The Vampire Diaries Recap

Vampire Diaries Recap: Scary Christmas

The Ghosts of Christmas Past and Present paid a visit to Mystic Falls on Friday’s Vampire Diaries, laying the groundwork for a pretty grim future.

Let’s begin in the present, where Stefan vowed to spend his last day as a free vampire celebrating Christmas Eve with Caroline — a plan which lasted for all of five minutes. I mean, it’s kind of hard to enjoy the holidays with your fiancée when your brother and his evil siren girlfriend crash your dinner, hellbent (teehee!) on stealing one of your guests’ souls. It’s also tricky when your brother literally kills you, forcing you to spend the whole night reliving your treacherous past with the devil himself. (More on that later.)

Caroline did a lovely job setting up dinner for everyone — additional kudos to Sybil on that savage bird-carving — but even she knew who was really in control of the meal. In an attempt to pick the darkest, tastiest soul in the bunch, Damon rehashed the Donovan family’s past sins: Matt killing Penny (hey, low blow!) and “Peter” abandoning his son while he was still in utero. Fortunately, they both got to leave the Salvatore Mansion with their bodies in one piece. (Their hearts, however? Shattered.)

And that wasn’t the only madness Stefan missed while taking his little “nap.” He also didn’t see Damon receive a special gift from Caroline — Elena’s necklace! — thus triggering his memories of her. And he definitely didn’t see Damon rip out Sybil’s heart on a damn city bench. (That said, don’t throw dirt on her grave just yet. She was featured in the promo for the next episode.)

Now, for the past: Through a series of flashbacks, we learned that (bearded) Stefan has a history with Caroline and Alaric’s “hot nanny!” Following a Ripper-induced massacre in 1917, Seline came to Stefan with the intention of delivering his soul to Cade — but after looking into his mind, she determined he wasn’t inherently evil. Apparently, Cade’s had his eye on Stefan ever since.

During Stefan’s little death nap, Cade also took him back to Mystic Falls High School, where he explained that the only way Stefan could have protected Elena was by not meeting her in the first place. By pursuing her (“I have to know her!”), he deterred her from the correct path. I’m not entirely sure what he meant by all of that — is he suggesting Elena has an impure soul? — but it felt very full-circle and made me pretty emotional. (Guys, there are less than 10 episodes left!)

Lastly, the future… Thanks to our interview with Candice King, we know that we’re in for a medium-sized time jump — like, say, the 365 days for which Stefan promised to be Cade’s personal Ripper, perhaps? — but it’s anyone’s guess what will have happened in the meantime. Will Seline successfully sever her psychic link to the twins? Will Bonnie and Enzo have a nice time in Paris? Will Stefan decide to remain a Ripper and grow out his beard?!

Either way, we’re almost at the end of the finish line, friends. So give the fall finale a grade below, then drop a comment with your thoughts and hopes for 2017.

1. Malachi says:

Horrible. Just the same over and over again. The end of this show will suck.

• Helen says:

Agree, it’s fall final of the final season! 1 siren’s dead, so? Whatever. Stefan have killed kids, oh well I’m sure he didn’t mean to, so it’s okay. Steroline is 4ever the healthiest ship

2. Kinz says:

Once again Stefan goes ripper. I’m so tired. I kind of hope the brothers die for good so I can be shocked about something for once.

3. Melissa says:

Anyone else feel like in the end, Elena’s memories of the Salvatores will be wiped clean so she can go back on the “correct” path?
    Also, Ripper Stefan was predictable (again). But maybe it will be fun to watch the brothers together again?

• Ma says:

I agree!! None of it makes sense! It use to be fun and exciting! Now just very boring with no story! I honestly am glad they are ending it cuz in my opinion it’s not the vampire diaries everyone loved and wanted to see! Julie had said she wanted to make this show great like ” Friday night lights”! But by the way they turned this show it’s not even close to FNL! Won’t be a show I’d go back and watch!

• Melissa says:

Same! I don’t think I would rewatch this show again, especially if it continues on the same predictable path we are seeing right now. This show I no FNL! Having all the storylines wrapped up in bow would not work for this show.

4. Liz frustrated af says:

This episode was a huge let down. Everything was so predictable. I really can’t believe this was the mid-season finale. Steroline made me cringe. The rewriting of the ripper portion of Stefan’s life just makes me mad. Can they not leave one section of TVD history alone? And why does Stefan always have some connection to the bad guys? They really don’t need to link him to everyone. And the fact that every villian wants him is getting to be ridiculous. TVD is not living up to the series finale hype. They made this season more complicated then it should be. Let’s not get start on what a pain Damon’s been. These writers are something else.

5. секс says:

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write.
    The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are
    not afraid to say how they believe. At all times follow
    your heart.

6. Val M says:

I repeat what I said in other side… Basically now Bonnie has Caroline’s storyline (being in a happy relationship) and Caroline has Bonnie’s (trying to get back her man)… Well I hope Caroline fails and SC end for good… TEAM CADE

7. Hannah says:

Steroline is.. so … boring… and Delena has been going on for way to long like I just don’t care for this fan serviced ship anymore + the chemistry of that couple died back in season 4 along with their real life relationship. Stelena was really exciting season 3 + a beautiful relationship seasons 1 & 2 and Klaroline has always been exciting + has potential to be great. BRING THEM BACK PLEASE

8. LizLem says:

Bonnie & Enzo are always adorbs. Would be nice to focus more on their stories (separately as well as together). The rest of the show has become a bit of a chore (though I’m liking Matt, Seline, Cade is serviceable…) and the usual suspects & their plots seem irretrievably, annoying lost.

9. Anna says:

Why wasn’t Bonnie affected before in the driveway by the fork when Damon was chasing her to kill her?

Is Seline just a mortal siren now?

Why would Seline live with Sybil after the latter betrayed her?

Finally but not least, did Sybil put her heart back in place a la OUAT or did it grow back like Enzo’s organs after each torture’s session?

Disappointing show!

10. Anecia Smith says:

I’m going to miss these guys(except for Caroline who never was my favorite ) but I am mostly glad Bonnie found the right man to be with. Enzo and Bonnie were made for each other. I just wish they had more time to be together like Elena and Damon were. Thanks Ms. Plec for an awesome show.

11. JJLantern says:

I wasn’t going to comment this week because I was somewhat satisfied with this episode until I noticed that in the poll an overwhelming majority thought the episode was awesome or very good yet most of the comments here were negative. Despite there still being major holes in this season’s story I am happy they are finally talking about redemption and bringing the focus back to our main characters more than the sirens. It gives me hope for the rest of the season.
    Sure, the stupid ‘Stefan has a pure heart despite being an evil ripper’ nonsense is still hard to swallow. And sure, we could all see most of the plot coming from miles away. But, our beloved actors finally seem to be unleashed and that makes it all worth it.

It could just be in contrast to how restrained almost everyone’s acting has been this season so far, but last night they were off the chain. This was finally the Paul and Ian I know and love, and, for me, this was Candice’s second best performance ever. (Her best performance was S6E16 when Ian directed my favorite stand-alone episode “Downward Spiral.”) In last night’s episode I was able to overlook story elements I didn’t like because my peeps were so awesome!

Plus, honestly, I am glad they revisited the Ripper of Monterrey and explained how Stefan managed to not be destroyed by guilt. I think it added a lot to the overall story of the Salvatores. After all, a lot of Damon’s destruction has been to cover up for his guilt but Stefan didn’t feel guilt the same way and therefore has been so judgmental of Damon despite his own faults. If Seline somehow psychically brainwashed him not to feel guilt the same way it could explain his lack of empathy for his brother’s faults. I still think they have overdone this whole Stefan is good and Damon is bad thing to death and, sadly, it looks like they will continue it to the end. But in spite of that as long as the humor is back (and tonight it was in spades) and our actors remain unchained I will remain loyal even if we don’t get any happy endings.

12. Zeus pimentel says:

Is elena comming back during. The episodes
    13 14 15 16

13. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this web page is actually good.

14. hydro czesci says:

fantastic issues altogether, you simply received a new reader.
    What could you recommend about your post that you simply made some days in the
    past? Any certain?

15. Nika says:

I believe that the series finale is set up that for the only way Damon could return being a lets say nice guy, is for Elena to show up. That is the only way Damon could be really being convince he needs to change. He wont change until something really drastic happens to him and in this case he is longing for Elena since the show begin, so Elena is the only person who can really change him, not even Stephan. I guess Julie could be really cooking something and trying to get Nina back for the finale.

16. Luv&Lafta says:

WTF is wrong with JP. She just had to ruin everything here is what should happen kill selin,Cad,Siren and add Damon 2 d list too. I used to love him so much but now I can’t see him on my screen without rolling my eyes. Just do me a favour and end this poor excuse for TV.

17. Luv&Lafta says:

Pls stop with d whole Elena longing its very direspectful to Bonnie, stop ruining Damon for me. I’m sick of the whole Elena and Cad crap, focus on character building forgodsakes this is d last season I just want the show to have a befitting end.

18. ife says:

the writer of tvd is ruining Damon 4 me. i love delena and steroline but the love scenes suck and the spark of the show is going down d drain. i am begining to think the ending is going to be stupid. which won’t be good for everyone

19. I am sad where and when does Elena come back to save Damon?

20. Jackie Mifflin says:

Perfect ending would be a happy one Damon and become human and leave mystic falls married human and pregnant.

21. Samantha herrald says:

when does it start again? i need to know lol