Post Mortems
Shameless Recap

Shameless' Noel Fisher Talks Mickey and Ian's 'Bittersweet' Road Trip

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Sunday’s Shameless

“Gallavich” hit the road during Sunday’s Shameless, but did they ride off into the sunset?

While Ian was initially on board with Mickey’s plan to run off to Mexico, he had a change of heart at the border. The two then shared what actor Noel Fisher (Mickey) describes as “a really wonderful and bittersweet, but very beautiful, goodbye — at least for now.” After the heartbreaking scene, Ian watched as his longtime love safely crossed over into Mexico.

Shameless RecapEven though the couple’s ending “definitely has a little bit of sadness to it, there’s also a lot of beauty,” Fisher says. “That’s the thing that rings the most true to me, that love… that both of these characters feel for one another. I’m just happy that in this episode, they get to experience that again. ‘Cause I don’t think either one of them has any regrets or would give that up for the world.”

Below, Fisher talks about Ian and Mickey’s turbulent but loving relationship, and why he’s “hopeful” about his character’s future. Plus: Have we really seen the last of the escaped convict?

TVLINE | What was your first impression when you got these last two scripts?
I think it’s a pretty perfect summation of the Milkovich and Gallagher story arc. It’s hectic, it’s crazy, it’s funny, it’s loving, it’s a little bit sad. There’s all of it. I was pretty stoked when I got to read the scripts.

TVLINE | I watched most of this Sunday’s episode in fear that Mickey would get shot and killed.
[Laughs] He has been shot several times before, so I understand the fear.

TVLINE | There was also such a prevalence of guns in the episode, and the authorities were after him. I was like, “This is going to end in a bloody shootout.”
[Laughs] When I was reading it, as they got closer and closer to the border, I was like, “Uh-oh, how is this going to go down? Is this going to be Butch and Sundance-style here?” [Laughs] I’m happy that didn’t happen.

Shameless RecapTVLINE | What was your reaction when you found out Mickey makes it safely across the border to Mexico?
Happy… There’s something kind of funny about rooting for someone who has broken out of prison and is on the run, but overall, I was really happy that he made it, and he gets to, hopefully, set up a new life for himself, one that revolves around him being who he actually is this time. I’m quietly hopeful for Mickey.

TVLINE | With him safely in Mexico, do you see that as them leaving the door open for another appearance, or do you feel like this is the end of his story?
I really have no idea what the future holds for Mickey in terms of the show. If he can break out of prison, he can get back into the country, that’s for sure. I think the door is kind of left open. Whether or not that’s something that happens, I really don’t know. But it could.

TVLINE | Clearly, Ian and Mickey really love each other, but in a way, it seems like Ian has outgrown Mickey.
I don’t know if it’s outgrown. Maybe it is. I look it at more as they’ve spent a lot of time co-evolving and helping each other grow and learning from each other and supporting each other through a lot of crazy and, in some cases, kind of horrible stuff. Or hard stuff, at the very least. So I think that Ian, like Mickey, is discovering more and more who he is and what he wants his life to be and his responsibility in being in the driver’s seat for that. In a funny way, just like he helped Mickey discover and come to terms with being in charge of his own life, I think that Mickey has definitely been somebody that has helped Ian in that for himself in a number of ways, especially in the season we were exploring a lot of the bipolar disorder. They both provided a safe haven and a support for one another.

TVLINE | Is there a scenario in which these two can make it work?
I think they definitely can. The love is there. The dedication to one another is obviously there. I think it’s more circumstantial, and [about] whether or not that’s actually best or in everyone’s highest interest. I think that’s a better question.

Shameless fans, what did you think of the episode and “Gallovich’s” goodbye?

1. Kiki Heus says:

It”s “Gallavich”

2. Danny123 says:

F**k this show. Its not getting another season anyway thanks to a certain actress wanting a pay raise. Why couldn’t they both just leave together. Camerons too busy to be on another season anyway. Again f**k this show.

• Nan says:

They will probly come to a agreement with Emmy think positive. Plus they will have extra money since Carl won’t be in eight

• Not only does Emmy Rossum deserve a raise – she, not William H. Macy – is the closest thing the show has to a ‘main character’ and actresses, unfortunately, face a gender pay gap as is common thoughout the economy. In any case, the situation was resolved yesterday and she was granted the raise (the negative publicity for Showtime along with strong support from Macy and other cast members seemed to have a major effect). They will be having an 8th season.

3. james adams says:

Breathed a sigh of relief tonight that they left things open ended for Mickey and Ian. i was afraid they were going to kill off one or both of them. Now I can look forward to season 8 and hopefully more Gallavich. Now the only loose end for season 7 is what the hell does Ian do to get home and back to work? i can live with that until next week.

4. Brianna says:

We know he’s never going to come back. This entire 2 ep arch was all for ratings. The right thing to do would have mickey send ian back, not ian dumping him all over again with “this isn’t me anymore”. The idea that he’s outgrown him is stupid as f***. Done with shameless thanks for ruining the best part of ur show.

• SouthSide says:

”Gallavich” as u ”shippers” called their relationship was one of the weakest parts of the show, good riddance!

• Nea says:

I love this show but with Mickey and Ian not together I can’t watch. They were really why I watched the show anyway. Sorry Mickey you been through hell with Ian to end up alone again. Love Mickey❤️

5. Pat says:

i’m done with this show. Shameless pr baited fans so hard and then they did this. goodbye.

