Star Trek Discovery Sonequa Martin Green Cast

Walking Dead's Sonequa Martin-Green Cast as Star Trek: Discovery Lead

Walking Dead actress is about to forge the final frontier.

Sonequa Martin-Green has been cast as the lead in the upcoming Star Trek: DiscoveryEW.com reports.

Martin-Green will play a lieutenant commander in the sci-fi reboot, a role then-executive producer Bryan Fuller described at last summer’s Television Critics Association press tour  as having “caveats.”

The 13-episode first season, which will be available weekly on CBS All Access after launching with a two-hour premiere on CBS network in May, follows an incident in the history of Starfleet that other series/movies in the franchise have touched on but never fully explored. Per Fuller, Discovery will tell “that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy.”

CBS declined to comment on the casting.

Fuller stepped down as showrunner earlier this fall due to creative differences. “I’m not involved in production, or post-production,” he recently confirmed. “So I can only give them the material I’ve given them and hope that it is helpful for them. I’m curious to see what they do with it.”

Martin-Green’s casting is sure to raise questions about the future of her Walking Dead character, Sasha, who remains very much alive on the AMC hit. An AMC rep maintains that the actress remains a series regular on the AMC series.

She joins a cast that includes Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), Doug Jones (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Anthony Rapp (Rent), Shazad Latif (Penny Dreadful) and Chris Obi (American Gods).

1. LK says:

Technically this would be shooting between seasons of Walking Dead so she could do both of them.

2. Ian says:

Uh-oh. Sasha’s donzo.
    But this means I’ll absolutely have to check out Discovery now. But with Fuller gone now and this only being on streaming, I’m not sure it’ll even get more than a season.

• MattR says:

Considering CBS said that the international distribution fees paid by Netflix covered the entire production cost of the first season already, any revenue from CBS All Access is frosting on the cake. Which means the show is practically profitable already.

• A fan of TV says:

It’s streaming on Netflix in Canada, I’m pretty sure. And to split hairs, CBS All Access is web streaming…

• MattR says:

What distinction are you making by calling it “web streaming”? Unless you think you can only watch it on a browser on your computer. You can watch it on all kinds of devices, just like Netflix. Amazon Fire, Apple TV, XBox, PS4, iPhone/iPad app, Chromecast, Roku, etc.

• It will on Crave in Canada, not Netflix.

• A fan of TV says:

Dang. So tired of reading stories about intl Netflix arrangements but having the writers not differentiate between US and Canada.

• Dante says:

The premiere with be on CTV and then subsequent episodes will air on Space.

• A fan of TV says:

Which would be the indication that it will stream on Crave, as it’s another Bell property just like CTV and Space. Thanks for clarifying, Dante.

• Lindsay says:

It is not streaming on Netflix in Canada. It’s streaming on Netflix everywhere but the US and Canada. They haven’t announced for sure how Canada will get it

• Dante says:

With Fuller leaving it has a greater chance of lasting longer. He has a reputation of not having shows that last very long.

3. Steven says:

Considering how long they go without showing some characters they could just not show her all season.

4. Brian says:

Good for her!

5. Davidj says:

Considering she’s not a central character on TWD and one we don’t see that often, I doubt there would be much of a conflict.
    It’ll definitely be a bit weird at first to see her in a Starfleet uniform though.

• LK says:

And considering this is a summer series that starts shooting in January and walking dead doesnt start back up till april they can probably make it work.

6. P.K. says:

Highly unlikely they’ll just ship off Sasha to a quiet community to lessen her presence and keep her alive with this Saviors war arc going on.

I have a dreaded feeling she’ll mirror comic Holly’s death in the season finale. A shame, she’s one of the strongest and underrated actors on the cast.

7. Walkie says:

Characters now appear in maybe 4 or 5 episodes a season so she’d have plenty of time for both.

Not sure about her acting chops however.

