The Voice predictions

The Voice Predictions: Who's at Risk on Semifinal Results Night?

Is predicting the results of The Voice Season 11 semifinals as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4?

At first glance, it looks that way.

With only a quartet of artists set to advance to the finale, half the field will be culled by the end of Tuesday’s results telecast (8/7c on NBC). And interestingly enough, there’s a foursome of vocalists who managed to crack the Top 10 of the iTunes singles chart by the close of voting time — qualifying them for the coveted 5x sales vote multiplier that will give them an edge over their rivals.

Even more eye-popping? The lucky fellas — Billy, Sundance, Josh and Christian — occupy the top four slots on the aforementioned countdown.

Granted, downloads are only one component of the elimination equation — there’s also online, Facebook and Voice app votes to consider — but over the last several seasons, with only a few exceptions, those at or near the bottom of the sales chart have found themselves fighting for a Twitter save.

On tonight’s show, the top three vote-getters will automatically move to the finale, while the bottom two artists will be sent home immediately.

Then, the middle three artists will compete in the Instant Save for the last spot in the finale.

Let’s make some educated guesses about who’s at risk:

Ranking on iTunes Singles Chart at Close of Voting (Tuesday, Noon ET)
1. Billy Gilman (Team Adam), “I Surrender”
2. Sundance Head (Team Blake), “Love Can Build a Bridge”
3. Josh Gallagher (Team Adam), “Danny’s Song”
4. Christian Cuevas (Team Alicia), “To Worship You I Live (Away)”
11. Brendan Fletcher (Team Adam), “Angel”
12. Wé McDonald (Team Alicia), “Scars to Your Beautiful”
14. Ali Caldwell (Team Miley), “I Will Always Love You”
42. Aaron Gibson (Team Miley), “Everything I Do (I Do It For You)”

Billy and Sundance have been crushing it on iTunes all season, and (along with Wé), receiving the lion’s share of hype from the coaches and EP Mark Burnett. They’re mortal locks to occupy two of next week’s finale slots.

Josh at No. 3 presents an interesting twist in the plot. He’s been toward the bottom half of the sales pack for a few weeks now, but benefitted on Monday from what I’d argue was his strongest showing of the live shows to date — at the exact moment several of his more popular competitors stumbled. Does he have the existing fan base, however, to keep him in the Top 3 once app and Facebook votes are tallied? I’m guessing the answer is “no,” and if he winds up in the Twitter Save showdown, that will open the door for Brendan, Wé or Ali to sneak into the finale.

Meanwhile, Christian’s had back-to-back Top 10 iTunes showings, and while I wasn’t crazy about his vocal on Monday, he seems to be peaking in popularity at the exact right moment. I’m guessing he’s a safe bet to advance, too, especially since religious-themed music is extremely popular among The Voice faithful. Look for him to snag the third automatic spot in the finale.

In the Instant Save sing-off, then, expect to see Josh, Wé and either Brendan or Ali. And because The Voice‘s Chosen Ones rarely (if ever) fall short of the finale, I’m guessing Wé will sing last, get glowing remarks from multiple coaches and advance, giving freshman coach (and scheduled Season 12 returnee) Alicia Keys a role in the finale. (Sorry, Miley! But if you make good on your promise to turn Ali into a superstar, you can be a winner, too!)

Predictions
Advancing: Billy, Sundance, Christian, Wé
Eliminated: Ali, Josh, Aaron, Brendan

Who do you think will and should advance to the finale? Are you surprised by Josh’s big iTunes moment? Share your thoughts in the comments!

1. MicoMendoza says:

What? Ali should be in the Finale. We’s performance this week is awful.
    My top 4 is Ali, Billy, Sundance, Brendan/Christian

2. Alex Kawa says:

I think Billy, Sundance, and either Josh or Christian will automatically advance, but probably Josh, seeing as how he’s a country singer (granted, from team Adam, but still), and charted higher than Christian on iTunes. I think Aaron and either Wé or Ali will be automatically eliminated, but probably Ali, seeing as how, once again, Wé ranked higher on iTunes not just this week, but every week before. That would leave Christian, Brendan, and Wé singing for the save. I think Brendan will get it, seeing as how Aaron got it three weeks in a row, and he’s kind of cut from the same cloth as Brendan.

3. Abby says:

The sing off usually goes down the line, starting with Blake’s artists and ending with Adam’s. I expect Josh or Brendan to sing last tonight

4. Eurydice says:

It’ll be interesting to see the voting between Ali and We. Ali gave a beautiful, but unoriginal, performance of a boring song. We’s song was totally unsuited to her voice, but her voice is much more original and rich.

