Shadowhunters Spoilers

Shadowhunters EPs Tease Sebastian's (Eventual) Arrival in Season 2

Shadowhunters returns for its second season on Monday (Freeform, 8/7c), offering new twists for its core group of fan-favorite characters — but what about the fan-favorites we haven’t even met yet?

I’m talking, of course, about Sebastian [last name redacted to avoid potential spoilers], one of Mortal Instruments author Cassandra Clare’s most twisted creations. Shadowhunters‘ Powers That Be have already confirmed on social media that we’ll meet him in the second half of Season 2, but what else can they say? (As it turns out, not much.)

“If you know the history of the character, you know where he grew up — in hell — and how he was raised,” new executive producer Matt Hastings tells TVLine. “It’s important for us to cast somebody who, similarly to Valentine, can embrace that duality.”

Getting a bit more spoiler-y, Hastings adds, “We need someone who can be compassionate, and who may seem like a decent person on the surface. But anybody that’s been tortured that much in the bowels of hell by a demon… man, they did terrible things to him. They tore his skin off, layer by layer. That kind of dramatic resonance never goes away from a person, no matter how you shellac it.”

As for any further details, new showrunner Darren Swimmer says, “We want to keep the details of how Sebastian emerges on the show … a little bit close to the vest. He’s definitely going to be a charming character with a dark side.”

Your hopes for Shadowhunters‘ version of Sebastian? Any casting suggestions? (If Chris Wood wasn’t busy with Supergirl, I’d gladly throw his name into the mix.) Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Pat says:

I would love Cameron Monaghan as Sebastian, but I think he’s gonna be busy with Shameless.

• Lynne says:

Not only Shameless, but also when he drops in and out of Gotham too, provided that they keep bringing Jerome back after his stint in the 2nd half.

2. Haz says:

Can someone tell me did this get better by the season finale? I stopped watching it halfway through, before the wedding because I just could not get past certain things. However I was thinking about finishing it on Hulu before the episodes expire if it’s worth it.

• clarice83 says:

It improved, but within the spirit that accompanied the whole season, had its twists and turns but I believe the second season will be better, from what I read and saw the teases.

• Pat says:

Did it get better yes and no. By the half way point i was already emotionally attached to Alec, Magnus and Isabelle, so to me it did get better. But honestly if you don’t find a character you love, it’s not going to get better no matter what. lol.

• J says:

Ummm yes it is!!!!!
      I know this sounds crazy but maybe like benward , cause I can see him smirking ALL the time and being friendly then evil…… maybe 😂

• They had kind of a rough first season in my opinion, probably due somewhat to inexperience and some shows just have to get their footing. It did get a little better near the end of the season, but Season 2 has started and it is definitely better.
      I am loving the music during the fight scenes, the darker content, and the fact that they’ve made it a bit more edgy as well.

3. Thinking more like Richard Harmon aka Murphy from the 100

4. Erin says:

How about Noel fisher

5. Josh says:

Worst show on tv? Probably!

6. Jc says:

Whoever casted clary needs to stay away from the casting decision for sebastian. Yes he needs to be similar to chris woods acting as kai. Damn dont know anyone right. But they better not mess this up.

• ChrisGa says:

Totally agree. I enjoy the show but she’s the weak link for me; wish they had an actress with a stronger, more appealing screen presence in that role.

7. Isabella says:

Bill Skarsgard for sure!

8. syrosis says:

What… the things Matt says about Sebastian are not book canon… not even close… is this going to be tv show canon? If so, he just spoiled us big time… yikes.

9. savahanna says:

I think that Joey graceffa. The u tube star should play Sebastian.It might also get some of his fans to watch!

10. Vee says:

I can see Bill Skarsgård as Sebastian

11. Debbie says:

Jamie campbell bowers

12. Alec says:

Bill Skarsgard!

• Kathy says:

How about Dylan O’Brian. He was great when possessed by a Nogitsune in Teen Wolf.

