Carrie Preston The Good Fight

Carrie Preston Joins Good Wife Spinoff, Reprising Role as Elsbeth Tascioni

Elsbeth Tascioni is climbing back into the legal ring!

Good Wife favorite Carrie Preston is joining spinoff series The Good Fight for multiple episodes, TVLine has confirmed. She will reprise her role as socially-stunted attorney Elsbeth for multiple episodes.

As our sister site Deadline points out, series co-creators Robert and Michelle King wanted Preston to return to The Good Wife for a major arc during its final season, but her role on NBC’s short-lived Crowded limited her to appearing in just one episode.

The Good Fight premieres on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 8/7c on both CBS (the network) and CBS All Access (the digital offshoot). After the premiere, CBS All Access will exclusively host all of Season 1’s remaining episodes (with a new installment dropping every Sunday).

1. rowan77 says:

Best news I’ve seen all week!

2. T. says:

I would watch just for Carrie Preston

• Geo says:

I wish they’d built the spin-off around Carrie Preston: it could have had a different tone and emphasis.

Not that I’m not looking forward to the spin-off as is, but the Elsbeth Tascioni show could definitely have been wild and fun!

3. AJ says:

Last article about the Good Fight, I said I needed this to happen. So happy!

4. KLS says:

So, this “New Show” has everyone & everything the same as the old one, but the lead is different and it’s moving to CBS All Access? I guess it was Julianna Margulies’s fault that the original ended, everything else was all good. :)

• abz says:

Is this childish gossip and speculation really necessary? It’s over. The Good Wife ended. Like most shows, there were flaws and missteps, but it was still a wonderful and brilliant series with some of the finest writing and acting. The Good Wife was primarily a very specific story. Sure there were great supporting characters, but it was first and foremost Alicia’s story from beginning to end and they’ve even said that they always envisioned it as seven season story (look at how they even did the titles each season with the final season having one-word titles like the first season).
      Of course this won’t be an entirely new show and we will definitely see some similarities to TGW. It’s a “spin-off”. Lots of shows have them (e.g., Private Practice/Grey’s Anatomy, Buffy/Angel, etc.) and The Good Wife had a rich world of characters at their fingertips that they can use that were underused in the original series. If you have kept up with the casting news you’d know that there are also a bunch of new characters who are part of the main cast. Also, Lucca was only on for one season (which doubled as the final season), so there is probably still a wealth of material for them to explore with just her alone.

• KLS says:

Sorry if I offended. I was being sarcastic. I watched the first few years of TGW, but it got too catty and repetitive for me. My point was, the show had less then stellar ratings it’s last two years, and now it’s spin-off will be continuing with the same cast (-1, + a few), writers and producers. It’s the same show, but without Margulies.
        It’s obvious that you love the show and will watch TGF. I hope it works out.

• abz says:

I wouldn’t necessarily consider it the same show. The Good Wife was primarily about a scorned politician’s wife and her journey into regaining her life back and navigating the morally questionable/corrupt worlds of law and politics all the while raising two kids. It was mainly about this specific woman’s evolution.
          This spin-off will naturally share similarities with TGW because it will still be dealing with the law, but it will also be from the perspectives of other characters and their lives. Diane was a character who did not receive as much focus in the final years and now this is the opportunity for her to lead and Lucca is still new and underdeveloped. I only count four returning actors I believe (Christine Baranski, Cush Jumbo, Sarah Steele, and now Carrie Preston who is only a guest star. And I’m not counting David Lee and Howard Lyman because I have a feeling they’re mainly there in the beginning just to oust Diane). That’s not really that much. The rest is mostly a brand new cast.

• John036 says:

The show was always intended to be a seven season series (hence the ascending then descending number of words in the episode titles as the seasons went on)

• Mike M says:

The tired “they are “very different shows” reply you had is rubbish, your first take on it is in fact pretty close to totally right. The Kings intended 7 season of GW and they got them, but quite probably if they could have carried on without JM they would have. And while sure other actors involved have taken the chance to just move on to other things, I’m sure we will see many of them back, even if only in one episode guest roles. So what do you actually end up with? This is getting very close to GF rebooted minus JM, no matter what anyone says to the contrary. And to be proven but I bet the tone and style of the original show is very much retained as well. What you can absolutely bank on, with no question, is that you will NEVER see Julianna Margulies on this show, and not because she was ever asked and turned it down.

• abz says:

Why would they have continued The Good “Wife” without the wife and main star of the show? TGW was primarily about Alicia and her story Front and centre.
        I never replied that they were very different show, I just don’t consider them to be exactly the same. Of course The Good Fight will share similarities to TGW and characters from the original series will return because this spin-off exists in the same world, but the difference will be the characters perspectives from which the story will now be told (i.e. Diane, Lucca). That’s what many spin-offs do. They have their own stories but still exist in the same world and often crossover with the original.
        I personally hope your last sentence will turn out to be wrong, because I’d love to see Alicia/JM guest star on the show so we can get an update on Alicia’s life.

5. notpercysowner says:

I hope this comes to Netflix or Hulu some day, because I’m still not getting CBS Access

• D says:

totally agree, people will start to “unsubscribe” like they “cut the cord” soon. all of these streaming services combined are costing more than cable. For example:

International Netflix (depending on the market) get: Outlander, The Good Wife (and the new CBS Access show like the new Star Trek, because they have a deal. so I’m guessing they will get the Good Fight too), Orphan Black, Outlander, Penny Dreadful.

In the US, you need:
      Starz – for Outlander
      Showtime – for Penny Dreadful
      Amazon Prime (or cable) for Orphan Black
      CBS All Access – for the new Star Trek and ANY CBS shows.

This is not including Hulu and Netflix US. How many streaming services do we need!? ridiculous.

6. Mark says:

So, will the episodes disappear after some time or can you wait until the season ends and then binge?

• KLS says:

Good question. There is not much on All Access to justify a monthly subscription, but if they “stack” all their episodes, you can just buy the one month when they are all available. But, I guess that’s a good reason why they won’t do that (have all episodes available at the end).

7. TDXI says:

I hope they get Mchael J Fox on board too. His character is great I can’t decide wether to love or hate him.

8. abz says:

Great news. I’d love for them to also have Martha Plimpton guest star again as Patti Nyholm. Such a fun character. The Good Wife has a such a rich world of characters that I’d love to see again.
    I’m secretly hoping even though it might not happen that the writers secretly bring back Kalinda and/or Alicia at some point if the series does well. I can imagine the reveal at the end of a finale or something without anyone knowing (kind of like Will’s death). I’d be so excited.

9. D says:

YAY! Martha Plimpton next? also any of the great judges from the old series should return also.

10. Me says:

BEST NEWS EVER :)
    Can’t wait for The Good Fight. Finally good TV again. Have been missing Diane too.

11. Baileigh says:

I know that it is far to early in the entire scheme of things, however is there any plans to release The Good Fight on DVD after the conclusion of the first season?

12. BrooklynMike says:

Ugh. I know I’m in the minority, but I just can’t stand her character, or Preston’s acting quirks. This character always seems like she’s acting in a different show, she’s so over the top ridiculous. I hope they provide her with better direction on this show…she’s just too much of an eccentric.

13. Ro says:

Love her, but will not do CBS All Access.