Will Arrow's New Girlfriend Reveal His Lie? Plus, Did POTUS Out Team Arrow?

Tonight on Arrow (The CW, 8/7c), Oliver realizes that the elusive Prometheus knows each Team Arrow member’s true identity. But that is not the only secret Oliver need worry about seeing the light of day.

After all, as established prior to the crossover episode, reporter Susan Williams (guest star Carly Pope) has reason to suspect that the onetime billionaire/onetime playboy did not spend his entire five-year “death” stranded on the island of Lian Yu, but at the very least also set foot in Russian. Will Susan dig deeper and ultimately share this news with the people of Star City? Or will she do the man she is dating a solid and run her theory by him for comment?

“Where they go is interesting,” Stephen Amell says of the Oliver/Susan relationship. “Susan appears to be up to no good, but in reality she’s just following a very interesting story. I mean, the mayor of the town … was clearly not on island for five consecutive years.”

Amell then references the first Batman film directed by Christopher Nolan, “Where I think it’s Ra’s al Ghul who says, ‘The world is too small a place for someone like Bruce Wayne to disappear.’ Even if Oliver Queen wasn’t as famous [as Bruce Wayne] — and he wasn’t — he did perish in a very famous incident within our story. I always thought when he was in Hong Kong, someone would stop him and be like, ‘You look like Oliver Queen.’ So I’m glad that [this story beat] is happening.”

Mulling Susan’s options once armed with more clues, Amell says, “Maybe she threatens [Oliver] with it, but maybe his counter is different than what we’ve seen before? I also think that it would be most interesting if Susan Williams wasn’t just a spy in the weeds, in the way that there was no redeeming quality in Isabel Rochev (played by Summer Glau), who was there to play Oliver from the beginning. Maybe Susan Williams is learning something, but concurrently, maybe her relationship with Oliver will become dynamic” as a result.

legends-potus-deleteAs for the secret of Team Arrow’s true identities, we had to wonder: Did the splashy ceremony led by the President of the United States at the close of the “Heroes v Aliens” crossover event run the risk of outing the very private Oliver, if not other superfriends?

Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow EP Marc Guggenheim assured us that said ceremony was “relatively private,” attended strictly by POTUS plus military and ARGUS types. Also, “It’s not televised, and everyone’s in their costumes.” And once the champagne starts popping and Oliver, Barry et al return to street clothes, “No one else is around,” Guggenheim notes. “Hopefully, we’ve sufficiently maintained their identity.”

1. Cordell Garrett says:

Though if I was one of the sneaky writer types, i have one of those Government types try to blackmail one of the hero teams

2. Elizabeth says:

Go away, Susan! (Nothing against the actor. Everything to do with the character).

• kath says:

It’s just a replay of Isabel — sketchy female tries to take Oliver down (Isabel by ending QC, Susan by writing an expose on Oliver), he teams up with her and sleeps with her; he finds out he’s been stabbed in the back.
      Zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Lex says:

Did Kara explain kryptonite to Oliver? Because I’m pretty sure leggy brunettes are his kryptonite… I love the guy, but he can’t keep it in his pants. If it weren’t so annoying it would be funny.

3. kate says:

My question about the ceremony is not so much did that get publicized, but being the high mucky mucks were there maybe exonerate John so he doesn’t have to live in the HIVE bunker any longer.

Also, maybe because she is a good guy in the comics even if she is Green Lantern’s girlfriend and not Green Arrow’s, but I have always presumed it merely is the story that Susan is after, yes, she’d relish the gotcha moment, but its really nothing personal toward Oliver. What I keep thinking, though, is that there are some parts of the flashbacks where the people or things that Oliver was involved with might actually have a problem with a reporter nosing around. And while Lyla and Anatoli (the two organization I think would have the biggest issues) would more likely give Oliver a head’s up, they may have underlings who hear the information first and act much more like Lyla’s predecessor with said information. I keep thinking that would be an interesting turn for the flashbacks to take in the second half, obviously, he goes back to Lian Yu with the intention of being “rescued” and something causes him to make that decision, which flashback Ollie doesn’t seem close to just yet, but that some of the people he crossed in the Bratva story come back calling. Hell, its getting safer to assume Prometheus is connected to that than any of the obvious suspects.

4. anon says:

Dude, they had drinks twice with no implication of more. They aren’t dating and she’s not his girlfriend. How album get facts right before writing articles? This blatant lying is really low and unprofessional.

5. Jennifer says:

I don’t care about Oliver dating Susan Williams just not interested in them but I would love to see Susan Williams use him to make her career as a reporter and see what will happen to his life if she try tell the good people of star city about the mayor.

6. Liz says:

Huh? I didn’t even know Oliver was dating the reporter. When did that happen? lol

7. Rob Watkins says:

I don’t think they’re dating but there’s clearly flirtation going on. I like the character and I have a hard time believing those that don’t simply don’t like her because she’s with Oliver instead of Felicity.

• Liz says:

You can generalise if you want but it’s a little unfair. Oliver is an idiot for ‘dating’ a reporter, especially when he’s been told by his own sister that she’s up to no good. (Same way I think Felicity is an idiot for dating a cop when she does what she does at night.) But then this show has this problem every single season. Always making Oliver dumb for the sake of plot.

• Rob Watkins says:

It is a generalization, but a fair one. I’ve been around long enough to see it numerous times over the years when perfectly fine characters recieve a disporportionately negative reaction simply because they are seen as the impediment to some other couple. ANd who cares if she’s up to no good? The characters don’t have to be moral, they just need to be interesting. Sometimes I don’t think people can make that distinction. Doing things for the sake of plot implies that it’s out of character, but this is not.

• Max says:

Oliver is a smart guy. Not Felicity-smart but he knows people. He was a master manipulator back in season 1. Him trusting a reporter who’s coming on a little too strong is naive and completely out of character. But this is the year of retconning so…

• Lex says:

Sure. Go ahead and make the assumption that anyone who doesn’t like Susan only hates her for reasons relating to Oliver and Felicity’s relationship. However, my dislike is more on a meta level: why is the show trying so incredibly hard to sideline Olicity, after courting the audience for three-plus years? They began a love story, then dropped it. The baby mama drama was an unnecessary soap opera trope added to create *drama* and a fresh new season would have been a great way to move past it.

Instead, we get random love interest #1 in the detective, and random love interest #2 in Susan. The writers are willfully ignoring their original story, specifically to appeal to their comic book fanboys, who apparently are the little boy from the Princess Bride and hate “kissing stories.” Everything terrible about the back half of season 4 was blamed on Olicity, when there really was nothing objectionable about the couple.

Before the first baby mama drama appeared, in the beginning of season 4, the show got rave reviews for how it established Olicity as a baseline for the show, not the foreground of the story. It worked. Baby mama drama? Did anyone like that storyline?

However, apparently it was enough to piss off the Reddit fanboys. Now we have Felicity tied neatly into the “comic relief” box or the “exposition” box. We finally got to see her have an emotional arc… about a boyfriend who no one really knew anything about, so the audience is wondering why we’re supposed to care about his death.

Susan is there specifically to distance the show from Olicity and the fans who loved that relationship. Carly Pope has a thankless job, being the wrench in the OTP gears of the show. She represents the writers ignoring the fact that one of the things that really got them noticed was the Olicity relationship–why else would it be something for Larry King to bring up?

Yes. There is a significant number of people who watch for the Olicity relationship. Yes, I am one of them. As a fan of this relationship, I feel like the writers no longer care why I watched in the first place, and the narrative involving Susan Williams is one I just don’t care about. And isn’t that what you’re supposed to do with TV characters? Make people care about them?

• kath says:

Yes to everything you said.
        I don’t watch for Olicity but I do enjoy it. Right now between Susan, Rene (get rid of him!), Evelyn, Idiot Curtis and Thea stuck doing nothing but propping Oliver and Quentin, there’s very little I enjoy on the show these days. Certainly Sad Felicity doesn’t help at all.

• Lex says:

I will admit to liking Rene because he bursts the pomposity of all the drama–he’s a truth-teller who cuts through the bull–, like Sawyer on Lost and Spike on Buffy. And Rory’s kinda cute… they’re a little fun… but they should be the side dish to OTA’s main course–and yes, OTA always included unresolved sexual tension between Oliver and Felicity.

• I totally agree with you, I have invested my time over 4 years in Arrow and for the writers to suddenly go backwards defies everything I found good in the Series. Olicity is not the only reason I followed Arrow but it was a big part of it and I feel let down that now they are saying its ‘dead and buried’. Oliver is definitely going backwards. I would like to see Felicity leave OTA and possibly get a job with Argus and make it on her own. Marc Guggenheim has hinted ‘big things’ for her in the second half, well how about dropping some hints Marc to keep me watching.

• barbara says:

I totaly agree with you only difference is not work for Argus but become a superhero that she has deserved for so long Felicity aka Emily Bett Rickards is the only regular female that has not got this honor if anyone noticed her and Cisco wasnt in the photo they were a big part of the crossover in saving the superheros from the aliens getting them back the writers always leave Felicity out so she is due

• kath says:

The Susan character came on lying to and screwing over Thea so she can get the dirt on Oliver. Then we see that she’s paying off someone to get the truth that Oliver wasn’t on the island the whole time, then she’s texting with someone in Russia to get more dirt on him. And she’s bribing Oliver’s staff to tell her when he’s done working so she can waylay him to take him out for a drinks date.
      Oliver said that she was his date for the Holiday party, and after killing Felicity’s boyfriend and leaving her alone crying, he goes to Susan for “comfort”. (Marc Guggenheim said they’re sleeping together.)
      I’m tired of Oliver being as stupid as a box of rocks. I saw this scenario with Isabel in season 2, not interested in repeating the same thing in season 5.

• barbara says:

I dont dislike her either and I dont believe its because hes not with Felicity I just dont think she fits him as a girlfriend is she going to understand his being Green Arrow I dont think she would she is in it for the story I believe look how she did Thea and that should be a wake up call for Oliver Her being a reporter is not going to work with his secret life

8. The ceremony wasn’t public. Everyone at the ceremony was vetted.

9. Lex says:

Stephen, stop trying to make Susan happen! She’s not going to happen!

10. Sbrellah says:

Depending on how this plays out, I really think the big secret that Oliver wasn’t on the island the whole time and that the island was not deserted could be an awesome wrap up to the flashback component of the series. This would be the ultimate big secret of Oliver’s finally coming out. However, I do not want this to some how hurt his image as mayor/cause him to lose his job as mayor. That part would seem wrong, as that is how he is trying to “save the city” during the day and as the Green Arrow. Oliver was taking the fight to a new level by doing both jobs. But honestly, I would love for those secrets to come out.

After the crossover and thank you from the president, it would be nice if some support could be sent poor John Diggle’s way as he heads back to prison. He did help save the planet. Dig needs to get back to Team Arrow ASAP.