The Good Fight Donald Trump

The Good Wife Spinoff: Trump Victory Forced 11th Hour Script Rewrite

Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King were so certain Hillary Clinton would be elected President that they crafted the premiere of spinoff series The Good Fight around her seemingly inevitable triumph. So Donald Trump’s upset win — which occurred more than a week into production on the first episode — forced the pair to tweak the script literally at the last minute.

“Like most pollsters, we thought Hillary would win the Presidency, so we wrote scenes about Diane retiring from the law because she ‘broke every glass ceiling,'” the Kings told Entertainment Weekly. “Obviously, we needed to rewrite — on the eighth day of shooting.”

Now, the premiere — which will simultaneously bow Sunday, Feb. 19 at 8/7c on CBS the network and the Eye’s streaming service CBS All Access — will open with Diane watching Trump’s inauguration at home on her television (and — spoiler alert! — she’s not happy). “The show tends to be a satire of the liberal mindset,” the Kings explain, “so it felt funny to play off Diane’s stunned reaction to the inauguration.” (Perhaps it will trigger her first F-bomb?)

The Good Fight picks up one year after the events of last May’s Good Wife finale and finds Diane forced to start over at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms (where Cush Jumbo’s Lucca also works) after a huge financial scam has wiped out her entire savings and destroyed the reputation of her goddaughter Maia (played by Game of Thrones actress Rose Leslie).

After the offshoot’s Feb. 19 launch, subsequent Season 1 episodes will be available every Sunday exclusively on CBS All Access.

1. Jake says:

It would have been so much better if they continued and had the show set in an alternate universe where Clinton won the election…

• Mike M says:

More than half the US population can’t accept she lost and many STILL believe she won… so is that really an alternate universe lol. I do though – it would have been very amusing. Now if only we can bring back a few of the Kings other awesome characters… like some bugs and a few cherry blossom trees!

2. Eurydice says:

Ok, this is kind of hilarious.

• Tomm Huntre says:

Totally hilarious!! Nice for a lot of liberals to realize two things:
      Voters aren’t sheep and the Dems screwed themselves running an unlikeable candidate.

3. Mr. Smith says:

Sad that everyone relied on poor polling instead of listening to the people.

4. sunshine says:

The press thought they were helping by proclaiming Hillary the sure winner which made her voters stay home thinking they weren’t needed.

5. KLS says:

An article a day keeps The Good Fight in play.

6. modwildtv says:

The arrogance of Hollywood “forces” a rewrite. Amazingly, nobody can tell the future. Why not have two scripts at the ready if they’re writing based upon an unknown? Seems simple enough.

7. Bill says:

Lol that is awesome

8. Scott says:

Liberal stupidity isn’t it great

• therealjonpalmer says:

Stupidity can be defined by what happened Nov. 8th.
      Look at the Trump voters that will get screwed by his policies AND the Dems that either stayed home or threw their vote away on Stein. It’s like 2000, and Nader, all over again. “Oh, the Dem candidate isn’t progressive enough for me, I’ll vote 3rd party.”
      “WHAT???? I caused the candidate to win who is the polar OPPOSITE of what I wanted. Oh, crap.”

9. Mark says:

I’m so confused by the comments here. You realize this is a gay run liberal esque site right? As a gay man I’m so confused why u even come here and post ridiculous comments like the ones I’m seeing. Your “stupid liberals” as “Scott” said is responsible for many of your shows, movies, websites u like to troll etc. maybe u need to pick and choose better sites to stay in ur bubble.

• LEP says:

I will never post remarks that disparage others, but what I will say is the last I checked, TVline is open to all. I have a pretty good idea of what the owners/editors think.

But here’s the thing. I don’t care. I enjoy watching TV, and I like to read the articles. And I happen to be a conservative female.

And I am pretty sure I am not living in a bubble.

• Steven says:

I do agree with Mark that the comments both above and below are really disgusting. The term libtard especially leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. While people have the right to post their opinions they don’t need to insult others, but then again this is from the people who elected Trump. When they go low, we go high.

• Eurydice says:

One doesn’t have to be a straight Republican to see the humor/irony/hubris in this. The Good Wife has always been about “ripped from the headlines” – but maybe they should have waited until the headlines came out first.

• Tom says:

That you bring up being gay as if it should empower your argument, that being gay gives you some moral highground to lecture the masses, is half the reason people are turning against your politics.

As it is far more offensive than petty name calling.

The Good Wife was incredibly politcally motivated, having political reactions to news about its spin off being changed because of politics is only logical.

Especially as they have less representation on TV then you do. Was there a single Trump supporter on a scripted TV show, let alone one that was not intentionally made to look evil.

Yet the Good Wife and its follow up will be glad to show you your urban progressives, show a false view of America that pleases your politics.

Yet they will still watch, because even in fake Chicago the Democrats are corrupt and rig elections.

• Allie says:

Have you even heard of the Log-Cabin republicans? Educate yourself. Many in the LGBTQ community are republicans and Trump supporters. He won so that tells you just by percentage some LGBTQ voted in a different way than you did and supported him. That is called diversity. You don’t have to accept it, but you should tolerate it. Sometimes you don’t always get your way. Also Aussiello doesn’t seem to divide his viewers but is rather inclusive of all of them. Relax and try to calm down before you stroke out. Trump won, your candidate/s lost. I’m sure in your lifetime there will be other democratic/socialist Presidents. We’ve had both in the past. You should know and understand this.

10. Allie says:

Hahahahah…..smug jerks. I love hearing stuff like this. I don’t watch it, never have but this makes me LOL.

11. Can Diane burn that horrid picture now

12. Mommaknowsbest77 says:

I try to not get involved in political talk, but to have the arrogance to write a script assuming a Presidential election would be won in a certain direction, only to have to re-write the script is the funniest thing I’ve read in a while.