Post Mortems
Timeless Recap

Timeless Bosses on What Rittenhouse Really Wants, Where Flynn Is Headed

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Monday’s Timeless

Timeless‘ Lucy could probably use a shower after meeting Rittenhouse’s creepy founding father during Monday night’s fall finale.

The mysterious organization is actually the brainchild of a singular person in 1780: David Rittenhouse (played by Buffy vet Armin Shimerman), who teaches his son John that peasants, like the hands of a clock, need someone to guide them under the pretense of democracy.

David is no fool, and quickly recognizes that the time-travelers have come to kill him. After giving Lucy a disturbing once-over, he sends her to his bedchambers, while sentencing Wyatt and Flynn to death. Just when it’s starting to look very dire for the two men, Rufus busts in for the save. Flynn kills David, but Lucy intervenes on behalf of John’s life, allowing the boy to escape. “I thought you understood what was at stake,” an angry Flynn declares, dragging Lucy inside his time ship, which goes poof just as Wyatt and Rufus arrive.

Below, executive producers Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan give TVLine the scoop on Rittenhouse’s agenda, Flynn’s doubts about Lucy, the time trio’s reunion and much more. (Consider it the next-best thing to a time machine for an impatient fan.)

Timeless RecapTVLINE | I’m going to pose Lucy’s question back to you: Where is Flynn taking her?
ERIC KRIPKE | [Laughs] Into the next episode. I don’t know if I’m ready to spoil that. I know that Flynn is furious. Flynn really felt that he and Lucy were genuinely meant to be a team. He thought that they were destined to be one. When they reached a climactic moment where they had an opportunity to finally end Rittenhouse once and for all — or at least as far as Flynn thought — Lucy didn’t do it. So now Flynn finds himself doubting everything. He doubts whether this journal is accurate. He begins to doubt whether he’s, ultimately, going to ally with Lucy. And if that all turns out to not be true, then it escalates the stakes of our show and makes it more dangerous, because now Lucy isn’t someone he’s trying to partner with. She’s expendable, collateral damage who gets in his way.

TVLINE | Flynn didn’t just ally with Lucy this week, but also Wyatt and Rufus. Considering how the episode ends, is the truce over between them?
KRIPKE | I’d say that’s accurate. I’d say we’re back to Flynn being a villain. … It’s not like our heroes aren’t aware Rittenhouse is out there, and that Rittenhouse are a bunch of bad motherf—kers. So it becomes an interesting antagonist-protagonist relationship, because they both see that Rittenhouse is dangerous. It’s [their] methodology… that they really differ [on]. Garcia Flynn is so scorched-earth, and our heroes are still trying to exhibit humanity and protect people. It leads to some really interesting conflicts.

Timeless RecapTVLINE | The depiction of David Rittenhouse was so creepy. Is there anything redeeming about Rittenhouse? Are all the members like this?
SHAWN RYAN | You’re seeing the guy who founded [Rittenhouse] during a tougher, more brutal time… and maybe hasn’t been the best, most progressive parent toward his son. But what we’ll find is that Rittenhouse is populated by very different people over the years, in different eras, and I can promise that in one of the final episodes, we’re going to meet a Rittenhouse member who isn’t like that at all. I don’t think you can apply the attributes of the guy who started it way back in 1780 to everyone who has a place in that organization afterwards. It’s also a case of the organization evolving over the years. Lucy’s father Benjamin, I think, would make the case — and may make the case in a future episode — that things are different [now].
KRIPKE | Our take on Rittenhouse is they’ve been quietly and subtly controlling events from the beginning. Every villain is the hero of their own story, and if you were to talk to them, they’d say they’re providing control and support and stability and safety. But that’s not necessarily the same thing as freedom. It’s an organization that certainly feels, like the scariest organizations, that they’re completely self-righteous.

TVLINE | There’s not a greater objective that they’re targeting by pulling all these strings?
KRIPKE | There is. The fall episodes, culminating in [Monday’s finale], were meant to define who Rittenhouse is… The second half of the season, now that we’ve revealed who they are, we’re going to reveal what they want, and why they’re so interested in the R&D of the time machine in the first place, and ultimately, what they plan to use it for, and what the next phase of their plan is.

TVLINE | Does the fact that John survives the episode impact the future and how Rittenhouse progresses going forward?
RYAN | We haven’t dealt with that in any of the near-term, upcoming scripts, but we can assume that his escape portended bigger things as he got older. And Garcia Flynn believes that his survival was a big deal and took away his opportunity to destroy Rittenhouse early. When we come back for our winter premiere, we’ll deal with Flynn’s feelings about all that.

Timeless RecapTVLINE | How long will Wyatt and Rufus be without Lucy?
KRIPKE | Not too long. We know which side our bread is buttered on. We will be getting the time team back together sooner rather than later.

TVLINE | Is Flynn trustworthy when he says he knows what happened to Wyatt’s wife?
KRIPKE | [Pauses] Yes. Let’s say yes. There’s some twists and turns along that story, but Flynn is presenting what he knows and believes to be completely accurate-ish.

Timeless fans, what did you think of the episode? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. TvPeong says:

One of the best hours of tv I have seen in a while

2. GuessWhat says:

i live right off Rittenhouse Square in Philly — yes, named after him. But he wasn’t really like that. just sayin’. ha

3. laurelnev says:

Let’s see how THOSE antics change what they return to…Licy may have lost a lot more than a sister. ;)

4. Luis Roman says:

I’m sorry, but I can’t get past your calling Armin Shimerman a “Buffy” vet. I mean, I know “Deep Space Nine” is the most underappreciated “Star Trek” series, but calling the most famous Feregni in history a “Buffy” veteran? Honestly!

