Pitch Season 1 Finale Recap

Pitch Finale: EP on Ginny's [Spoiler], #Bawson Future, Season 2 Chances

Warning: This post contains major spoilers from Pitch‘s Season 1 finale.

No offense to Black Violin and the Pitch theme song, but Ginny Baker should probably have some fear as the baseball drama wraps its rookie season.

After all, an injury the young pitcher incurs while on her way to her first Major League no-hitter sends her straight into the MRI… and viewers straight into a cliffhanger as the as-yet-unrenewed series enters hiatus.

The incident caps an hour that finds Ginny wanting to discuss that near-kiss with Mike — and him blocking her at every opportunity. We also learn that Rachel has broken up with her fiancé; but after Mike shows up at her hotel room and they have sex, he’s ready to jump back into something with her… and she’s not. (Meanwhile, Ginny sleeps with Noah, who wants to whisk her away on vacation during her break.)

On the Will front: Ginny’s brother confesses that he used some of the restaurant money to pay off his shady business contacts; Ginny promptly asks him to leave. She’s even madder at Amelia for getting involved in family business without Ginny’s knowledge. They have a very loud, very mean fight right before Ginny’s game, and it certainly seems like they’ve parted ways: When Amelia sees news footage of her client’s injury, she only pauses briefly before getting on a plane she’s about to board.

We talked to executive producer/series co-creator Rick Singer about the season-ending episode, Ginny’s take-charge monologue on the mound, Blip and Evelyn’s marital strife, a possible Season 2 and — of course — #Bawson. Read on for the details.

TVLINE | I loved Ginny’s monologue on the mound, which seemed to speak to how far she’s come since the first time we saw her up there, talking to Mike.
That speech on the mound, we felt, was a perfect bookend to the, yeah, speech that Mark-Paul [Gosselaar] gives her in the pilot. And it’s a great representation of how much she’s grown and changed… The course of our first season was about her coming into her own fully, to the point at which she has learned to finally say no and stand up for herself and say no to Amelia, say no to Will, and speak up for herself.

We felt that was a great Part 1 of this, of showing her journey unfold in a way that felt organic and right to us. But then on top of it, the reason that she’s pitching the no-hitter is that, as a result of freeing herself from some of the things that she’d been shackled by before and really holding her own space… she’s able to be free in a way on the mound that she hasn’t been before — and that leads to results that she hasn’t had before.

So she has this incredibly triumphant, fabulous outing that’s building and building toward that great speech with Mike on the mound, where she’s really owning it, and she clearly feels like she’s come into her own. And then, the interesting thing about life is, it still throws you curveballs… That was interesting to us, that as she’s cleared the decks and put herself in a position where to some degree, she has wanted to kind of stand on the mountaintop alone and face everything alone, now she’s in the deepest of the valleys, and she has to face it alone.

TVLINE | Part of that clearing of the decks addresses Noah, and it seems like maybe she’s not as into the idea of being swept off her feet as she originally thought. Is that an accurate reading of the moment?
No. For me, that is a moment of personal empowerment rather than a recognition that she’s not into him. I think it’s all in keeping in that moment where she’s on a roll and thinking out loud and it’s just coming to her, but the whole concept is really, like, “You know what? I don’t need you coming in on your white horse to rescue me. I don’t need anybody else. I’m here. I’m doing this. I’m in it, and I don’t need some billionaire to rescue me.” It wasn’t a denigration of her connection with Noah. I think that it was a denigration of this idea that “I’m someone who needs to be taken care of, I’m someone who can’t do it on my own.”

I was very pleased with the chemistry that [Kylie Bunbury and Tyler Hilton] had, and he’s delightful. That was one of the great surprises and fun elements of this episode, is how when we first started exploring the idea of reexamining, like, Rachel’s connection [with Mike] and going a little further with Ginny and Noah’s connection, off of the intensity of how the previous episode ended.

TVLINE | It’s refreshing to see Mike be the one who’s more spun by his almost-kiss with Ginny. Ginny seems so much more in control of knowing how she wants to handle the situation. How would you characterize their relationship, moving forward?
Listen, the tricky part of the undeniable connection between Ginny and Mike is that as Ginny says, as long as they’re teammates, it is somewhat untenable, certainly forbidden to a certain degree. But also, one of the great thing about it is that it’s out there now. Like, it’s undeniable. There is this connection, there is this chemistry, and so that informs everything going forward between the two of them. But there’s also this undeniable fact that it just is so inconvenient on all fronts.

… I was very pleased with the mislead, of feeling like he’s going to Ginny’s hotel room, and the anticipation of, “Oh my God, what’s that confrontation going to be like?” It’s a really tense moment. It’s really surprising that it’s actually Rachel’s room that he goes to, and I do think he’s very happy to see her at the game in the end. That, to me, leaves the possibilities for both Mike and Rachel and Ginny and Noah open-ended going forward; they both have connections with these other people.

But that said, the cat’s out of the bag, and [Mike and Ginny] both know that this incredibly strong bond that the two of them have, and attraction they have for each other is just always going to be there… Everything up until Episode 9, there was plausible deniability. Now there is not. So, it just makes for an interesting thing over the long haul.

