Bates Motel's Final Season Gets (Early) Premiere Date at A&E

Bates Motel is reopening a few weeks early.

A&E’s sublime Psycho prequel will kick off its fifth and final season on Monday, Feb. 20 at 10/9c, a rep for the cable net confirms to TVLine. The series has traditionally premiered in mid-March.

The 10-episode swan song “is, in a way, the funniest” season yet, “[with] the most dark comedy,”  showrunner Kerry Ehrin revealed to Yahoo TV, adding, “I would say it still somehow manages to be weirdly life affirming.”

As previously reported, pop star/actress Rihanna will recur in Season 5 as Marion Crane, the iconic, ill-fated character that Janet Leigh played in Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. “She was an incredibly sweet and hard working person, and we couldn’t be more thrilled,” Ehrin told Yahoo. “The episodes that she’s in were very much designed to be like a collision between Psycho and Bates Motel, and, really, it’s the first and only time we’ve ever truly stepped into Psycho.”

Bates Motel‘s farewell season will also give fans a front row seat to the “Mother” in Norman’s head (since the one outside his head is, you know, dead). “We’re gonna get to spend more time with her now,” Ehrin told TVLine over the summer at Comic-Con.

1. Brian says:

Can’t wait, but will miss Norma being alive.

• Carlos says:

I’m glad they are ending the series in part, because of Norma’s death. I’m sure we’ll see the actress but it will not be the same.

• dude says:

Well, it’s not really supposed to be. The creators had always intended for this show to go five seasons so in killing her off in season four, they’re setting up for the final act of the series, ramping up the stakes and setting up for Norman’s final transformation.

• Lady Di says:

You’re crazy. There no good reason for Bates Motel to end. I for one, and I don’t think I’m alone, wish so much it isn’t ending.

• Myra F Henry says:

Same here!

2. Joey Padron says:

Happy news the final new season will premiere a few weeks earlier! Can’t wait to see the new season next month!

3. TV Gord says:

I think this final season is going to be brilliant! I can’t wait for it to start, and I’m grateful that I won’t have to wait as long as thought I would!

4. Et al says:

I trust this show completely but “nice and hard working” don’t get me thinking Rihanna will be getting Emmy buzz for her performance. ..

• dude says:

Well, having seen her “act” in other things, I’m expecting a performance in-line with Lady Gaga’s on American Horror Story where she’s really just playing herself.

5. Fan says:

I can’t wait. My only hope is that Dylan & Emma get a somewhat happy ending.

• Brian says:

Yes! Every time they’re on screen I’m afraid for them! I like Dylan and Emma but I don’t want them to be on the show at all this season because it means that they’re safe up in Washington.

• McSatan says:

I feel the same way. Emma is my favorite character on the show and I know the writers are going to have me worried right up to the very end.

6. Angela says:

I can’t believe we’re at the final season already! Sigh.
    But I’m looking very forward to seeing how the show wraps things up, and I’m happy that it’s coming back a little sooner this time around, too! Can’t wait for February, then!

7. Matt C. says:

Bates has been my favorite show on TV since its very first season. It’s one of the few shows that I’ve actually watched live since day 1, so I’m very sad to see it go, but I know this final season is going to be fantastic! I’m so glad they got to carry out their original 5-season plan for the series.

8. Jazz says:

I’m both excited and sad about the show returning. It’s my favorite show and so amazingly written and acted but I’m devastated that it’s ending. I’m expecting this season to be the best one yet and I’ll miss it once the show is over.

9. Vicki says:

I wIsh this series was not ending. One of the only TV programs I always look forward to and watched each week

10. Norma lorraine Tango says:

Can’t wait for show watched every series don’t want it to be the last

11. Great show and really well done.

12. Sharon Hobbs says:

I’m going to really miss the show! I’m really a die hard fan of this show! Everyone done such a fantastic job! Will be missed!

13. tammy craig says:

I always remembered the show starting in January of every year. I think Marion Crane should be a blonde like in the original movie. It is insulting to cast someone different. This season won’t be good like the other seasons.

• Myra F Henry says:

This is not the original movie so what difference does it make if she’s a blonde or not?! This is 2017, Go Rihanna!!

14. Mandy says:

I am very sad that Bates is being cancelled. It is SO addicting. Season 4 was such a rush. Too bad.

15. bridget says:

Can not wait,very cool show.I wanna know if they will rerun the episode considering they are on at 10pm.and it’s kinda late and I don’t have the option of recording them or watching them online either.sucks it’s the last season.ive enjoyed this show..every season!!

16. Kat says:

It’s great.. Love love.. Will miss very much. It’s hard to stay awake till 10pm.. Lol. I don’t remember the show coming on that late.

17. Chelsi-Anna says:

Did Bates Motel really get canceled at season five?

18. Chrysanthemum says:

I’m sad to see it go. I really enjoy watchig it. Norma finally got married and found her happiness even though it was for health insurance in the beginning

19. Chrysanthemum says:

• Sandy says:

Great series. Always tape it that way I can watch the previous one and go right into the new one. Best acting I’ve seen in a long long time. Will be miased

20. Lisa Mangione Green says:

I don’t want it to end! I will miss you all very much!