Post Mortems
Fuller House Spoilers

Fuller House Boss Defends D.J.'s Choice in Season 2: 'They're a Fun, Hot Couple'

We’re honestly not sure which surprised us more: D.J.’s choice between Matt and Steve in Fuller House‘s second season, or the fact that she was actually able to make a decision at all.

As you’ll recall, Season 1 ended with D.J. kicking both guys to the curb, and Season 2 only complicated the triangle further by adding two new girlfriends to the mix. So you can understand my shock that she actually reached a decision — especially so early in the new season.

But… why Matt?

“Matt has become [D.J.’s] business partner, they’re both veterinarians and they have a lot in common,” series creator Jeff Franklin tells TVLine. “I think they have great chemistry together, the way their personalities mesh. I also think they have a physical attraction to each other — they’re a fun, hot couple.”

But that’s not to say D.J.’s feelings for Steve are gone completely. Not by a long shot, my friends.

“This storyline has lots of twists and turns yet to come, so we don’t think it’s over over,” Franklin says of the love triangle. “I think fate has stepped in and pulled D.J. in one direction, but there’s also a lot of interesting things about her relationship with Steve. I’m not sure that’s completely over.”

Franklin adds, “We love both of the characters and both of the actors. I saw a lot of online polls where it was really split down the middle; there wasn’t a clear winner among the fans. … Hopefully we have lots of seasons to explore that.”

How do you feel about D.J. choosing Matt over Steve? Watch a (spoiler-y!) interview with the cast below, then vote for your suitor of choice.

1. Dominique says:

i don’t know what polls he’s been looking at, but overall, steve is the much more popular choice, especially for die-hard fans who were huge fans of the original full house.

2. Cas says:

Always Steve (I hope he isn’t as odd in season 2). Matt is good looking but doesn’t seem real interested in kids and I think that is important.

• Lorna says:

Ummm did you not see when he cared for her kids and Joey after the donut ep? I love Steve, but DJ and Matt have chemistry. Want to see where that goes.

3. Jacqi says:

I love john brotherton (who plays matt) but i have to go with steve!!!

4. Asia says:

I’m only up to episode 3 but I had already guessed this from the trailer. DJ was standing next to Matt but she shared a look with Steve. I’m assuming that’s the New Year’s episode because they were all dressed up. Regardless I will always be team Steve. Seriously, if DJ hadn’t needed a dead husband for the show to work Steve would have been it.

5. I know it’s never going to happen but all three of them have chemistry, so I’m still here for Matt/DJ/Steve.

6. Angela says:

The writing on Fuller House has been slanted towards Matt since he first shared a scene with DJ. So over the character, he’s not that great and he and DJ have no chemistry.

7. C says:

Matt is OK but DJ is meant to be with Steve! I’m so upset.

8. Sara says:

Well this poll sure isn’t slanted. I think dj and Steve fans have waited long enough. It was obvious that they are having dj and Matt now just to give them their go.

9. Mimi says:

Sorry, but they need to make Steve little less creepy for me to want him with DJ. Also, the actor did NOT age well.

10. Tara says:

I was a huge fan of Full House as s little girl, but I just can’t go with Steve. He did not age well and is super creepy in Fuller House. Matt is hot! Let Steve marry CJ and keep him as DJs friend. He can still make appearances. I think DJ has better chemistry with Matt.