Pitch Finale Season 1 RecapTVLINE | Can we talk about Blip and Evelyn? Because I love them, and they are not in a great place at the end of the episode, with him wanting more kids and her wanting to pursue a business.
We felt as though every marriage goes through different things, different bumps in the road. This felt like a very real possibility that you’ve got kids, and kids who are almost 8 years old, you’re sort of going to go one way or another as a couple.

…We’ve been hinting at this other side of Evelyn for a few episodes now, that she has this other side, has this whole plan and ambition when she was in school, and what she always sort of saw herself as, and she has this natural mind for business… We’ve explored issues from their marriage, mainly from the perspective of how much she had had to sacrifice, how much she’d done. but ultimately, they always come back to common ground.

This was a big one. Like, that concept of people being on opposite sides of whether they want to have more kids or not. It’s very rich territory and very relatable territory, very real within couples. And it wasn’t something that we wanted to touch on and wrap up in a single episode. It felt too big and too interesting. I just think it’s unrealistic to have couples always be perfect and happy.

TVLINEWhen I spoke with Mark-Paul and Kylie a few weeks ago, both of them were like, “Oh, we’re definitely getting a Season 2.” What are your feelings on that? Have there been any discussions with the network?
There’s an enormous amount of love for the show internally, on a creative level, from both the studio and the network. They recognize how special it is, and we certainly got an indication from that, that they are inclined to do more. We certainly haven’t heard anything official, and nothing’s a given, but I certainly like our chances, and I think that what’s great is clearly the people who are connecting with the show are connecting passionately.

What did you think of the finale? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to flesh out your thoughts!

1. Jane says:

My only complaint is to whoever made the promo for this episode: They put in the shot of her getting the MRI, which was the very last shot of the episode.

2. Tvdiva731 says:

I need this show back . Even if it’s mid season I’ll take it. Different night though please!

3. LADY_in_MD says:

Please renew Pitch! It’s been one of my favorite new shows and I don’t even like baseball
    I was kinda happy that Ginny and Mike didn’t hook up cause I see him more as a mentor for her
    Also was hoping Amelia wouldn’t get on the plane

4. sladewilson says:

Send this to Fox – PLEASE RENEW THIS SHOW.

• Jim says:

It’s not happening. Not on Fox. There might be enough buzz for it to get another home, but it can’t be cheap to make.

5. Jill says:

This is the only show, other than This is Us, that I would be heartbroken over if it doesn’t come back.

6. tina says:

Pitch I love you!!! Please don’t leave me!!! Seriously, I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed the entire cast of a show as much as I do this one.

7. Super-fan says:

Great close to the season. Loved Ginny’s monologue. As much as I am a hardcore Bawson fan…I can’t deny that Noah is awesome…and I like the idea of Ginny having rships outside baseball and Noah offers that. Blip/Mike & Amelia/Ginny broke my heart. Evelyn cracked me up with her “Say more words” line to Ginny.
    I love this show and I hope it’s renewed.

8. Penny says:

I really hope this show gets renewed! Although Mark’s Instagram post tonight shows he shaved his beard. I hope that isn’t a sign he knows something we don’t.

• DreamRose311 says:

Surely there’d be more than enough time to grow it back before starting to film again. Plleeeeease let this show come back. It’s nice to hear that they’ve gotten positive vibes… I hope the hold.

9. Ally Oop says:

I really like this show. Hopefully it won’t make it onto my long list of shows I liked that were cancelled too soon.

10. queensgirl says:

As a female die-hard baseball (Mets!) fan, I was really looking forward to Pitch, but after the first few episodes, I wasn’t feeling it yet. Since then, though, I feel that the show has found its way, and I’d like to see it return.

11. Chaya says:

As a long time Padres fan, I had no hope that this would be the teams first no-hitter. Even then, I was nervous to see what happened. I can’t tell you how much this episode refelected the fans’ perspective of the real life version of the team. I do hope it comes back I next year.

12. Izzy says:

Yes, please renew PITCH. A creative, underestimated show, Pitch needs to stay on the air!

13. Becca says:

Another stellar episode of a rich, multilayered series. Please, bring this back, Fox. It’s such outstanding storytelling with so many intriguing avenues to explore.

14. Big Cheddar says:

If Scream Queens gets renewed, but this doesn’t, I’m going to be pissed!

15. jovana says:

Please renew this show!

16. Giving away the cliffhanger in the promo wasn’t that good of an idea.

That said, we have a good season ending episode, but if that’s a series ending episode, it’s a terrible finale. If the show is renewed, we just assume it’s a career ending injury, Ginny never reconciles with Amelia, or her brother, and never makes it back to the majors. We can assume that Blip never has a third kid, Ginny’s brother has a miserable life, and things don’t work out.

Kind of reminds me of V, which ended with the aliens taking over humanity, or Alcatraz, which ended with the main character flat lining.

I always feel that if you’re not renewed, don’t do a cliffhanger.