• Karen says:

My thoughts exactly. I had to think about who he was in Buffy for a minute but DS9 was immediate.

• Reboot says:

I agree. I am a HUGE Buffy fan. It’s probably my favorite TV show ever. And I am just a so-so Trek fan who only saw a few episodes of DS9. But when I see Mr. Shimerman, I think about DS9, not Buffy. In fact, much like Karen said, I had to think about who he played in Buffy and it took a good minute! :)

• Cat says:

Totally agree! Loved his portrayal of Quark on Deep Space Nine! Glad I still get to see it in reruns on H&I Channel. He was great in Timeless last night!

• SK says:

Totally agree with you! I don’t even remember what he played in Buffy and I used to watch Buffy! My husband who was never really a Star Trek fan recognized him as the Ferengi.

• Art says:

Yes,exacctly so. Armin played that character for only 20 episodes,
      where as Qwark,first in the next generation (season 7;episode:firstborn)
      and the entire 7 seasons of DS9,also one episode of Voyager.

Armin also have numerous of memorable guest appearances of succesfull
      sci-fi,supernatural and drama shows too and who can forget his part in
      Seinfeld as “the caddy”, not forgetting his voice over work either,
      he is a great talent indeed.

5. Louis E. says:

Since we’ve learned that 1)Lucy’s father is a member of Rittenhouse and 2)members are born into Rittenhouse we may be faced with her eliminating herself from history if she kills the wrong person (or allows that person to be killed).

• Alichat says:

I was wondering how they’d get around that as well. I thought for sure we’d see some drawing in Lucy’s journal of her father and Rufus would spot the picture, thus revealing who her father is.

On another note, I would like to see an episode where history is saved by the team…..meaning a historical figure isn’t killed, although now that I type this out, the Katherine Johnson/Apollo episode did this I suppose.

• brenna says:

I thought about that too. Can’t eliminate Lucy!!

6. CM says:

This should have been the 3rd episode of the season.

Everything Rittenhouse before this episode has been supremely annoying (and not in a good way).

7. Judson says:

This time travel is confusing to be sure, but why can’t Flynn just go back again for another shot at Rittenhouse?

• Penny says:

They explained it to some extent in the pilot episode. They can’t go back to a time they already have. So even though they can travel through time, they really only get one shot at whatever time they go to. Same as they can’t go back to a time they already existed in, like 10 years ago. Still confusing, I know.

8. Ken Kaplan says:

Along with the Alamo, this was really engaging and worked at a deeper level than some of the other episodes. I found myself on the edge of my seat. One beef. So many shows are using an “Illuminati” theme as a foundation, some “secret society’ behind it all. Blacklist, Blindspot, even to a degree Designated Survivor. Its getting a little tiresome.

Other than that, a show I look forward to and seems to be ripening. The trips to various historical “hot spots” are great.

9. Kevin says:

What video game Rufus and Jiya were playing? Looks like Street Fighter to me.

10. Penny says:

Benedict Arnold questions Flynn about his binoculars but doesn’t say anything about Flynn’s Apple Watch that is clearly visible and lights up to tell time?

11. Kevin says:

I give it an A. Talk about a cliffhanger that will continue when the series returns January 16th (last six episodes of the season). How crazy or paranoid Garcia Flynn is?

12. Asia says:

I really enjoyed this episode. What a cliffhanger.

13. Rick Katze says:

Buffy, definitely, but also ST: TNG and, if recollection is true, ST: Deep Space Nine.

14. kirads09 says:

I love Timeless. Gotta say I have never been a huge Goran Visnjic fan, but he is great in this role. Certainly the most lively and animated I have ever seen him. Well played. This Star Trek Deep Space Nine Fan had to chuckle (for a moment – just a moment mind you) at Quark being Rittenhouse. I had heard Armin was to be on Timeless, but had no idea WHO or WHAT his role would be.

15. spdavid says:

Just putting this idea out there.Considering the time line changes that have happened and will happen and that the show does not shy away from showing the consequences and impacts of these changes,could it be that the Lucy of the here and now of the show and the Lucy who wrote the journal are different,think differently and were experiencing a different time line?

16. brenna says:

I absolutely love this show. A new adventure every week, with great characters, and an overarching mystery. I really hope it does well enough to get a second season.

17. Best episode of Timeless so far.

18. Dominique says:

a terrific episode, this show has been so great and refreshing so far.
    i think i’m the only who’s looking forward to seeing some lucy/flynn scenes but that’s okay.
    i was thinking about when lucy told that story about how she was in a car accident once, and how a stranger pulled her out. is it possible that someone goes back in time to eliminate lucy (since she is technically rittenhouse), only for either wyatt, rufus or flynn to intervene and be the stranger who rescues her?
    either way i can’t wait to see new episodes!

19. Roger A schwartz says:

You should not have used an identifiable character like David Rittenhouse as a foil for your story. I lived in Philadelphia for years. David Rittenhouse is a respected revolutionary and intellectual figure. You have sullied his name. I would enjoy the series much more if you hadn’t disrespected this fine man.

20. Helen says:

Great episode! I have been loving this entire season and can’t wait to figure out where this is all heading.

21. Tanya says:

I HATED Lucy for getting in the way of Flynn killing that boy.

22. ImWithFlynn says:

So, you saw two sides of the age old moral dilemma: If you had a chance to kill Hitler when he was young – would you. Lucy no, Flynn yes. Who did you side with?

23. Kaylin says:

I really enjoy my Monday nights watching ‘Timeless’. It is very well written & the visit to history is amazing. Thanks for a show that has it all; good actors, unique story line & a touch of education. Keep up the good work and her’s to another season?!