General Hospital Vet Books Homeland Arc, Prompting Spinelli Recast

General Hospital vet Bradford Anderson is heading to Showtime’s Homeland, necessitating a recasting of Spinelli.

On Homeland, which opens its New York City-based Season 6 on Sunday, Jan. 15, the five-time Daytime Emmy nominee says he will appear in multiple episodes; characters details were not available during this holiday week.

Due to the scheduling conflict, Days of Our Lives alum Blake Berris will step into the role of GH‘s Spinelli for a few episodes starting in mid-January, a spokesperson for the ABC sudser confirms.

Addressing the recast sitch, Anderson said on his Facebook page that landing a gig on Homeland, a show he has “watched and loved since it began,” is “pretty exciting. The unfortunate part is that it conflicted with some episodes of GH that I was supposed to do, and I had to back out of those episodes. To make it even worse, it all happened last minute. I put GH in a very difficult position and for that I am incredibly sorry.

“GH took whatever steps they needed to proceed without me,” by swapping in Berris, he continued. “My plea to you is to be compassionate, understanding, and appreciative of whatever decisions they made. If anything looks or sounds different than you’re used to, understand that it’s because of a decision that I made. The situation was created by ME.”

In addition to his run as Days‘ Nick Fallon, Berris’ TV credits include episodes of Pretty Little Liars, Supergirl and The Starter Wife.

1. Diane says:

Good for him!

• Big Cheddar says:

Exactly! He isn’t on contract or recurring status on the show, so what can they do. This is a really high profile opportunity- he’s gotta go for it.

2. wrstlgirl says:

That’s great news for both actors. Curious to see Blake’s style of Spinelli. Tough shoes to fill but I’m sure he’ll do great!!

3. Fan says:

Wow. OLD news. This has been well known in the soap world for at least a week now!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Holidays, but I thought BA deserved the mainstream coverage, “late” or not. (Plus, I was waiting/hoping to get details on his Homeland character.) But I can easily delete this, just say the word, RS….

• wrstlgirl says:

I had already read about it but was stoked to see it here. BA definitely deserves the attention.

• N says:

No! Please don’t,

• Diane says:

I think it is great that you and tvline give coverage to soaps and their actors . I know you are/ were soap fans and/or reporters.

• Traditionalist says:

No, no, don’t delete, I’m glad he got the attention though. You guys are truly the best out there…just a shame you didn’t get it first as you do most things.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There are entire magazines and websites that cover [the four] soap operas and nothing but [the four] soap operas. They absolutely should be getting the scoop on such things.

• I love that actors who are on daytime shows get coverage in publications such as this one whether it be later or not. For the longest time, there has been this unfair stigma around those who act in daytime and those who watch daytime, but it does feel that slowly that stigma is being stripped away.

• jj says:

I appreciate your post. I had heard of Berris filling in but I didn’t know the reason behind it until I read your post.

• Big Cheddar says:

Really, Fan? Other than a few rumors on fan boards, I didn’t see any official confirmation of this until Monday. Most soap sites reported this on Monday as well. I’m just glad a mainstream TV site is mentioning it at all.

4. Good for the actor, but as of now I can’t really want to see anyone else play the role.

5. mollytanner says:

Happy for Bradford. I wish Blake were on a show like Homeland he deserves to be a star he was outstanding on DAYS.

6. Kevin says:

Blake Berris would be great stepping in for the Bradford Anderson role of Spinelli on GH starting next month. Really sad when Blake’s character Nick Fallon got killed off on Days of Our Lives and I did remember him when he had a guest starring role on Breaking Bad.

7. As much as I’ve loved watching BA in this role, I’m excited to see what Blake Berris does with Spinelli even if only for a few episodes. For those GH fans who aren’t familiar with him you are in for a treat.

8. GILDA J DOZIER says:

You will be missed my friend. 😥😘

9. Dallas Saunders says:

That’s unfortunate for those of us that are faithful GH fans~ like myself for as long as I can remember. I even bought Spineli’s book years ago and was so hoping to have him autograph it one day. I really find it hard to believe the character of Spineli can be replaced. But then again I had a hard time when Stephen Burton aka Jason Morgan could be replaced. And the new Jason is ok~ but it’s still not the same. But I continue to be that GH fan. Only daytime soap I record. I tried watching the other soap that Stephen Burton went to but the character was not like Jason~ and I couldn’t watch it anymore. Just like if Sonny left GH he could never be replaced. Don’t care for this Nelly character at all.. The show needs to get back to being exciting again..

10. Stephanie Cooper says:

No I like the one now

11. Mary says:

I will give him a chance, it is only temporary, and kudos for Bradford getting a spot on a prime time show. When someone fills in I never expect it to be the same but sometimes it introduces me to other talented actors. As the saying goes, the show must go on.

12. Angela Boaen says:

You have too do what makes you happy. You only live once.

13. andrew hass says:

I’m happy for Bradford Anderson because this could lead to other things for him.Plus i think Bradford understands why GH s temporarily recasting Spinelli because they have plans for the character.

14. Paula says:

I have no animosity towards BA but Blake Berris is a major upgrade (in appearance and acting). Wish Blake could land a steady primetime gig that would garner him the attention Justin Hartley has found with This Is Us. It should also be noted that Blake Berris is not only an actor but he is a gifted scriptwriter, producer and director (as is Hartley)!

15. Connie says:

Please move the lulu/charlotte/valentine story along. Seems as though it’s becoming bogged down
    Ditto for the Carly/Nel storyline.

16. Roxan Demeza says:

I am happy for the actor…So sad for Spinelli fans.

17. Sue says:

I want BA back. This guy may be a great actor; but Spinellis quirkiness was my draw to the character.

18. janet says:

dearest bradford: you made the role of spinelli incredibly literate, classic but edgy…i mean, how many other soap stars get to say things like FORSOOTH?? thanks for all the laughs and fun.

19. Belinda says:

NO ONE can replace Bradford Anderson as Spinelli….NO ONE! Sure hope he returns to GH.

20. Marguerite says: