The Vampire Diaries Spoilers

Vampire Diaries' Candice King Previews Holiday Revelations, 2017 Time Jump

If you’re dreading Christmas with your dysfunctional family, just be glad your last name isn’t Salvatore. Or Forbes. Or Donovan.

Friday’s Vampire Diaries winter finale (The CW, 8/7c) doubles as this season’s big Christmas episode, and Candice King tells TVLine to brace for information overload.

“Basically, you’re going to get a lot of answers to questions you’ve had for a while,” King says, adding, “and we, of course, pose more questions. You’ll learn a lot about Matt’s dad, and the history of [the Donovan] family in Mystic Falls. You’ll also see Damon and Stefan, and what happens next for them.”

(The history of the Donovan family, eh? During a recent visit to the Vampire Diaries set, Zach Roerig told TVLine how bummed he was that the producers dropped an early storyline about Matt’s mom being a succubus, which would make Matt an incubus. Can you even imagine?)

OK, now here’s the biggie: “When we come back in January,” King says, “there’s going to be a time jump. Not another three-year one, but it’s a time jump.”

As for what the rest of the season has in store for Mystic Falls’ finest, King admits she’s totally in the dark.

“[Executive producer Julie Plec] hasn’t been in town, so I haven’t been able to give her a big ol’ glass of wine and get answers out of her,” she says. “I knew a couple of different options from before, but I think they might have changed at this point.”

So, how are you hoping The Vampire Diaries will end in 2017? Drop your ideas in a comment below.

1. kate says:

They still have to catch up to the Originals’ time frame which means, I think, it will be a two year time jump at least because you would assume it takes Hayley an episode or two to find the remaining werewolves and however long it takes the Mikaelsons to get into New Orleans enough to get to the compound to free Klaus (if they know he is actually there, though that is probably what Hope is for).

• Tara says:

They are not going to catch up with the Originals. None of the originals characters will cross over. TO doesnt start until after TVD ends after a time jump. Candice specifically said it wouldnt be another 3 year jump,2 year is not that different. So far Alaric is the ONLY confirmed TVD character crossing over in episode 8 of season 4.

• Yes, I believe that TO are filming their Finale while TVD have still three episodes left to film. At last count TVD was filming ep 13. That means the only crossover will be Alaric.

• Stacey says:

I do think there will be a crossover for the TVD finale since the Mikaelsons played a big part in the series. Would be a huge letdown if not.

• Hallie says:

If the mikelsons are part of this season it is more likely they will appear on TVD then any of TVD cast moving to TO (since TVD is taping three extra episodes after TO end) it would be extremely difficult to pull any of TVD cast to do any season 4 episodes of TO. Ric can easily be pulled out for an episode (which more then likely will not appear or seen very little in episode 8) but many of the others can not.

2. marydspain says:

Time to jump to June! :D

• Bree says:

Pls get real the Time jump will probably be only a few months so they can have Stefan and Damon story more developed especially Stefan now that he is also killing people and give the rest of the MFG time to except there new reality. As for the originals that FF won’t happen till near the end of the season to reconnect both shows especially with Rick doing an episode on the originals there will be some reference to why he is going and I doubt JP would not use a scene or two to promote the originals season.

3. Mally says:

YES. Catch up to TO please for some more crossovers :)

4. Val M says:

Time Jump to cathc up to The Originals so Caroline can crossover.

• Stacey says:

Yes! We need Klaroline!

• Sara says:

TO will finish filming December 15th. Claire & Nate are on set now to film the finale.

They’re out of time for crossovers, and they’ve never had any real interest in doing them. They’ve always been the opposite of the Arrowverse.

5. Mery says:

I’m confused but I hope this means they’re going to catch up to The Originals so we can finally see a Klaroline Reunion 🙏

6. Leah says:

Some of the options have changed? Wonder if BC of ratings

7. Ana says:

I wish this time jump was a two years time jump so TVD would be in the same time line as TO and we could have some Klaroline

8. Ella says:

Hopefully It’s a 2 year time jump so they can catch up on The Originals timeline and some characters can crossover (Caroline)👀

9. Flashrow says:

I am lost, has the Originals a 5 years time jump? I thought it has the same three years that had TVD

• Stacey says:

Yes, when TO returns it will be roughly 2 years ahead of the TVD current timeline. That’s why when Care went to NOLA to look for Klaus, the bartender said nobody has seen him for 3 years. Hope this helps!

10. a says:

Bitch good luck getting roles with your cheesy tacky southern girl acting when tvd ends.Be a full time mom and post same position pictures with husband on instagram

11. Liz says:

Wow a CK article that is not heavily promoting Steroline. People I think we made some progress!! Steroline might actually end! Here’s hoping!

• Stacey says:

I am with you! I know for once she wasn’t spewing her utter love of Steroline. Maybe she’ll get her own SL that doesn’t involve magical babies or Salvatores. I can hope! We miss circa S2 -S4 Caroline, she was amazing!

12. tara says:

honestly Candice is the best! we love you! but not so excited about the Donavans!

13. Kristen says:

I know it’s a longshot but here’s hoping we at least see Caroline once in NOLA with Klaus actually in the scene this time before both series end.

14. Zeus pimentel says:

Okay the vampire diaries is a big deal of my life and has made me change for me. I want the vampire diaries to end peacefully having nina dobrev back is the key to everything damon will not fully recover but it would knock in sense into him ( having his memories back with elena) and i want matt to be something like a part of the crew but stronger than them

15. Robin Favel says:

why is elena not coming back to the show?she is the favorite of the show.

• Casey says:

Actually not everyone likes Elena. I like the show better without her – I was so tired of the brothers mooning over miss “perfect” Really i guess you could say i watched the show in spite of her

16. Guest says:

I hope they don’t do anymore crossovers and Caroline does not come to TO. Caroline is absolutely horrible now and she’s not going to get better on TO with them coming up with flimsy reasons for Caroline to be around and continuing to deny that she is a useless and annoying love interest only character. All of the characters in TVD are pretty awful. I’m glad this show is coming to an end. Julie Plec really ran this and TO into the ground. TO can improve if they drastically reduce screen time for Hayley (atrociously written ship bait) and romance in general. Just put TVD out of it’s misery and spend time in TO on the actual characters people want to see – everyone except Hayley and her nonsensical adventures. Actual character development (not just having them eye bang and yearn for someone) is what both shows needed and need.

17. Maria says:

COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT DONOVANS BACKGROUND. i am more interested of getting more Background on the Brothers.

18. Kai says:

I hope Katherine comes back from hell.

19. Robert Carter says:

I want TVD to end with Elena in it

20. Selina pasko says:

Stephan and Elena ! Come on !!!! That is the way it should be and everyone knows it .

21. Selina pasko says:

Also if Enzo gives Bonnie his blood and then she say , gets hit by a car or something causing a natural death , she’s a vampire but Elena wakes up. And Klaus and Caroline should be together . Katherine should come back too and Damon can have her

22. Ayinlar Taiwo says:

Time Jump!!! Guys, what the hell? Is it gonna be a Time Jump to another hunter’s craze? Please, this is the final season. Let’s just give attention to the present and those therein instead of starting a whole new time period. Besides, there are just about 9 episodes left now.

23. Stacy Thennis says:

I am very heartbroken that vampire diaries is ending so soon when their are TV shows that have 15 episodes or more I have grown over the years watching all these actors and i have bawled my eyes out watching them lol but they are amazing ppl and I hope that most of them move over to the originals it would be amazing so I just want to say I love you all especially Stephan OMG wow and Damon I also love Carolyn, bonnie and elana amazing jobs you guys are great.