Debbie Reynolds Dead at 84

Debbie Reynolds Dead at 84, Day After Daughter Carrie Fisher's Passing

Debbie Reynolds, famed film and TV actress and the mother of Carrie Fisher, died on Wednesday following a stroke. She was 84 years old.

“I miss her so much, I want to be with Carrie,” Reynolds said hours before her stroke, son Todd Fisher shared with TMZ.

TMZ reported that Reynolds was rushed to the hospital on Wednesday afternoon after suffering a “medical emergency” at Todd Fisher’s Beverly Hills home. Reynolds and her son were reportedly discussing funeral plans for her daughter Carrie, who died just one day earlier, following a heart attack.

VIDEO: Carrie Fisher Presents Debbie Reynolds With
Lifetime Achievement Award at 2015 SAG Awards

Reynolds was a major Hollywood star in the 1950s and ’60s, starring in films such as Singin’ in the Rain (“Good Morning” clip embedded below), Tammy and the Bachelor and The Unsinkable Molly Brown (which earned her an Oscar nomination in 1964).  She was also a chart-topping singer and a Tony-nominated stage actress.

On the small screen, Reynolds starred in NBC’s The Debbie Reynolds Show during the 1969-70 season, earning a Golden Globe nomination. She went on to play Grace’s outrageous mother Bobbi Adler on Will & Grace — scoring an Emmy nod in 2000 — and Liberace’s mother Frances in HBO’s acclaimed 2013 TV movie Behind the Candelabra. She also starred as witch “Aggie” Cormwell in Disney Channel’s Halloweentown TV movies in the late ’90s and early 2000s.

Debbie Reynolds with Gene Kelly and Donald O’Connor in Singin’ in the Rain:

1. rebecca says:

this is so unbelievably sad

2. Tennisnsun says:

Wow. This is surreal! Rip

3. Sarah says:

Oh wow! 😢

4. abz says:

This is absolutely tragic. The stress of a mother losing her daughter must be so unbearable. RIP Debbie Reynolds. I’m still in my 20s so I haven’t been exposed to all of her work yet but I’ll forever remember her as Aggie Comwell from the Halloweentown movies that I watched dozens of times growing up. My condolences to the family.

• PatriciaLee says:

My friend who lost a son in his 40’s says the loss is always with you. It’s just sometimes you don’t think about it. What a loss for us all. She was brilliant, and I feel so fortunate to have grown up with her work on the screen. The Unsinkable Molly Brown’s song, “I Ain’t Down Yet” gave me courage to live life, coming from a rough start. She touched my heart as Helen’s mother on Wings in 1993, as I sat on the couch watching the episode with my beloved husband, thanking her for having blessed my life with her enthusiasm and hope in the film 30 years earlier.

• Jean says:

So sad. Debbie Reynolds has always been one of my favorites. I have watched all her movies, her TV shows, Saw her in Las Vegas. And was on a flight home from Las Vegas with her. She kept everyone laughing. Such a loss. We have again lost so many wonderful talents this year. And how sad for her that the day before that she lost her daughter, Carrie Fisher. Now they are together again.

• Abz, I’m 57 now and loved the original “Halloween Town” movie. She was perfect as Aggie.

• Ray says:

The silver lining is that she only had to be a grieving mother who suffered an incredible loss for a day

5. Judi says:

Unbelievable….So Sad…. Thoughts and Prayers for the surviving family.

6. Cas says:

I imagine the stess and sadness of losing a child was just unbearable. She lived a long good life and now she is with her daughter.

7. webly3 says:

I can’t take this. It’s so sad. :(

8. Dannie C says:

So sad & heartbreaking. Sending love to there family

9. kmw says:

This is terrible and so sad for her and their family. May they both rest in peace

10. This is unbelievably sad. First one icon, then another, who are in fact Mother\
    Daughter. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of both of these remarkable people.

11. Katrinka says:

Carrie spoke about her mother’s poor health & her fear that their documentary wouldn’t get finished. Who could have imagined such a horribly sad end to their story? May they both rest in peace.

12. Big Cheddar says:

Oh man – my heart is breaking for both her son and granddaughter. I believe she wasn’t in the best health the last few years – she even skipped the oscars this year and she received an honorary one – but Carrie’s unexpected passing must have been too much to bear.

13. Jared says:

Wow..this is unbelievably sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to Billie and the rest of her family and fans.

14. Brian says:

So So Sad. Can’t believe we lost both mother and daughter in just 2 days.

Rest in Peace Debbie.

15. Ray says:

Poor Billie Lourd

16. datdudemurphy says:

Too much tragedy for one family….thoughts and prayers go out to them

17. haole guy says:

So sad…but we do have their movies for memories….

18. I loved her in so many movies (“Singin’ In The Rain” and “Tammy and the Bachelor” to name but two) & on TV in “Will & Grace”. In more recent years I loved her in “In & Out” as mom to Kevin Klein’s Howard Brackett.

19. Debbie fiske says:

I was named after Debbie. She was my moms idol as well as mine. Rip Debbie we love you and your daughter

20. Angela says:

What a tragic week. Deepest condolences to her family, friends, and fans.

21. J. Hyacinth says:

My heart. Singing in the Rain brought about my love for movie musicals and Halloween Town was a big part of my formative years :( Her poor family :( Double death :(

22. Debbie fiske says:

We love you Debbie. I was named after you. Rest in peice you will never be forgotten

23. Dave says:

So sad :( I mt her twice she was one of the nicest people I have met RIP

24. iHeart says:

that’s the 5th Rugrats voice actor in almost 24 months (she voiced Tommy and Dil’s step-grandmother Lulu)

25. ninergrl6 says:

Heartbreaking. That poor family. I can’t help thinking that Carrie would probably have some great jokes about her mom passing the day after she did, like “She wouldn’t even let me rest in peace!”

26. Sheriatx says:

I would not give you false hope on this strange and mournful day. When the mother and child reunion is only a motion away. Paul simon

27. tahina says:

Debbie died heart broken..RIP.

28. Raul J says:

This is so sad and tragic, but I can imagine the stress of her daughter’s death was just too much for her to handle.

29. YestoKylie says:

OH Dear Lord! This is unbelievable….

30. Sheila says:

What a miserable week for that poor family!

31. Jan says:

This is beyond sad. How tragic for their family. Unsinkable Molly Brown was the first musical I remember seeing; and I fell in love with the genre, and with Debbie Reynolds.
    RIP, lovely ladies. You will be missed.

32. Kevin says:

MOTHER & DAUGHTER IN HEAVEN. RIP Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher :-(

33. kittycat925 says:

So very tragic; mother and daughter are together again. My deepest sympathies go out to Billie and Todd

34. Sheldon W. says:

Every time I see Singin’ in the Rain, I’m amazed at how seemingly effortlessly she keeps up with Donald O’Connor and Gene Kelly.

35. I am profoundly saddened, but not surprised, by this news. I grew up in the heyday of Debbie Reynolds’ stardom. I was a fan. I was always a fan. Now, Ms. Reynolds is with her beloved daughter. May they both rest in peace, with the thanks of millions of fans for what they gave us.

36. Mary says:

Enough already. 2016 has been the worst year imaginable. I would like to say 2017 has to be better but unfortunately I am not being optimistic about that one either at the moment.

37. Mary Kelly says:

I know Carrie was there to meet her mom when she crossed, they are both together now. May ‘the Force be with them both’..RIP and God Bless you both. By my ‘Tammy’..loved that movie..

38. Leesa says:

Debbie was a strong, classy, fabulously talented woman… She is now with her beloved daughter.. Condolences to her son.. May Debbie rest in peace….