It’s getting crowded with great actors up there in the Upper Midwest.
Boardwalk Empire alum Michael Stuhlbarg has joined the Season 3 cast of FX’s Fargo, the network announced Tuesday. Stuhlbarg, who memorably played gangster Arnold Rothstein on Boardwalk, will play Sy Feltz, the right-hand man to Minnesota real-estate mogul Emmit Stussy (Ewan McGregor).
If that weren’t enough good news, FX announced five more additions to the Fargo Season 3 cast:
* Scoot McNairy (Halt and Catch Fire), as ex-con stoner Maurice LeFay. (TVLine got the exclusive scoop on McNairy’s casting from Fargo creator Noah Hawley on Emmy night.)
* Shea Whigham (Boardwalk Empire), as police chief Moe Dammick.
* Karan Soni (Blunt Talk), as scientist Dr. Homer Gilruth.
* Fred Melamed (Lady Dynamite), as Howard Zimmerman, “a mover and a shaker with a knack for spinning a yarn and turning a profit.”
* Thomas Mann (The Middle), as sci-fi author Thaddeus Mobley.
A nerdy Coen brothers connection to point out: Stuhlbarg and Melamed co-starred together in the Coens’ 2009 drama A Serious Man. (The first of many Coen brothers connections we’ll find in Season 3, we’re sure.)
And of course, the Season 3 cast is already stacked with Ewan McGregor (playing twins!), Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Carrie Coon, Jim Gaffigan and David Thewlis. When we’ll get to see them, though, remains a mystery: Season 3 is scheduled to debut in spring 2017, but no premiere date has been set.
Which new addition to the Fargo cast makes you most excited for Season 3? Let us know in the comments.