Billy’s like a robot and Christian is the opposite. Josh has the expected country twang and Sundance has unexpected soul. My choices would be Sundance, Christian, We and Ali – with the winner being Sundance.

• Lippy says:

I find that We is so entertaining and has a rich voice, I would love to see her in the final. Sundance has so many layers to his singing and performance. Billy has great lungs and good pitch but is suited for belting out notes on Broadway, he is absolutely boring to me. Final four I would love to see is Ali, Sundance, We and Christian

• Eurydice says:

I’m not sure about Billy and Broadway. In musicals, the songs are part of the acting – basically dialogue with music. The actors have to stay in character, convey emotion and sound good, all at the same time. I don’t kniw if Billy can do that.

• Jakay says:

Plus he doesn’t dance as far as we know, he doesn’t look like a matinee idol (think Cheyenne Jackson or Jeremy Jordan) and we have no idea if he can act. He’s a recording artist. He may not be an individual person’s idea of a recording artist, but then neither is Jordan Smith and he’s been a very successful winner for The Voice.

• Lee says:

I don’t see Team Adam having a clean sweep elimination–especially with a lot of female voters out there.

5. Angie_Overrated says:

It wouldn’t shock me to see Josh take We’s spot. Bland white guys with guitars nearly always beat out the black girls. It’s a simple fact on these shows.

6. kevstar69 says:

We’e going to have a problem if We and Ali are both eliminated. We has been consistently good throughout, but faltered a bit last night. Ali was the best vocally last night. Christian showed he is willing to do anything to win. Just sing a gospel song and you advance, even though it wasn’t as good as when CW did it, or the black guy from last year.

7. Voice Fan says:

I wouldn’t count Ali out yet. She didn’t even chart on the top 200 one week and still survived showing she has a lot of fans who don’t buy her records. The only sure bets to be in the top four are Sundance and Billy. The other two spots are up for grabs. I am rooting for Sundance to win. I hate Billy Gilman and think he should go home but being a child star he apparently has enough fans to buy his records and vote for him no matter how bad he sounds. So he could still beat Sundance. Just like Allison Porter beat Adam Wakefield last season.

8. Plastic Elephant says:

I could live with those 4 although I prefer Ali to Christian by a bit. I’d happily trade out Billy for Christian, but that ain’t gonna happen…

9. Carfield says:

I think the only sure bets are Billy and Sundance, and next week, song choices will be the deciding factors, along with their original singles. Thanks to Amazon echo, each of the finalists will get one original song. For the third place, it sound like it might be a fight between Josh and Christian, but I won’t count out We, as she is in spot 12 and has a strong voting base all season long. For the bottom two, it is anyone’s guess, other than Aaron, who really lacks of strong voting base all season long and last night’s song choice is simply bad! My ideal final four will be Billy, Sundance, Ali and We, but that is unlikely going to happen unless the voting is completely different from the chart. Anyway I like a suspenseful show, and too bad, as a West Coast voter, I have to make a decision about the “save me” vote based on their previous performances, not they save me songs.

10. dj says:

I hope Ali sneaks in somehow. I think she is more prepared than We for the kind of pressure that goes with competing in the finale. We has a great voice, but I think the pressure has gotten to her lately. My daughter loves that scars song, but she winced a few times when We was singing it.

11. Dave Kerwin says:

I totally agree with Billy, Sundance and We’ but Ali Caldwell HAS to be in the final 4. Her “I will always love you” is one of those “don’t try it” songs that only a few can master….she did.

12. John says:

To begin, Sundance and Billy gave it their all and were fantastic. Ali and We would be my other choices to send through to the top four. I believe that Christian has folded under the pressure and gave his worse performance to date. Aaron has been barely getting by the last three weeks. Josh is talented but not as talented as Sundance but someone should pick him up for a singing contract. Brendan’s style is good for the bar scene not on stage.

13. Davey says:

I would bet that Brendan got more votes than We last night. He also was no 2 last week. So he will most likely get last singing slot if he has to sing again tonight.

14. Angie_Overrated says:

Josh?!
    People apparently love milquetoast singers with unmemorable vocal ability.

15. In order for winning IMO:
    Billy (by far), Ali, Sundance, We’.

I don’t have an iTunes account but am researching it BC of Billy.

16. Meschell Hall Odle says:

It should have been Ali not Josh I just don’t get it. She rocked the stage two nights in a row

17. Bella says:

Sundace all the way!!!

18. Sue says:

I predicted Billy, Sundance, We, but I really thought Ali should have had the 4th spot.