The Good Fight Premiere Date

The Good Fight Premiere Date Set

Reserve your ringside seat now: The Good Fight will commence in roughly two months.

CBS has announced that its all-digital Good Wife spinoff will make its broadcast debut on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 8/7c. The premiere will bow simultaneously on the network’s streaming service CBS All Access, which will exclusively host all of Season 1’s remaining episodes. And we repeat: Following premiere night, all new episodes will be available on subsequent Sundays only on CBS All Access.

As previously reported, The Good Fight picks up one year after the events of last May’s finale and stars Good Wife vets Christine Baranski (Diane), Cush Jumbo (Lucca) and Sarah Steele (Marissa). In the offshoot, an enormous financial scam has destroyed the reputation of Diane’s goddaughter, Maia (Game of Thrones‘ Rose Leslie), while simultaneously wiping out Diane’s savings. Forced out of Lockhart & Lee, Diane and Marissa join Lucca at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms.

The ensemble also includes Good Wife newbies Delroy Lindo (Chicago Code), Paul Guilfoyle (CSI), Bernadette Peters (Smash), Justin Bartha (The New Normal) and Erica Tazel (Justified). Additionally, Gary Cole will reprise his role as Diane’s hubby Kurt McVeigh on a recurring basis and Zach Grenier (David) and Jerry Adler (Howard) will guest star in the premiere.

The Good Fight‘s debut was moved up from its originally scheduled Spring 2017 launch to fill the void left by Star Trek: Discovery, which was delayed from January 2017 to May 2017.

1. Rachel Maurer says:

so we can’t watch if we don’t have their stupid app? really?

2. LynnH says:

Why “all digital”? What’s the point of that? CBS owns it so they get all the ad money. Why not also air it on TV? Do they really believe that everyone interested in the show will pay for it? Hmm.

• Jeremy says:

CBS has all but given up premiering new serialized dramas on the network because it’s viewers mostly prefer cop/law procedurals and sitcoms.
      All Access allows them to make decent programming… however, the way it’s set-up (paid service, limited content, and commercials) will surely cause it to fail.

• LK says:

The point is to entice people to sign up for their service by offering original content.

3. Lmm says:

Sucks we pay high prices for cable or satellite and yet we have pay ANOTHER monthly fee just to See This? So wrong! I refuse!

4. KBUS says:

Sounds interesting, but not interesting to pay for the CBS app. I’d at least DVR it and give it a chance otherwise.

5. Chris says:

I don’t know enough about CBS all access to know if these shows going exclusively to this platform is a good thing. If they offered a free w/ ads option (like Hulu) then this would be okay. They would want the show to succeed without being ran over by competition (which is a problem with most shows nowadays, DVR isn’t enough since you can fast forward through commercials). But if you HAVE to pay the monthly fee to watch thats pretty shady.

• Andrea says:

It will be interesting to see if people will actually do this. I understand paying for digital content. We have Amazon Video and Netflix, but I have a difficult time believing that everyone is going to want to pay for every single individual channel that they watch. Then you’ve gone from cutting the cord to simply moving the cord into the cloud. As others have said, I’m not going to be watching. If CBS wanted to work out a deal with Amazon or Netflix to ask me to pay $20-$25 for this particular series, that I would do, but I will not be signing up for a third streaming service.

• johnhelvete says:

Why would you pay Amazon or Netflix $20-$25 to watch this one series when you could simply wait until all of the episodes have been released and either do the one week free trial, pay $5.99 (commercials) or $9.99 (commercial free) for one month, and just cancel the service after the month is up. There is no contract for any of these streaming services.

• Andrea says:

That only works for the first season. What about the second when the free trial is over? I think the issue is that people don’t have as much of a problem paying for large scale streaming services like Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. Then, you can pick from an inventory of content across networks and decide the plans (or in Amazon’s case, a single TV Season Pass. that you want to buy (or don’t want to buy.) So yes, if Amazon wanted to say that they’d offer The Good Fight for $30 + an extra $10 to compensate CBS giving it to Amazon, yes, I’d do that. Then I can decide if I want that show (and only that show) or not. Same with future seasons, and I’m not endlessly turning services on and off for each network based on individual shows.