• But like, if it ends nicely with eveyone happy and satisfied, then it’s almost like saying to the network: hey, you can cancel us, the fans got everything they wanted, which is something Kevin Falls addressed in another interview and I’ll quote it here: “But we could’ve maybe ended where she got the runner out or we could have ended with some version of a different ender that’s more upbeat, but then we started thinking, Why are we trying to help the decision to end the show by wrapping the series in a way that satisfies everybody? We feel like we’re a great show that we feel deserves a second season. Not to mention that in this era of repeat viewing, word of mouth, people can go back and binge it and then they want it. So the feeling was that we just wanted to have a cliffhanger, because we want a second season and we always thought that we’re going to get one and we’re still confident that we will.”
      Which seems pretty reasonable to me, honestly. They also talked about the possibility of this show going to the MLB network, like FNL did switching to Directv.

17. c-mo says:

I’ll start this by saying that I haven’t watched the finale yet, I was watching my Chiefs take apart the Raiders on TNF last night but I love this show so I had to comment…
    The best part of sports is rooting for the deserving underdog and Pitch is definitely that. This show has been very good at showing a glimpse of the behind the scenes grittiness and gore that goes on in baseball and it’s been great. The characters are all so well written and I’m sure there’s somewhat of an equivalent in MLB, even if that wasn’t the intention. I hope, beyond hope that FOX realizes that they need this show, their baseball ratings are abysmal (the Cubs can’t play in the WS every year) and maybe one can help the other. Please FOX, renew this show already!

18. herman1959 says:

This show has developed into one with a diverse cast of characters who actually care about and talk to each other. It has fans who care about it too. Hopefully, FOX is smart enough to to appreciate what it has, renew it, and really promote it…PLEASE.

19. Joey Padron says:

Great interview. Hope the show will get renewed! It’s a great show.

20. Doug Henning says:

I really have enjoyed this season.. Wasn’t sure going in whether I was.. One of the best things was hearing and seeing Dick Enberg for probably the last time unless they renew and bring him back… It was unrealistic anyway on the TV side since it had him doing FS1 broadcasts when he was a local San Diego only broadcaster but this is all fiction anyway… I wonder when this show was shot.. Loved the line that it was OK Mike wasn’t traded… Cubs would never win..

• Kevin said in another interview that it was something they put there after they won, as a nod to the fans (because on the show they are on september 1st, I think)

• :-) says:

The line about the Cubs not winning was a perfectly delivered tongue in cheek line. You knew it had to be placed there purposely. I giggled when he said it. This from a person that rarely watches any sports.

21. I loved the episode and indeed Mike is happy to see Rachel, but I do hope he realizes that he deserves better than being with someone who cheated on him and made him think it was his fault. He makes a joke about not leaving her because he got her, but it’s incredibly distressful to me that he thinks he is the one to blame for her cheating (yes, marriage is a two way relationship, but cheating isn’t ok, she could’ve divorced him).

22. kmw says:

Being good creatively doesn’t pay the bills and if FOX loved this show so much how come they put that clunker of Rosewood in front of it. I will applaud FOX if they give the show another chance but their ratings don’t say that they deserve it. Did FOX really believe Pitch was so good out of the gate that putting it with Rosewood wouldn’t matter? No matter how good a show isand no doubt Pitch is good, new shows deserve good lead ins( This is us got a cushy lead in from The Voice and now it is overtaking even them). Pitch definitely deserved fall slot just not on Thursday nights. Hope for the best for the show and its fans

23. LaDonna says:

I may be wrong, but if they don’t renew this on network TV, I think Pitch would be a great fit for a Netflix or Hulu platform. It’s kind of seasonal and could be released in conjunction with baseball season next year like they did this year, but since the streaming services tend to release all episodes at the same time once a year, this might fit their model better. I certainly hope we haven’t seen the last of Pitch! My daughter and I both really love this show!

24. RichieS says:

So did the relief pitcher that pitched the 9th complete the no-hitter?

25. cjcampbell08 says:

This is my favorite new show and I have never even been a baseball fan! It’s so well written and produced. I will be so heartbroken if it doesn’t get renewed!!

• ninergrl6 says:

Same. I *hate* baseball but I *love* Pitch. Along with Timeless, it’s my favorite new show this season, and I hope beyond hope that they both get renewed.

26. dq18 says:

I planned on disliking this show. I wasn’t going to watch it. Then I read an article talking about how the end of the first episode had a twist and I was curious. I watched it, and it was pretty good. I’m fairly die-hard baseball so I wanted to steer clear of the soap opera it could have been. I honestly adore this show. It seems real and goofy, and typical of how many baseball players are in real life. I love the Ginny/Mike dynamic, I don’t want to see them together now but it would be a nice end game maybe. Honestly, I just love the chemistry of the cast as a whole and I hope we get another season!

27. Ally Oop says:

I binge-watched the whole season this week and love the show. The finale left me really wanting more. Pitch deserved a better lead in.

28. Melissa says:

This is the best show on tv!! The cast, the story…all of it!! It has to come back!!!

29. MELODY says:

I am not a baseball fan but I’m with Tina, this show is one of the best shows on TV, don’t cut please I am looking forward to season 2.

30. Nancy Bloomer says:

Bring it back for Season 2! I loved it!