8. A fan of TV says:

Considering TWD needs to sacrifice actors for gore’s sake, and Sasha’s essentially been a dead character walking in a narrative sense since her brother died, even more since Bob and Abraham both died, (and since her loosely modeled comic character never made it out of the prison), it would hardly be surprising. That said, Sonequa is great and deserves a lead role, in a new series that isn’t in the process of circling the drain.

9. DS9 is King says:

I’m Hopping there will be a lot of Action in this series, I mean common there has to be because the Budget is good and they went on a streaming site so they did not have to listen to Broadcast Standards and Rules and we have Nicholas Myer the Man who Brought us The Wrath of Khan so this is looking to be a great series so Far.

10. Ben says:

I’ve always liked her, so I think that’s casting. A shame for Walking Dead fans if this turns out to be a spoiler though.

11. Mike says:

Well if I recall didn’t fuller say something about wanting a Rosario Dawson type for a lead role? I’m going out on a limb here but this is close enough for me. And good on them for continuing the series’ progressive trend by having a black woman as the lead.
    Star Trek is pretty much built on saying “hey, you know how we’re demonizing/oppressing/generally being ****s to (insert subset of human race here)? In the future, we’re all working together.

(And really Sasha has been going nowhere fast for a couple seasons now. A new gig is practically merciful)

12. Tom says:

Why isn’t she the captain? The Captain isn’t there, or otherwise she wouldn’t be the lead. So whats up with that? Is this some silly experiment in Star Trek history where they got rid of the chain of command?

• Mike says:

I think the whole point is we are seeing a Star Trek series from the perspective of what would have been a secondary character on any other show. How would TNG have been different if, say, we had been following Geordi or if Sulu or Bones on the original series had been the lead? Our view of Picard and Kirk would have been very different…that’s I think what the aim is. To put an outside perspective on the captain’s actions.

• canadian ninja says:

Also,Sisko didn’t start out as a captain.

• Daniel says:

They made a point of saying the lead WOULDNT be the captain. Remember the Captain is really isolated… theyre separated from the crew. Its better to have someone a few steps away from Captain as the lead.

13. Lily says:

To quote Captain Picard, “I implore you, do not continue with this… proceeding. End it now.”

14. Carlos Lee says:

I doubt she will do both. She is dead meat. Just like the Chris Rock kid was supposed to do two series as once.

15. Spence says:

This is the best casting news I’ve ever heard. Sonequa is an incredibly talented actress! If that means she’s leaving TWD, its sad to see Sasha go since Sasha is one of the most 3-dimensional and captivating characters, but good for Sonequa of getting off that sinking ship.

16. kevin Eccleston says:

That must mean sasha will die by the end of season 7

17. ScottJ says:

She worked on Walking Dead and Once Upon a TIme at the same time when she started on TWD. It didn’t seem to be a big deal then

• Jess says:

Big difference between once upon a time and the movie Star Trek. Plus, this isn’t the first time I saw this. This actress I used to like did the same as her. She juggled it for a while and quit the show I loved her in in the end. To this day I can’t stand her.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

So many errors in your comment I dont know where to begin. . So I won’t.

• Jess says:

Ah, speaking of ‘errors’, there are still problems with unwanted pop ups when viewing on a phone or tablet and it doesn’t go away for a few seconds, very frustrating and off putting you know.

18. Jim says:

Man, first Michelle Yeoh and now her. The show has now cast two of my least-liked actresses ever. That and with Fuller leaving, this is just crushing me.

19. DavidSask says:

Canada is really going to represent for this show, it will be aired same day on their cable channel SPACE! You know most of the pirated copies will be sourced from there.

20. Monica says:

This means she won’t be on The Walking Dead no more she a main character on Star trek discovery

21. I can live with it. Would have liked an Indian Actor as a lead, though. Would have been nice to know we made it into space

22. Bark Star says:

Hrmm… I only know her from TWD. Kinda lukewarm about her.

23. Cordell Garrett says: