Doctor Who: Meet the New Companion in First Season 10 Trailer

What’s that in your stocking? Oh, it’s a TARDIS.

Ahead of its annual holiday special, Doctor Who on Sunday released the first official trailer from its upcoming Season 10.

In the 50-second spot, the Doctor’s new companion, Bill (played by Pearl Mackie), introduces herself, briefly explains their timey-wimey situation and asks questions. A lot of questions.

Along the way, we see Daleks, strange worlds, a raging war, the return of Matt Lucas (Little Britain) as Nardole, and someone who questions if the Doctor has lost his mind.

“Yes, completely,” the Time Lord answers. “But that’s not a recent thing.”

The upcoming season, which will air in 2017, will be the final one for showrunner Steven Moffat. In January, the series boss said he would leave the series after Season 10. Chris Chibnall (Broadchurch) will take over showrunning duties starting with Season 11.

This year’s Christmas special, Doctor Who: The Return of Doctor Mysterio, airs tonight at 9/8c on BBC America. Justin Chatwin (Orphan Black/Shameless) stars as the titular vigilante.

“What we’ve sort of made here is a new ironic, goodhearted superhero movie… which hopefully they’ll want to repeat every year. As long as I get a cut of it,” star Peter Capaldi joked at this year’s New York Comic-Con.

Press PLAY on the video above to watch the trailer, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Cordell Garrett says:

It isn’t Christmas without the doctor

2. TVLineCommentator says:

the amount of hate on Doctor Who’s Facebook comments

3. Luffy says:

Interested to see how Bill and the Doctor will meet. Not a huge fan of Nardole but hopefully he will surprise me and I’ll grow to like him. Bill reminds me of Ace and I’m okay with that.

4. Christine says:

The thrill is gone…it hasn’t been the same. Since Matt Smith left.

5. Looking forward to Pearl Mackie’s first year on the show. However, I hope there’s less Nardole next year than what the trailer suggests. He was mostly tolerable in Doctor Mysterio, thankfully.

6. DarkDefender says:

I thought the trailer looked awesome. I have looked forward to the Doctor Who Christmas Specials for more years than I care to admit. This year was well done. Very lighthearted, which was neccesary after all the heavy we had last season. I’d like to see more playfulness between the Doctor and Bill.. the lovelorn stuff of Ten and Eleven needed a break. I’m excited for the new season.

7. kirads09 says:

Certainly we need to give Bill a chance. I think she will be great. I may be in the minority but I like Nardole. “12th-century Constantinople. I ruled firmly, but wisely.” – lol The xmas special was fine for what it was. I didn’t hate it. It was necessary to have it light and just for fun – last season was so heavy – I mean Heaven Sent and Hell Bent just to name. Husbands of River Song was a far superior Christmas special IMO. 10 is my fav Dr, but adore Capaldi and what he is bringing. I just hope this doesn’t mean last year’s special will be the absolute last we see of River. My favorite character aside from the Doctor himself. Alex is exquisite. I mean, I know her sacrifice in the Library. But her timeline is totally out of sync with his, right? So not completely out of the question she could show up again. I guess if not, we can at least know they had 24 years (that “night” on Darillilum) together – sigh.