost a “Hellboy” feel to it (minus of course Abe and Hellboy) but I thought there was a lot to build on. I hope word of mouth about it gets out and that slowly viewership builds.

• KLS says:

My guess is that yes, if there are Nielson families in the blackout area, ratings will be affected. I think it’s regional/local affiliates though. I have DirecTV and I watched Blindspot live just fine, so the impact could be minimal.
      I bet they’ll fix it in time for the fooball game though…

4. kmw says:

Cleary ABC and CBS get their viewers to come back, both networks had a good night. FOX on the other hand tries a ” re boot” and puts a an already flailing show in front of said re boot. Add in no promos and you see why FOX only has Empire and Lethal Weapon right now. What did FOX expect really from these moves and from Sleepy coming back with big changes. They better start praying 24 can do well after it goes to its normal night. Emerald City I don’t what NBC expected but it did ok for a Friday show

5. Angela says:

Sleepy Hollow should be called “Sleepy, Hollow.” Bottom of the barrel. Grasping at straws. Renewed for syndication. Stuck in a contract.

Kill it with fire.

• Ben says:

Or, just kill it on your remote, you know, that nasty, sticky beer and ketchup coated thing with the buttons that’s crammed in your chair between arm and seat cushion. It always bewilders me when people want a show completely gone if they don’t like it. I hate lamb chops but I don’t want the world’s sheep herds destroyed. I just buy pork chops instead. This way, everyone’s happy, as the world SHOULD be. Unless your Meryl Streep. What a twisted LOSER!!! She should Make Hollywood Great again and retire.

6. Lexi says:

I’m so done with Sleepy Hollow after what they did to Abbie Mills and show quality increasingly declined every season. I hope it gets cancelled so Tom Mison can move on to something else before it kills his career completely.

7. Jake says:

Sleepy doesn’t work anymore. The premise of the show is gone. Most of the characters that originated are gone the town of sleepy hollow is not featured in the show anymore and the head writers and creators are gone. I never thought I’d say I would leave this show I was such a fan and stayed through the end of season 3. Good luck sleepy heads that are staying with the series.

• Amy says:

So you don’t like the show anymore, ok, so don’t watch it. But please don’t put the rest of us down. I watch the shows that I watch to be entertained, not to analyze and criticize. I enjoyed the season premiere and look forward to the new direction. (And yes, I as well miss Abby)

• herman1959 says:

I’m not sure why you feel put down because all Jake said was good luck to those staying with the series. Lighten up, it’s just a TV show. Enjoy.

• Lara says:

Okay but he @Jake didn’t’ put anyone down and said NOTHING about Abby, so???

8. We loved the show and will totally stick with it. The plot ideas are good, we liked the new cast also, alot of fresh faces and it was good to see ‘Jenny’ back once more. We’re happily looking forward to the season!

9. The ratings for Grimm at this point are irrelevant. The show will run out it’s current season and end regardless of the ratings.

It’s doubtful that the ratings for Sleepy Hollow will pick up. It should be it’s last year. I did find the show was a little lighter in tone than in the past, but it’s like they’re trying to start a new show cashing in on the Sleepy Hollow name. It should be an absolutely horrendous season, which might just make it worth watching.

10. The writing did seem a bit better, but you have to remember that’s a season premiere so there’s more attention paid to the writing. But they still seem to be copying what they’ve done in the past with a big bad villain who controls demons.

It looks like FOX wants another X-Files so badly they’re trying to turn Sleepy Hollow into another X-Files. There’s just nothing new here and it appears we’re going to get a monster-of-the-week show with some super-villain pumping them out then only doing anything significant in the season finale, just like they did last year.

11. Diane Burke says:

The new Sleepy Hollow would have done much better if Fox had advertised it more. Felt like I had to chase it around and it was well worth the chase. Unfortunately I have many friends who had no clue it was back. Get with it, Fox. It’s a good show.

12. GraceM says:

Maybe these ratings will finally convince FOX to end Sleepy Hollow like they should have at the end of season three.

• ? says:

Perhaps Fox should spend more time advertising the show instead of constantly showing commercials for Sugar, the Empire wannabe. Hate to break it to you–there are people out here who enjoy the show and hope it continues. Don’t like it? Fine don’t watch it–try to keep your venom to yourself…

13. Manuel Green says:

sleepy hollow started dying from s3..no straight storyline

14. Jackie says:

Grimm was the best show on Friday nights.The combo of Grimm and Emerald City work very well together. Shame Grimm was cancelled.

15. Manny says:

Too many shows are on Friday. Why not put Sleepy Hollow on another night. Hawaii Five 0 has a strong audience and people were checking out Emerald City What chance does Sleepy hollow have..

16. sunshine says:

Blue Blood deserves it. This is one show that never fails to deliver. Sleepy was pretty good but they’ve managed to lose fans with all the bad writing so it may take a while for the word to get out that the cheerful chasing of monster of the week is back. Plus the new cast can actually act which will help a lot.

17. I bet Nick takes away Sean Renard’s powers.

18. Gerlinde says:

Don’t take my Grimm away. I love this show and everyone on it..It’s the best show ever…

19. Gerlinde says:

You canceled the wrong show..Leave Grimm on and get rid half the other crap that’s on..At least kids can watch this show. It’s the best ever…I’m so Grimm..

20. betty says:

I wish Fox would pick up NBC;s Grimm. Still don’t understand why they cancelled this show!!

• Gerlinde says:

Me neither, it’s like my favorite show. I’m not one for these reality shows, or the bachelor, I love the Grimm. I’m German, come on…..Every show I like they take off and replace with some crappy show…Don’t let Grimm go, pleaseeeeeee…

21. foxy says:

I will not be watching this show no more I was looking for Abby I left the season but I was trying to come back and will not be back.