Reba McEntire ABC Soap Marc Cherry

Reba McEntire to Star in Marc Cherry's Southern Gothic Soap for ABC

Reba McEntire is headed back to ABC… and Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry is coming along with her.

The country superstar has signed on to headline a “Southern Gothic soap opera” created by Cherry for ABC, our sister site Deadline reports. The untitled project, which has already received a script commitment from the network, will star McEntire as a small-town Kentucky sheriff who teams up with a Middle Eastern FBI agent to investigate an act of terrorism during a local 4th of July parade. Cherry will serve as creator and showrunner.

McEntire starred in the ABC sitcom Malibu Country, which only lasted one season, following her six-season run on The WB’s Reba. Cherry turned Desperate Housewives into a huge hit for ABC, wrapping up in 2012. His Lifetime drama Devious Maids just ended a four-season run earlier this year, so this all seems like perfect timing — and a perfect pairing, don’t you think?

Are the words Reba McEntire, Marc Cherry, and “Southern Gothic soap opera” enough to get you onboard? Hit the comments and give us your take.

1. bakko says:

Love Reba and Marc Cherry but this doesn’t sound like a good fit. Can we put a pause on shows that open with terrorist attacks that inevitably lead all the way to the middle.

2. B says:

I got so excited until I read the plot. This doesn’t sound too good. Dammit!

3. Steven says:

This sounds crazy and ridiculous and I love it already.

4. Luis Roman says:

I could actually envision Reba on “Desperate Housewives,” so this pairing might work, but a middle eastern FBI agent and an act of terrorism at the local 4th of July parade? Sounds a little heavy for a Marc Cherry show.

5. Collette says:

Love her, I’m in.

6. dan says:

Dear Marc Cherry: Please hire Susan Lucci to play a wealthy, aging (but not too old), Southern diva who hates the local Sheriff because she stole her man when they were young. I don’t need a writing credit or residuals (well…maybe). You’re welcome, dan from TVLine

7. Dear Marc Cherry: Please hire Linda Gray to play a wealthy, aging (but not too old), Southern diva who hates the local Sheriff because she stole her man when they were young. I don’t need a writing credit or residuals (I just need Linda Gray back on TV). Thanks Dan!

8. SJ says:

Oof… that plot sounds stupid and kind of been there-done that. I mean, both Quantico and Designated Survivor started out with a terrorist attack and both have sunk in the ratings since their premiere, Quantico to the point where it’s all but certain to be canceled at the end of this season. I could see Reba in a GCB-style romp. I wish they’d gone for that instead.

9. Susannah says:

Oh, I was hoping this was going to be a fun, frivolous, frothy soap set in the south, sort of like Savannah. This sounds more like Quantico or small town Homeland. Not as excited now.

10. Summer says:

Uh. I was expecting something soapy and light and outrageous. Not…this.

11. Mary says:

I was really excited when I saw the title, because I think Reba is beyond amazing. It’s just if I’m going by plot, this series sounds like a snooze-fest.

12. Randi Sparks says:

Why not just put All My Children back on and give Reba a part on that. Taking AMC and OLTL off the air was why alot of people quit watcing most ABC shows. I understand that this is possible since the court doings have been settled.

13. Jaclyn says:

Can’t wait until creators/writers realize we want to watch shows like This Is Us..stop with the supernatural, terrorism, sciency weird stuff..Normal shows!!!

14. Chloe says:

This doesn’t sound like a “gothic soap” to me. The headline sounds a lot more appealing than the plot.

15. Ally Oop says:

Sounds like something I might like. I like both Reba and primetime soaps.

16. SHARON JACKSON says:

SO EXCITED!!!!! WE LOVE REBA ❤️❤️❤️❤️This is going to be great…. It cannot start soon enough for REBA fans and she has Millions….
    What an awesome way to start a new year….Break a leg everyone!!!!! Start the show soon PLEASE😍😍😍😍😍

17. Cas says:

How about everyone not judge a book by its cover? I mean Reba and Marc Cherry? Sounds like a win win situation.

18. Mary says:

Umm, love Reba but I watch TV to escape all the BS and a story on terrorism doesn’t fit the bill. I think she is funny but don’t see any humor in this type of story. I think I will have to pass.

19. GINGER HOWLEY says:

YES! I CAN’T WAIT! I LOVE REBA! GREAT CHOICE! 👍😎💖

20. ToyCannon says:

“Baby Daddy” be damned, please get Melissa Peterman to play the deputy!

21. Rebecca Reiswig says:

This would be more interesting if there was no terrorist plot thing. Just make her a small town sheriff with her own personal/family problems? Have the idea of a weekly ‘case’ but focus more on drama, etc.