6. SouthSide says:

Good riddance to overrated irittating stupid character that was Mickey it was about time & stay there. There are far more interesting characters like Sheila, Mandy, Karen, Jody etc. who needed to come back. Even Sammi (who knew to be iritating) added some dynamic to the show but Mickey?! Absolutely nothing. Nothing but a bully & wannabe show-off that reeks & he always treated Ian (still does) like garbage. Hurray, good f****** riddance indeed!

• Nae says:

When Ian and Mickey got together he never treated Ian mean. It was Ian who was the one treating Mickey messed up👎

• SouthSide says:

I think we were watching different show then, Mickey was always a jerk towards Ian, he only showed a little bit of soft side when Ian felt into big depression and that was the tiny part of it. In this episode he still acted nasty towards Ian. Ian ermm… writers did the right thing by parting ways with him. 👍

• Sharon says:

you saw what you wanted to see. in the beginning of the show Mickey was the asshole then they switched and Ian became the asshole. (6×1) but at the end of the day they both hurt each other which is why they deserve each other and are perfect for each other

• Cas says:

Lol I could have understood this until you added Jody to the list. Now clearly you have bad taste.

• SouthSide says:

“Bad taste”? Opinions differ. At least i’m not sharing the opinions of dumb colective aka circlejerks like u, i stick by mine. And yeah, i find Jody way morevinteresting than scumbag Mickey.

7. SouthSide says:

”Gallavich” gets on my nerves. I hate ”shippers” in general they’re so iritttaing. I’m so glad all of u fantasizers got disatisfying ending, Ian needs someone ”better” at his side. Shameless sucks nowdays but it still isn’t Once Upon A Time – a show where shippers decide who is getting with whom.

• SouthSide says:

Correction: They don’t decide, they dictate! And a dumb writers obey to them how pathetic! All for the ratings. Which is why scumbag Mickey was brought to Shameless in the 1st place….only cuz of the ratings!

8. Paula says:

This show is f**king s**t. All of the producers and writers are f**king s**t. Cameron Monaghan is aching to leave this cesspool so why not allow Ian and Mickey to have their happy ending? Noel Fisher and his character are much too good for Suckless anyway! Now let’s watch fan indignation burn it to the ground.

9. SouthSide says:

Wish they killed him off permanently, by using fugitive Sammi to finish what she started. :p

10. SouthSide says:

Bring back Sheila along with Mandy, Karen, Jody etc. if the show gets renewed for shortened final S8.

11. frokentv says:

This episode was sooooo bad. It was just horrible.

12. Domain Spy says:

May I just say what a comfort to uncover a person that truly knows what
    they are discussing on the web. You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More people need to check this out and understand this side of the story.
    I was surprised you are not more popular since you
    most certainly have the gift.

13. Lauren says:

What happened to the Barry Sloane guesting?

14. Alec says:

Best couple on television.

15. Sharon says:

i think that that ending was bull**** i dont see the point of bringing him back in the first place just to end their story this way. it would have been nice for a gay couple to get a happy ending since we rarely get those. but lots of kudos to Cameron and Noel for always bringing the characters alive and all the emotion they put on the acting. they give me feels everytime.

16. Jamie says:

I actually thought that the ending was well done. Obviously not what I would have wanted to see, but it was good to see Ian putting his life, stability, and future first. I love Ian and Mickey together, but do people really want Ian living as a fugitive? He’s stable on his medication, he has a good job and a savings account, and he is settling into a life. I hope that they are able to find their way back to each other, but right now, Ian is stable, and I hope that continues for him.

17. Hi every one, here every person is sharing these kinds of know-how, so
    it’s pleasant to read this blog, and I used to pay a visit this website everyday.

18. Sandra Dorado says:

I didn’t like the escape from prison idea at all. I mean Mickey has a sister who’s doing well. She could of helped him get out with a better lawyer. If you think about it tho Ian’s been a bigger jerk to Mickey. Not looking forward to more seasons.

19. Rhiannon says:

I thought the episode was really well put together. However , it isn’t over yet. Mickey and Ian will be back together again. If they don’t, that would be a SHAME! ;)

20. April says:

I honestly didn’t like the way things ended with Ian and Mickey but i can’t change what happened so it is what it is. However i think there is a possibility of Mickey’s character being brought back season 8. Because the fact they ditched Mickey’s cell mate, if they find him and he rats out mickey that could be a way for them to bring him back and possibly be with Ian since he was with him, even though Ian didn’t cross the boarder with him he still had a part in it

• mike sims says:

The FEDS were probably following Ian electronically. The bank Withdrawal will probably be brought up in a future episode as well as ATM fuel purchases. Mickey was possibly nabbed a few miles into Mexico and sent back to the U.S. (before Ian even made it to the Greyhound station) where he got a new public defender who got him of all attempted murder charges but not the escape which he serves six months for then released free and clear and returns a few episodes into season 8.
      Now wouldn’t that be really cool!?

21. Kim says:

I hope they let Mickey and Ian be together. Mickey will give his life for Ian and that feeling has stole the people last hearts. You got to let that be the one story that the couple stays together. Ian has earned true love and happiness, he hasn’t fully got that from any other partner.

22. Emily says:

The love between Mickey and Ian will always be there and Mickey definitely needs to come back for season 8