• Misti says:

They’re already having trouble with Dylan’s schedule on Teen Wolf, so I can’t see him taking on another TV show right now. Sadly, since I really like seeing him on my tv!

13. Dani says:

Yes, he’s busy but Chris Wood would be awesome (Sebastian has personality similar to Kai’s from TVD) but at the same time Chris is like my dream choice for Will Herondale, since he narrated one of the Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy audiobook, anything could happen.

14. diya says:

Huh….am I missing something? A lot needs to happen story-wise before Sebastian crops up, definitely not before season 3. I think Austin Butler would make a good Sebastian, but he’s still on Shannara Chronicles.

15. H says:

Sebastian wasn’t tortured in the bowels of hell. That is a completely different story from the book. He’s half demon but he was raised on earth by his father wtf?

• racoughlin says:

Thank you! I’ve been looking through the comments for someone to point this out. The whole point of Sebastian is (spoiler) it doesn’t matter how he was raised, he’s still evil because of the demon blood. Valentine kept him in another house to Jace in the books, he wasn’t tortured in hell lol. Why do they have to change everything?

16. Brianna says:

You should cast Ian Somerhalder as Subatian plz he is the best. And if not him cast Nathaniel Buzolic to play Subatian

17. Grace cotten says:

Lucky blue smith or bill skarsgard

18. Camilla says:

Conor McLain

19. Sunanda says:

Conor McLain has been quite popularly before and I kind of see him as being a horrible person
    He looks good with blonde hair
    But the one problem is that we haven’t seen him with brown hair before and I’m not sure if his face is one clary would trust
    Plus can the dude actually act?

20. Codi Hanthorn says:

Matt Barr would be perfect

21. Tyla says:

I would totally want Chris Wood to play Sebastian. He’d be goddamn perfect for the role. *cries*

22. luliz says:

Bill Skarsgard or Lucky Blue Smith please!

23. Why do I have to have wordpress? I don’t need another e-mail.I want to know who is responsible for crappy programming on cw50 Illinois. It said it was separated so they didn’t have to bump shows for sports.we’ll 50 already had hockey and college football I’m waiting for I zombie was this not done so we could see are show’s without interruption. I know some may get mad at me but come on there’s over 45 NFL and ESPN and MSNBC 4 sports.

24. I think that james paxton will be a great choice for sebastian.

25. I think James Paxton would play I great Sebastian

26. AlliDone says:

Why are they saying “if you know the history” of the Sebastian character, do they mean the Sebastian character from the book? Because the backstory about him being raised in hell and have his skin peeled…. that’s not what the backstory is at all. Sebastian didn’t have the humanity tortured out of him because he was in hell and there were demons, he’s part demon and never had any humanity to begin with.

I’m glad I skipped out of this show after episode 2, it may have gotten better but the casting choice for Clary was so awful and the changes they were making in regards to Clary’s mother and some other things just turned me off the entire show. I’d rather keep the book in my imagination than see the characters and story destroyed by horrible acting and a bad interpretation of the storyline. I’m still not over that travesty of a film.

27. Bridget says:

I think Burkely Duffield could make a good Sebastian.

28. Bridget says:

Lucas Till

29. Rachel OBrien says:

please let it be bill skarsgard x

30. Molly says:

It is way too early to bring Sebastian into the show and he was not raised in hell. Freeform please stick to the book a little more.

31. Elisa says:

Taylor Lautner

32. Pgs says:

Stick to the books changing the story makes mostly people not like the show DON’T RUSH TO THE LAST BOOK !

33. Cali says:

I pictured Jake Abel ever since they introduced Sebastian in the books. Look it up and see if you agree with me.

34. Risa says:

I think I figured out who is playing Sebastian already! If you look at IMDB’s cast list for episode 9, there is one cast member who is listed as “TBA”-Josh Horvath.
    I’m guessing of course, but is it possible that they bring him in at the end of season 2A …cliffhanger anyone? I could be way off, but that’s my guess.
    Also, Alan Van Sprang (Valentine) disappears from the cast list in episode 11…I’ll just leave you all to ponder that now.