Shameless Season 8

Shameless' Emmy Rossum Resolves Season 8 Salary Dispute

All’s well that ends well: Shameless leading lady Emmy Rossum has resolved her equal-pay salary dispute, clearing the way for a Season 8 renewal, TVLine has confirmed.

The actress shared the news on social media early Wednesday:

Earlier this week it was reported that Rossum had been seeking salary parity with co-star William H. Macy. Rossum’s camp reportedly argued that the actress should be paid more than Macy to make up for the seven seasons in which she earned considerably less than the veteran actor.

Terms of Rossum’s new deal were not disclosed.

Showtime has yet to officially renew Shameless for an eighth season. The series’ current seventh season wraps on Dec. 18.

1. Thea says:

Good for her!

2. Rebecca says:

she deserves it. Emmy has been the star of the show since the beginning.

3. Tatia Boman says:

Oh thank God. Losing too many of my favorite shows, didn’t want to add Shameless to that list

4. Phillip says:

So happy!! Love her!!

5. Oran says:

Good for her! Hope she got what she wanted and deserves :)

6. Steven says:

Showtime made the right choice. This season has been a vast improvement and she deserves it.

7. Simon Jester says:

Good for her.

8. Rick C says:

I’m glad to hear her issue has been resolved. It’s a great show, and she is a great character on the show. Ms. Rossum is a fantastic actress. That being said, I don’t think she has racked up as much of a successful career as William H. Macy, so wanting to paid on par with him is a bit of a stretch. Once she gets the type of resumé he has amassed, then she has a case. And before you all go saying “You wouldn’t say the same thing if she was a man,” I can assure you, if the role were reversed, and Ms. Rossum was the seasoned veteran and Mr. Macy was asking for parity with her, I would say the same thing. Her sex has nothing to do with my statement.

• A fan of TV says:

True in the beginning of a series, but provided her salary is being equalled to Macy’s and he’s not losing anything, there should be no controversy. The series is Fiona Gallagher’s, and eight years in they are equal draws, no question.

• I agree with the spirit of this, but it shouldn’t have taken 8 years to reach equality. He was the bigger get in the beginning, but she proved long ago that she was worth it.

• KLS says:

I think at the show’s the beginning, the pay difference was justified. People tuned in because of Macy, but as the show moved on and it was obvious she was the star, she should have gotten more. Now was the time to negotiate for equal pay. Backpay wasn’t a realistic ask. I am glad she got enough to make her happy to go on. I agree that it isn’t really a gender thing.

• Cas says:

I agree with this in the beginning. But now they are on the same level I feel. In that note, I don’t think the show could survive without Macy either.

• Stephen A. says:

Yea. In the beginning is fine because we don’t know how the show is gonna pan out. But as the show proceeds, it doesn’t matter about prior stuff. Value to the success of the show.
      And Emmys character has been central and dynamic. Macy may have been a bigger star going in, but his character does the same thing every episode.

• gary harms says:

I don’t believe your comment was meant to be sexist, though it did sound that way, in fact, I had that same thought myself thinking back on William H. Macy’s career. However, when I think of the one actor on that show who would make me stop watching if she, or he, suddenly left the show……it would be Ms. Rossum. She is not only an integral part of the family she is primary to the show’s progress.

• I agree, yes she is à great actress but, Macy is a great actor and his list of movies, great movies he has to his credit, Emma has à ways to go yet to get same pay, must pay your dues first in any field,

9. Brian says:

Great news!

10. A fan of TV says:

No reason after 8 years she should be making less than Macy. Good news!

11. retsim says:

Quite right to .Women deserve the same as men in leading roles .

12. HAP says:

Well deserved.

13. keniri says:

Kudos to Emmy. William H. Macy isn’t that great of an actor and to be paid less than Willie, it’s a great boon. But, leave it to Showtime to cancel the series rather than renew it.

14. mollytanner says:

I thought I was only 2 seasons behind, but apparently I’m 3 behind. Showtime must’ve done two in one year because I know it hasn’t been 3 years since I’ve watched!

15. Nan says:

Now all they need to do is get Noel Fisher back permatly and everything will be back to where it should be

16. Tom says:

Would like to know who caved. Curious that it is so soon after Macy got yet another award nomination, and zilch for her.

17. Denise SantagatA says:

Glad she is getting equal pay. She is the cement of the family. Looking forward to another insane season

18. rowan77 says:

I hope she got the raise she was looking for. She may not have gottne more than Macy, but she should at least get equal pay. She’s earned it.