Will & Grace Revival Ordered for 10 Episodes, Actor Leslie Jordan Says

NBC has yet to officially announce it’s moving forward with a Will & Grace revival, but Karen Walker’s beloved frenemy may have just let the cat out of the bag.

leslie-jordanIn a recent interview with radio station KPBS, Leslie Jordan — who won an Emmy for his role as Beverly Leslie — came forth and insisted that NBC has already commissioned a 10-episode follow-up to begin shooting next summer.

“It’s back,” Jordan said. “Here’s the way it works: [NBC] has ordered 10 [episodes]. It’ll be for next season, so they’ll go in in July.”

Back in October, TVLine reported that NBC was in preliminary talks with the sitcom’s six principal players — series creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, and stars Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Megan Mullally and Sean Hayes — about doing a limited-run of original episodes. Buzz about a potential revival came in response to the release of a 10-minute, present-day, election-themed video which found the Emmy-winning quartet reprising their roles in support of Hillary Clinton.

NBC declined to comment for this story.

Are you psyched for new W&G episodes? Or have you had enough of the recent TV revival trend?

1. Leigh says:

It is a great idea for networks to put revivals on in the summer…gives fans more of their favorite shows and doesn’t cost so much.

• Nikres says:

I would think revivals would cost more as these are actors who were making top dollar when shows went off air, and most of these will have a guaranteed built in audience, at least at the start. Also, the claim is they are filming in the summer, so it will probably air in fall or possibly winter.

• Chris says:

But none of them have had huge success outside of Megan mullaly so I would imagine there actually cheaper than the last season of the show would have been at least cast wise.

• Jennifer says:

Seriously, where do you get your information? All 4 of the cast have done well after the show. I still miss Perception!!!

• Brad says:

Uhh, no. ALL have had shows that lasted 2 seasons, tops (Perception being the lone exception). All canceled. All failures.

• Fairmont1955 says:

Sean Hayes has a production company that has been successful. Can’t forget off-screen efforts.

• rowan77 says:

They have all been working consistently with multiple TV series and films. No one in the cast has spent any time NOT working either on TV, Film or stage since W&G ended. Eric McCormack has done one miniseries and six series – including the one he stars in now, Debra Messing has done 16 projects including a mini-series, three TV series and a bunch of films, Sean Hayes opened his own production company had is the executive producer of 17 TV shows and films as well as starred in two TV series and starred on Broadway to great reviews. I think you may not know of what you speak.

• rowan77 says:

All network multi-cam sitcoms come back in July. They start shooting somewhere between the end of July and August and work three weeks (3 episodes), and one week hiatus each month until the holidays hit, then start again in January. Nothing new here at all. Now if they started working in March-April (the start of summer hiatus for everyone else) and produced all ten episodes in the summer, THAT would be a change.

• Brad says:

Shooting in the summer does not mean airing in the Summer.

2. Steven says:

Writing in Debbie Reynold’s death is gonna hurt.

• Cassie says:

Or the perfect reason to have a reunion.

• I never watched the show, but from what I understand the finale had a bunch of time jumps, correct? Did they address the parents at all during that point?

If so, they might have to just pretend she’s alive.

• Summer says:

I really do wonder how they’re gonna reconcile the time jumps, because that very much had an air of finality to it. It’s not like Boy Meets World, Gilmore Girls, or Full House, because those shows never jumped to the future in their final episodes.

3. jj. says:

I was hoping the 10 minute reunion would amount to some sort of revival so I am beyond excited for this!

4. Monique says:

LOVE THIS, hopefully this will happen!!!

5. Sara says:

So, are we just supposed to pretend that the finale didn’t happen and Will and Grace didn’t go 20 years without talking to each other?

• flutiefan says:

yes. I pretend that all the time!

• Donna2712 says:

I know, either they need to set it in the future and the actors wear aging makeup (except Karen) or make the finale a dream!

• Yolanda says:

It’s sitcom. They don’t have to be conisistent with timeline or plotline. They’re here to entertain us. Just look at Absolutely Fabulous. That show had like one hundred series finales! They always returned with another season after couple years and pretended series finales never happened. I hope W&G do the same. Hell I pretend for years that series finale never existed lol!

• rowan77 says:

I pretty much just ignore the 8th season as if the show ended with season 7.

6. Brad says:

All 4 main stars have had SO many TV failures that they have to come back and do a season of a show that should stay dead? Sean Hayes is a notorious show killer (RIP The Millers and Up All Night)

7. Haz says:

My question is how would Leslie Jordan know? I couldn’t see NBC contacting him until they have stories mapped out and know for sure they are bringing Beverly Leslie back or not. I think it would be a mistake to not bring him back, but considering the main 4 haven’t said anything it makes me question this. Let’s be honest when it comes to social media Debra Messing is very vocal on a number of things, so I could see her announcing this before anyone else. Also I know most of the cast were pushing for Netflix so it could be a little more risqué. However last year around this time Rondi Reed announced the cancellation of Mike and Molly before the network did so who knows?

8. Kristina says:

I’d love this, but hopefully they ignore the events of the finale–that was terrible.

• Butch says:

They don’t have to worry about what happened in the finale. They can always say Barry Allen changed things because of Flashpoint. People should quit worrying about everything being consistent with what happened in previous episodes. Who cares as long as they write good stories and funny episodes.

9. MMD says:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY! I so hope this happens. I can’t tell you how many times I have watched the entire series as it airs Saturday mornings 4-6 eps at a time, while I am doing other things. I still laugh out loud at least once an episode.
    I hope that this is the start of good news for 2017 (which it already is in a lot of places) after this horrific 2016 ends.

10. S says:

I loved the Gilmore Girls revival because it was absolutely an unfinished story. What more would they tell?

11. My Mother likes this show and She said It will be a mistake bringing them back only because they will turn it into a Anti Trump Anti GOP hate fest, this is a different time and the message will get lost.. Besides Karen and Jack are the real stars.

12. Walkie says:

Network TV continues to show that they are completely bankrupt for new ideas.

13. Ella says:

I would love this, as long as they don’t screw up the original ending. I loved Bobby Canavale as Vince but he’s a busy bee no-a-days so I don’t want to see Will divorced or miserable or with anyone else. That being said, Will and Grace went almost 20 years without speaking to each other so if we’re kicking off the sequel with the bad aging make-up and white streaked hair, I’m not sure this is going to work… A re-write perhaps?

14. Max says:

If I were one of the producers, I would make sure Leslie Jordan was not written into any of the 10 episodes for spilling the beans. … Unless that’s the way they planned it all along in case there was fallout. 🤔