Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Supernatural Boss: Negan Has Not Killed a John Winchester Comeback

Turns out The Walking Dead’s Negan can’t whack everything in his path.

Supernatural exec producer Andrew Dabb tells TVLine that Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s relatively new status as one of TV’s biggest evildoers ever does not preclude his potential return as Sam and Dean’s pa, John Winchester.

“I don’t really worry about that because by the time he comes back, I’m sure [Supernatural] will have been on for 20 seasons at that point, and The Walking Dead will be long over,” he says with a laugh before noting that “Jeffrey’s an amazing actor… He plays such a great bad guy. But at the same time… if you give him really good material, he can go back to being someone we know and love and someone we can empathize with.

“I have full faith in him as an actor,” the EP adds, “and I’m excited to see [him return as John] if it ever comes to pass.”

Should you need a reminder that, in addition to a bat-wielding menace, Morgan can also play “a caring, loving father,” Dabb suggests you go back and rewatch Supernatural’s  Season 2 premiere, in which John “sacrifices his life” to save Dean. However, Dabb is quick to point out that John also has some darkness in him — although it’s hardly Negan-level dark. “John would not win Father of the Year,” he notes. “He was a guy who was haunted by his own demons.” (Reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Cordell Garrett says:

Long as he knows he’s a hunter and not a skullbasher

2. Dennis says:

And Denny in Grey’s Anatomy!!!

3. Gerald says:

I’d say yes he has, but to me he is long gone on Supernatural and I didn’t want him to come back even before he took on the Negan role.

4. John says:

Please let at least one dead character on Supernatural STAY dead.

5. Wordsmith says:

It’s kind of funny how many shows are operating in constant fear of cancellation, while Supernatural seems to have this almost forlorn acceptance of the fact that they will keep running forever.

6. Dominique says:

oh please. the only way john winchester will probably return is in a series finale. they haven’t brought him in 11 years, i doubt they plan on it now. they still haven’t addressed the fact that sam and dean have a brother still trapped in hell, so i won’t get my hopes up now.

7. Tired of Negan says:

I’ll take John over Negan ANY DAY.

8. Pat says:

He could pop up any time at the end of any season. The Walking Dead’s filming is over before Supernatural finishes shooting its last few episodes of the season. No scheduling conflicts at all. (unless he has something else booked)

9. Dakota60 says:

Oh please don’t bring John back. These wrtiers struggle to write for the cast they have. I would hate it more than I can imagine if he is brought back and completely botched by our current showrunner.

10. Mitsotakis says:

Please take him and give us a good actor to play Negan.

11. Susan Giammarino says:

I will cry tears of joy if his happens!

12. Brenda Musselman says:

Please bring him back. I am a supernatural addict. No matter if they are reruns or up to date. Love this show.

13. I’ll believe it when I see it. Jeremy Carver also said he would love to have JDM back and JD said several times he would love to come back. It’s been years and it hasn’t happened. It’ll be a wonderful surprise but I’m done holding my breath lol. Maybe season 22 in an episode called Gunsmoke?

14. Anne Kober says:

Love him no matter who he plays. Hope he’s Negan for a while. Love to watch him perform. It would also great to see him reunite wirh his Supernatural family.

15. Sharon Narcisse says:

Just bring him back…clearly his wife misses him…let’s see some true winchester but kicking with mom and dad alongside Sam and Dean.

16. Nancy Strain says:

Didn’t he play on Grey’s anatomy too?

17. Jillian says:

“I don’t really worry about that because by the time he comes back, I’m sure [Supernatural] will have been on for 20 seasons at that point and The Walking Dead will be long over”

Ooh, shade.

18. well give him a excellent script so he can come back to supernatural!

19. Gregory busch says:

i want john back the boys need them both. a family reunion would be a great episode. team winchester! i started watching the walking because of jeffrey dean morgan. to me he will always be john winchester but he is pretty awesome as negan. please bring john back.

20. Ella says:

How silly – he’s an actor. Why should one role affect another???

21. Patti Dungan says:

I LOVE SUPERNATURAL. JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN HAS BEEN ONE OF MY FAVORITE ACTORS FROM THE FIRST TIME I EVER SAW HIM PREFORM. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING SUPERNATURAL FROM DAY ONE. MY FAVORITE SHOW. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELPED MAKE IT POSSIBLE. MY WISH IS TO HAVE THE ENTIRE SERIES OF MY OWN. THANK YOU AGAIN