Shameless Renewed

Shameless Renewed for Season 8

Get ready for another year of Gallagher family dysfunction.

Showtime has renewed Shameless for a 12-episode Season 8, the network announced on Monday. The pickup comes just hours after the series aired its emotional Season 7 finale, and five days after leading lady Emmy Rossum resolved her equal-pay contract dispute.

As we reported last week, Rossum was seeking salary parity with co-star William H. Macy, and the negotiations were reportedly holding up a Season 8 renewal. Rossum’s camp allegedly argued that the actress should be paid more than Macy to make up for the seven seasons in which she earned considerably less than the veteran actor.

On Wednesday, Rossum announced that a new deal had been struck. “I’m so happy to continue [with] my Shameless family!” she wrote. “Back to work in May!”

Shameless Season 8 is slated to bow in Fall 2017.

1. Great news. I have a feeling that the way season 7 ended last night, it was done in a way that it could be a series finale had not it been renewed. And the ending scene was added on once the pay dispute was settled and season 8 assured.

2. Kevin says:

How come next season isn’t the end for Shameless?

• Chris says:

Because ”
      Showtime noted in the renewal release that Shameless’ seventh season was the series’ highest-rated to date.”

3. Joey says:

If the main two Milkoviches aren’t involved, then what’s the point?

4. Kit says:

I’m sorry what are the ratings numbers then? All the ratings info I’ve seen have shown them as steadily declining since s4.

• Brian says:

No, the ratings have been good.

Season 7 of the show — the second in the 2016 calendar year, as Showtime moved its premiere date up to fall — was the highest-rated season of the show to date. Prior to Sunday’s finale it was averaging a 0.5 same-day rating among adults 18-49 and 1.39 million viewers. It regularly doubled its 18-49 rating with a week of DVR and on-demand viewing and grew its total audience by better than 80 percent.

Anyway, great news it’s coming back. Season 7 was such an improvement over the last couple of seasons.

• Paul Dailly says:

It’s probably based on the on demand and DVR ratings averages for each season to date. I don’t think Showtime are too concerned about live ratings.

• Bartimeus says:

Ratings probably come from all sources. Why would any premium network ever care about just the overnight ratings? If they’re subscribers are watching at some point that should be the only thing that matters to them.

5. Jamie says:

I have a love/hate relationship with this show. Every season I tell myself I won’t watch anymore, then I end up binge-watching it in 2 days. #shameless

• Kaila says:

That’s how I was when I started watching it!! I literally watched all of the seasons on Hulu. I didn’t sleep at all!! Now I can’t wait for the next season!! When will it aire? I’m glad Emmy is getting paid as much as Macy!! She has more scenes and she has to act out a lot more different emotions than anyone else!!

6. readenreply says:

Hope they are planning a true series finale… which must include Franks demise….

• Trixydee99@Baldwind says:

if frank died let it be him overdosing on meth or acid but he leaves a will to the family so they can finnally live better or have it be fiona to get back with jimmy steve and she kills him.

7. Bark Star says:

8. Amber says:

I LOVE this show all of season 7 I was worried it wasn’t going to come back next year and when I watched the season 7 finale I thought for sure that was gonna be it and was so upset but then I heard that settled with Emmy and it was gonna come back for season 8 I’m not even joking I NEED NO CHRISTMAS PRESENTS NOW THAT I KNOW THERE WILL BE A NEW SEASON OF SHAMELESS BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!!!!!!!! And bring Jimmy/Steve back and why did my guide say Kev and V were gonna get revenge and nothing happend what’s up with that??

9. James wood says:

Great news!!

10. Kaila says:

I can’t wait for another season of Shameless!!! It will be interesting to see if Ian can mend his relationship with Trevor, if Lip can stay away from the liquor and if Fiona’s taste for a boyfriend will ever come back!!

11. Seve says:

I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN SKIPPING TROUGH SEASONS 6 AND 7 JUST TO SEE IF JIMMY IS BACK… I HOPE THEY BRING HIM BACK. FIONA AND JIMMY’S LOVE STORY IS THE SHOW. ALL THE REST IS JUST BACKGROUND STORIES. ITS JUST NOT THE SAME WITHOUT HIM.

12. Tara says:

Love shameless! I hope it airs for another 10 seasons! I can relate to being dysfunctional, being poor and trying to make ends meet! That is why it’s such a good show! Binged watched all seasons now what the hell I’m I going to watch?! Can’t wait to buy season 8!