• LK says:

You can do the same thing for the second season… cancel and then pay for another month to watch all of the second season a year later.

6. Jess says:

All these people complaining about this show not being on tv need to start adjusting to the future. Tv is a thing of the past and online streaming is the future!!!

• canadian ninja says:

I think the complaints are more about second or third tier streaming services. People are willing to pay for netflix, hulu and even amazon but the more fractured the streaming options become the more consumers will start pulling back. Then the content makers will have to adjust to that.

• Andrea says:

Agreed, Canadian Ninja. There’s a difference between paying for Amazon Prime to get The Last Tycoon, for example, and what CBS is doing here. Most viewers are not network specific. They jump around, which is what Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix allow you to do. If each network starts charging $6 a pop, that’s $24 just for CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX. Then what about ESPN, AMC, HGTV, Food Network, or whatever one’s personal preferences are? It could get expensive very quickly, and THAT’s what people won’t do. I think CBS is hoping to use the prestige of The Good Wife to slide what they’re doing by the consumer

• Mike M says:

The content makers need to come into this space sure – but they have to be realistic. Until they have the content to play with the big boys they need to be doing this at $1 an episode, not $6 a month. The value in the purchase (when it’s being added on to the likes of Netflix) needs to be at least equal to the competition and preferably higher. Certainly not going to do well when it’s significantly lesser value, the majority of people will just spend that dollar elsewhere. Saying “we’re CBS we can charge the same way” just isn’t going to work like they think it will.

7. Steven says:

Will it be Sundays at 12am PT like Netflix?

8. racingphan says:

Screw that. I’m already paying for CBS in my cable bill! Greedy buzzards.

9. Al says:

Any details on international distribution? I know that Star Trek discovery will be on netflix internationally.

10. Jane says:

Seriously, who is going to pay extra for this and the few other shows they are going to have?

11. Do we know how many eps there will be in season 1?

12. I will not pay for another streaming app. I have Amazon, and Netfliks. That is enough. Wondering exactly how many people now watch CBS all access?

13. LK says:

Well I already have CBS All Access since I signed onto it for Big Brother feeds during the summer and then Big Brother: Over the Top which was all digital… willing to keep paying the $6 for this and then Star Trek until the next BB season starts.

14. sunshine says:

Ooh no, I thought it was supposed to be on HULU too, did that change?

15. For you “I want something free, get over it”. Like 6 buck a month or $1.50 and episode is going to put you in the poor house. With all the cable cutters out there, if I were CBS and had hot show like this, I would charge you MORE.

THAT said, I’m betting you can watch the show via Apple TV or other markets like Hula for around $2 bucks an episode.

Or you can just whine…

16. Mary says:

why don’t you put this on CBS network and watch the ratings go up. Would love to watch this but not if you are going to make it exclusive to CBS access. Disappointed.

17. Howard Cohen says:

I can do without it. I pay enough now for cable TV, how much more do they want to suck out of everyone.

18. Lee Johns says:

I might have more of a conspiracy theorist attitude towards this but what if enough people watch it? Will all the networks start pulling the same crap? How many years will it take before we will be paying for all the TV shows we would like to see? I will never pay to watch what should be a prime-time television show no matter how good it might be.

19. Denise LeFrancois says:

I have satellite internet, which means I can’t stream any TV! I would LOVE to watch The Good Fight but can’t! CBS, you made a huge mistake by doing this.

20. N. D. says:

First of all CBS programming is not that great. I can live without watching the Good Fight when there so many other great programs being offered on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

21. Tony Cynor says:

A Cord I don’t have to cut! I just won’t connect it. The show looks li9ke a telenovela and not a good one at that! Might buy it if it shows up on DVD but streaming HaHaHAhAhA! I say we make our own GOOD FIGHT”!

22. Tony Cynor says:

A Cord I don’t have to cut! I just won’t connect it. The show looks like a telenovela and not a good one at that! Might buy it if it shows up on DVD but streaming HaHaHAhAhA! I say we make our own GOOD FIGHT”!